“Nice, new hotel in Pittsburgh” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #35 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Nice, new hotel in Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

We have stayed here twice now, one time for seven nights and most recently we stayed for five nights. We come to Pittsburgh a few times a year to visit our kids and grandchildren and have tried several hotels in the area. So far this hotel is our favorite in Pittsburgh. The hotel is fairly new and the rooms are quite roomy. Internet is free and a good breakfast is included. The rooms are bright and the lighting is great. The beds are comfortable. The rooms have refrigerators and microwaves. the staff are very nice. There's a gym next door and some shopping and restaurants nearby. So try this place your next time in Pittsburgh.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lake Worth, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

Despite some lack of vision in an "environmentally sound" design (such as HEAVY sliding bathroom and shower doors that have nothing to absorb the shock of being closed thus being able to hear your neighbor's and the people the floor above and below crashing shut, or having to run the water and the television so your spouse does not have to hear every nuance of your nature call, and the wide space under the door that lets way too much light in and sound from people in the hallway) the hotel is hip, vibrant and great.

I grew up near here and went to the school across the street 35 years ago so it is heartwarming to see what is happening to what was such a depressed area. My wife, from England, can't believe all that this place has to offer, especially with us being fitness enthusiasts and free access to Urban Fitness is a major PLUS to staying at this hotel. The free breakfast is above par, the free parking and shuttle driver anxious to get you to a great hotel or place to shop is a rarity.

One thing that really bothers us is the reviewer of 3/28 who had made it a point to rip apart the front desk staff, namely Rosalind. I am not sure what parallel universe this person was on but Rosalind and the staff make up for any deficiency in the design flaws noted above. Rosalind was on duty when we checked in from a long morning's travel from our home in Florida as we came here to celebrate Mom's 80th birthday. Mom and Dad picked us up at the airport and brought us here. It was Rosalind who welcomed us,, made a huge fuss over my Mom and even though our room was not ready (it was way before check in time) she offered to hold our bags so we could take off and return later and get into our room quite easily. Before we had time to leave she was able to get housekeeping to ready up a room and get us into it in about 15-minutes during which we had coffee and fresh fruit always available in the lobby, not to mention those wacky lollipops at the front counter.

Our original room was near an elevator on a low floor and the morning after our first night we noted that being light sleepers we found it quite disturbing. Rosalind immediately offered a solution to move us to the top floor at the end of the hall which is extremely quiet and by the short time we managed to switch rooms, with help of Al, the houseman who is always smiling and offering a hello, an awaiting handwritten note apologizing for any convenience along with a selection of cookies and candies was the most awesome of gestures.

Rosalind is the epitome of customer service and hotel staff excellence and we know we will see her as a general manager of her own property (hopefully a Marriott) in the near future!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamLovesMarriotts
KellyAnn88, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Hi SamLovesMarriott- Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate the kind words on the staff. They work hard to accommodate requests and problem-solve since that is what we are here to do. Making people happy makes for an enjoyable time with our guests! We have made improvements to our hotel since our opening a year ago to address feedback like yours, as that is my integral role as General Manager. To list a few:

We have upgraded windows on the south façade which is closer to vehicular traffic to significantly reduce noise pollution.

We have upgraded door closers to reduce “slamming” doors.
In October of 2010 we rolled out a bar menu providing an in-room dining option, which has become increasingly popular!

We added more pre-set towels in our bathrooms at the request of our guests.
We have expanded our breakfast selection to include two protein choices and two styles of scrambled eggs everyday!
And more… All these upgrade are in response to feedback like yours.

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and for visiting us at Bakery Square.
Francisco, General Manager
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at the hotel Friday and Saturday night on the weekend of March 25. The rooms themselves were clean and well laid-out, the breakfast buffet was tasty, and the free parking was definitely a plus. Biggest issue is with the check-in staff, particularly the AM crew. The main desk runner (I believe her name was Rosalind) was entirely unhelpful, and created an issue all three days.
On Friday, I called the morning before I checked in to see if a bottle of champagne could be sent to the room prior to my arrival with my wife. Not complimentary, of course, though I've stayed at hotels that would have comped it of their own initiative. Rosalind told me that the hotel was booked and that at that hour she didn't know what room I would be staying in. Understandable, but that was the extent of her effort to help. Even though I told her I would not be checking in until 5pm she made no effort to suggest an alternative solution, such as leaving a note for the afternoon staff to help, or even asking for my contact information to call me later.
On Saturday morning, another friend arrived at the hotel, and asked if he could check in early. Instead of a simple, "I'm sorry sir, but the hotel was full last night so we can't offer anything other than the standard check-in time" this woman spent a good 3-5 minutes explaining what could have been said in one sentence. The answer was no, and it really didn't require deep analysis or further explanation.
Finally, on Sunday morning, two friends (staying in two separate rooms) asked for a late check out. The first asked what the latest check-out time she could get was, and told the clerk her flight was at 5. Rosalind offered 1pm. Not a big help, especially since the hotel was likely not fully booked on a Sunday night. More troublingly, when our second friend made the same request, he was told 12:30pm. I assume this was simply an oversight, and not based on the fact that the first request came from a white, blonde woman and the second from a man of Arab descent, but it really didn't look good...
This is not to suggest that the overall experience at the hotel was substandard, in fact it was a very nice hotel. As for Rosalind, this is not even to suggest that she is not capable of running the front desk, rather that she does not reflect the high standards that I have come to expect when staying at a Marriott. Put another way, there's a difference between doing your job and giving a damn. (She clearly did not.)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello PotatoBall! I have reviewed your comments along with our department heads. Our managers and I encourage opportunities to better train and support our associates. In our capacity we can corroborate what our representatives communicate, rectify deficiencies, and develop training on what are good and not so good practices. This is best achieved with timely feedback provided directly to us when the problem occurs.

Early check-in, late check-out and room blockings, for example, are dictated by occupancy; we empower our agents to use their discretion learned through our guidance and training to balance the interests of guest-in house, those arriving, and our housekeeping staff trying to efficiently service the rooms. You mentioned the rooms were clean, and that is possible by, at times, limiting early check-ins and late check-outs to enable housekeeping to clean, inspect and prepare special requests (cribs, prepare sleeper sofas, feather free etc…)

On behalf of Rosalind, our managers and myself: We love what we do and work hard to fulfill our roles with integrity and sincerity. Positive and negative feedback keeps us accountable and working to be the best.

Kindest Regards,
Francisco, General Manager
Lenox, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

The room was great - clean, big, plenty of plugs and closets and space for the kids to sleep and play, nice beds. The gym next door was fantastic, with a kids gym and child care too, and the service was great. Small pool but lots of fun to splash in as it was warm, and loved the next door smoothie bar, free wifi and internet stations too. Great vacation!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Othermail,

Thank you so much for your review- I appreciate how you listed the features that appealed to you. We are very fortunate to have a partnership with Urban Active which complements our hotel’s amenities. We have a beautiful hotel with a dedicated staff and appreciate you for recognizing it.

Safe Travels,
Francisco
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed here for a college visit for my son at Pitt. The location was good. There are closer hotels, but this was only 15 minutes from the main part of campus and the shuttle dropped us off and picked us up wherever we wanted to go. Their rooms have a split bath set up toilet/sink and separate shower/sink which really helps when 3 people are trying to get ready. Free parking and breakfast. Be sure to request an even numbered room so you are on the more quiet side of the building. (There's a bus depot on the other side). The rooms have iPod docks, two queen beds with sofa, nice desk and closet. Nice small bar area and breakfast area. It's farther away from Pitt than some of the hotels, but with the shuttle it worked out well. Only complaint was Saturdary morning breakfast needed to be better attended to by the staff as things were running out.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KellyAnn88, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Thanks TitanMom16 for taking the time to write such a nice review of your stay with us! I am glad you found the split bathroom and our shuttle service to Pitt helpful. Breakfast on weekends are quite busy as it is a popular amenity and time for families to catch up. We work hard to keep everything stocked and looking sharp. We run the buffet from 6:30am-9:30am during the week and 7am-10am on weekends, and encourage guest to come down early and beat the closing rush. We definitely strive for continuous improvement in this and all areas, so appreciate your feedback. We look forward to being of service to you and your family again!

Best regards,
Francisco Selles, General Manager
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

As part of my job, I travel to alot of different cities and stay at many different hotels. Currently, I am working in Pittsburgh and will be for the next 6 months. I have been staying at Springhill Suites at Bakery Square every week since Feb 2011. This hotel is wonderfully clean, bright, and efficient. The staff at the front desk (Tim) are always very welcoming and do their very best to make me feel like I am coming home. The drivers (Layman, Dominic and Albert) are timely and courteous. The restaurant (room service) is a great addition for those late nights when I don't feel like going out to eat. Zack is very accomodating and timely with my meals. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank shayellen
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

I've always been a Courtyard junkie and never actually stayed at a Springhill Suites before. Needless to say, I was shocked when I found out that internet, parking and breakfast were all free. For a cheap guy like myself, that was music to my ears. This is probably the most unique hotel I've ever stayed at. It's modern, clean and simple.
The staff is very nice and genuine. Their relaxed attitudes are what made me feel the most comfortable. One evening, I went to to desk to get a few ideas for dinner, and within 30 seconds, Zack, Al and Tim gave me a ton of options, then insisted that I use the hotel shuttle so I wouldn't have to drive.
The hotel is newer, so there isn't much to do closeby, but the shuttle dropped me off in Shadyside and picked me up, all for free. So that basically solved the only complaint I had about the place.
I think it's safe to say that staying anywhere else is going to be a challenge.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KellyAnn88, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Thanks AndrewBL009 for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us. I will pass along your comments to Zack, Al, Tim and the rest of our team. We look forward to being of service to you in the future!

Truly yours,