“A little extra cost but SO worth it!!”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #33 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I researched numerous hotels in the Pittsburgh area as I was going to be in the area for a week for business and vacation, a combined trip! While the Springhill suites was a bit more pricey than some of the other options, but it was the closest to where I was needing to be so I ended up settling on it. Even before I set out on my trip I was impressed.

I booked several weeks in advance and had to call to change my room arrangements. I originally had a king size suite, but ended up having more guests going with me so I called to see if I could get a double room. Customer service was fast and friendly. They changed my room to a double queen size suite and updated my info from 1 guest to 3 adults and a baby. There was no extra cost, no fuss, no muss.

A few hours before arrival I called and asked to have a crib put in the room. A pack and play was waiting for us upon our arrival and the little blankets were folded in fancy hotel shapes!

The hotel was fairly easy to find, and parking was free. It can be a little annoying as you park on the 4th floor of the parking garage. There is a door with an elevator inside that will take you to the second floor where you enter the hotel lobby (where the hotel elevators are located). The problem is upon arrival someone has to go in, go down to the second floor, get a luggage cart, bring it back up, load it and then get back in the elevator, go down to the hotel, check in and get back into an elevator....this only happens upon arrival and check out, so it's not that big of a deal just be forewarned that there will be no luggage carts waiting for you until you go down the elevator to get it.

The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a small bar that has food and drinks...the food is good, a bit pricey but it is a hotel bar. The outdoor firepit on the balcony is beautiful but was not working when we were there.

The rooms were gorgeous. The toilet is located in one small room and the shower in the other with a sink in both-this was very helpful when getting ready!

The hotel provides daily passes for the gym attached which has a large lap pool. The hotel has a small pool of their own on the lowest level. It is a SALT WATER POOL. It is slightly odd, but it truly is a salt water pool so be careful when letting children swim because it will burn eyes and may irritate skin.

The hotel offers a shuttle service within 10 miles of the hotel. All you have to do is schedule your ride at the front desk 24 hours in advance. If you have children in a car seat or booster seat, they will not provide shuttle service though. The hotel is within easy driving distance from many attractions such as the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium, Walnut Street shopping district, the Monoroeville Mall and is easy walking distance to many shops.

The hotel is clean, modern and definitely a place I will be returning to-in December, in fact!
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and will be returning myself!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Jessica C,

Thank you so much for your rave review of our hotel and your experience staying with us. We’re happy to hear you and your guests enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to accommodate your needs. I’m glad you enjoyed the surrounding area as well and ventured out to experience some of our great tourist attractions. We anticipate our next visit with you in December.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a great stay here in July with two kids (ages 9 and 11). No complaints except for the fact that we planned on spending a few hours at the pool that is advertised on Springhill's website as an amenity and ended up with two very disappointed children because you MUST BE 12 to use that pool. They directed us to a pool in their basement (that is nowhere on SpringHill's website and for good reason) It is 8'x10' (approx) - why bother?... and I'm being kind.
Everything else was GREAT but that was a big downer for the kids unfortunately....My suggestion is that this should be very clear on the SpringHill website for future families staying there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Murphy703
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Murphy703,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. We’re very happy to hear your family had a pleasant stay with us. I apologize for the pool admittance policy. We offer an Urban Active adult lap pool as well as a children’s pool. Our surrounding area, as you may know, also offers museums, a zoo, conservatory, and many other family attractions. We hope you will come and stay with us again as we value your business greatly.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hotel provides free shuttle service within the 3 miles radius. Complimentary fitness and gym facilities for hotel guest. You won't find many restaurant in walking distance but you can rely on the free shuttle service. There are only 2 restaurants at Bakery Square, i.e. Jimmy John and Pamera Bread. Overall the service is very good with friendly staffs....especially Edward T. (see photo below). Ed is very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: You may ask for room facing the Penn Ave (front of the hotel) so that you can get a better and beaut...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

YeeHui,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. I’m glad to hear you utilized our free shuttle service and enjoyed your stay. I’m pleased to hear you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, especially Ed. I’ll make sure he receives a special commendation for his outstanding service. We hope you will visit us again the next time you’re in the Pittsburgh area.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The most wonderful thing about this hotel was the staff. Each and every staff member I met in the 10 days I stayed was pleasant, helpful, accommodating, friendly, and genuine. Each staff member I met was great, but Ed was one-in-a-million. This man enjoys his job so much and has such a positive attitude that it was truly an inspiration. Thank you SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square for making my stay memorable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Travis328,

Your stay with us was a delight and we appreciate your kind review on TripAdvisor. I’m glad to hear that our staff was an exceptional part of your enjoyable stay with us and will make sure to mention your comments to Ed. We hope to see you again at SpringHill Suites.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Room is very clean and spacious.
Staff is friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is the best among all the Marriott I've ever stayed in.
Plus free parking.
I'll stay here again if I have opportunity back to Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Purplexsu,
It’s nice to hear from you on TripAdvisor and receive a wonderful review about our hotel. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and ranked it ‘among the best’. I appreciate your compliments about our exceptional staff as well. Please make a point to come and stay with us again the next time you visit Pittsburgh.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I recently stayed at the Springhill Suites Bakery Square with my husband and son. From the hotel description, Bakery Square sounded like a location outside of the city with shopping and restaurants. Instead we found a great, clean, new hotel with a Panera and a kids toy store in the middle of a scary run down area. We had to drive for a long time to get to anywhere with decent restaurants or shopping. Overall, a disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Tobi4281

Tobi4281,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We’re happy to have had you and your family stay with us at SpringHill Suites. Our hotel is great and we offer clean, comfortable suites as well as exceptional service for our guests. I’m sorry you found our surrounding area to be a disappointment because we do have a variety of restaurants and shopping venues in this newly restored area of Pittsburgh. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The stafff was wonderful from the time we walked into the hotel until we left.
Maureen M at the front desk was super friendly and extremely helpful with printing
off directions and giving advice. Beautiful rooms and overall cleanliness. Wish we
had more time to use the free pass to the state of the art fitness center attached to the
building.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

John A,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your great compliments about our staff and especially mentioning Maureen. I will make sure that she receives the proper commendation from your review. We’re happy to have had you stay with us while visiting Pittsburgh and truly hope you will stay with us again.