All reviews train tracks hot metal bridge room facing the river within walking distance carson street rooms are large shuttle service short drive free shuttle would stay here again staff was very friendly and helpful free breakfast nice stay steelers game parking downtown kitchenette
Reviewed September 16, 2018

My family stayed two nights near the end of August. We had little need for interaction with any staff, but check in and check out went very smoothly and housekeeping was fine. Breakfast was decent with a fair variety of average quality foods. The pool and workout room were decent as well, no complaints. I had asked for a quieter room after learning at the last minute about the train tracks next to the hotel. We were accommodated on the top floor, a corner suite that was roomy, comfortable and tastefully decorated, with a very nice river view. Whether it was partly that spot, or just luck, it was indeed very quiet inside hotel itself.... Except for the train. Yup, several times each night (and I assume, during the day, although we were out a lot) the train not only trundles down the track, but toots its horn! If you're a deep and easy sleeper, or you love trains, it probably won't bother you. If you're not, it's gonna wake you up.

But by far the worst was the pull out sofa bed. I personally took the sofa bed, and it was torture. I could feel every spring digging into my back all night, it was perhaps the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on. The second night, I didn't pull out the mattress at all but just squeezed lengthwise on top of the cushions and it was a vast improvement. The quality of the sofa bed was in drastic contrast to the rest of our experience, and I implore any management who may read this review to investigate your sofa beds.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view only view to minimize train noise.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2018

My wife and I decided to take a little "mini" vacation in Pittsburgh to visit with family and friends and spent a couple nights here. I made reservations online using Marriott Rewards points and everything went off without a hitch.

Every staff member we encountered was courteous, professional and polite. The woman who handled our check-in on 8/23/18, Linda, was fantastic. She was very welcoming, accommodating, personable and professional. She made us feel like we were special guests in her place and did an exemplary job.

The room was large and had 2 windows with gorgeous views. (Pictures included) It was clean, well stocked and came with a little welcoming note from the housekeeping staff. The little kitchenette was a nice convenience and both the refrigerator and microwave were clean.

The complimentary breakfast was good, not great. But with all the great little restaurants that serve breakfast within walking distance (Waffles Incaffeinated, Bartram's Bakery, The Cheescake Factory) a pastry or 2 to tide you over is more than sufficient.

All in all, next time we want to stay in the "city", we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Property was nice in great location on the Southside but staff seemed new, not very experienced and not very accustomed to offering good customer service. Seemed disinterested and price is high, even for the Southside. Should also offer discounts for Marriott Rewards members as staff wouldn’t provide any

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank beachfamilyusa
Lindsay B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Good Afternoon!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I will sure your comments with our staff so that this may be utilized as a training scenario for them. Our best rates can always be found on Marriott.com and this is where you will find any discount rates that are available. Our desk staff does not always have access to match the rates that are found on the website. Some of these rates can only be found by booking online.
Your loyalty to Marriot means a lot to us and I hope that you will try us again when you are in the area. Please don't hesitate to let me know how I can assist you in the future.

Thank you!

Reviewed August 13, 2018

I had made reservations for a room several months in advance, but when we arrived at 5pm to check in, we were informed that because of a wedding and the Steelers being in town, we had been bumped! Well I had never had that happen before! The young lady at the desk said it was 'first come, first serve'. So much for reservations. They did give us a voucher that covered the cost of a room at Holiday Inn Express, so at least we were compensated, but it was so noisy there that we hardly were able to sleep. The big question was, why weren't we informed before arrival of the cancellation?

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Lindsay B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2018

Good Afternoon Ann S

I am truly sorry we were not able to honor your reservation for your night. When you have a moment please give me a call at the hotel so that we might be able to talk in person about your experience. I appreciate your feedback and I will utilize your experience as additional training for our staff.

I look forward to speaking with you.

412-488-8003

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

This hotel seems to have some operational challenges. During my stay the elevator did not work so you needed to call down so they could sent it up. They also incorrectly billed me (which they corrected) but it did not seem to be overly smooth. That said the rooms are very large and have a microwave plus a desk area. Parking is an additional 18 dollars. The hotel is a good value overall. I was disappointed with the institutional eggs and bacon. However, they had a large selection of others items. The breakfast was included with the room.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
Lindsay B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Good Afternoon!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry for the billing error you may have received but am glad the staff was able to assist in getting it resolved for you. Our goal is always to provide a carefree experience for our guests and I am sorry if we did not meet this expectation for you.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future. Please let me know if I can assist with anything in the future for you.

Thank you!