“The TRAIN Hotel!”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works
Ranked #63 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We have stayed here twice while our daughter was attending a Carnegie Melon summer program. The first trip we stayed in a front facing room, this trip we were placed into a back of building room. The hotel is new and clean, but there is one HUGE issue: TRAINS!!!!

We were booked into a King Suite on the back of the hotel. Note: All even number rooms face the train tracks, about 30 feet away (see photo) and all the odd numbered rooms face the front of the hotel along a jogging trail and river. The front of the hotel is fine, the back of the hotel makes it almost impossible to get a restful nights sleep. Trains run through about every 90 minutes and blow a very loud whistle as they approach the hotel, followed by the rumbling of freight cars.

We asked asked to be moved to a front facing room for the second night of our trip and all was fine.

One other issue: Housekeeping can do a better job here. My wife opened a bottle of hotel lotion and it was mostly used, obviously and old bottle than wasn't replaced.

I travel a great deal and Marriott hotels is my "go to" choice. Courtyards and Marriott hotels are at a much higher level of service and quality than Spring Hill Suites. I expected a higher level of service here at $200 per night - booked weeks in advance.

Building a hotel in this location was a very bad decision. A better choice if in this area would be the Hyatt Place across the street and not on train tracks.

Room Tip: Only accept a front facing room, rooms on the back of hotel are feet away front a busy train track.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank hannamac
Melissa_Craven_FOM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at the SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works. I am sorry to hear that the noise from the train disturbed your stay, though I am pleased that we were able to relocate your room for you. Should you choose to stay with us in the future, please call the hotel in advance and let us know that you would prefer a room facing the river, and we will do our best to accommodate that. Concerning the housekeeping issue, that is not something we take lightly, and I can assure you it will be addressed. We pride ourselves in being one of the cleanest hotels in the city. Our housekeepers go above and beyond to keep our hotel looking as it did the day we opened. The issue with the lotion bottle is not a recurring trend at this property, and I thank you for bringing it to our attention. Again, thank you for your comments. Please let us know if there is anything we can assist you with in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The room was big and clean, Staff was nice and professional, very quick and easy check in. The breakfast was okay. I've had better and have had worse. The shuttle was excellent to go back and forth from Station Square. They were also taking people to the ball game. We will stay there again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the river, very quiet. The other side is the train tracks and noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel after spending an exhausting but fun day in Pittsburgh and was looking forward to a good night's sleep. Sleep proved to be impossible that night due to a train that ran right next to the hotel. All night long trains ran and some included the whistle blowing. I cannot recomend this hotel due to this problem. The person at the desk told me the next morning that there are "good rooms and bad rooms' for the noise problem. So why aren't the bad rooms soundproofed to ensure sleep? I paid $226 for no sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Melissa_Craven_FOM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Becky,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works. I am sorry to hear that the noise from the train disturbed you during your stay. Unfortunately, we have done as much as we can in regards to soundproofing our building, therefor, anytime a guest indicates that they would prefer a room facing the side of the building opposite of the train, we do our best to accommodate that request. Should you choose to stay with us again, please let us know that you would prefer a room facing the river and we will do our best to provide that. Thank you very much for your feedback, as you are a valued guest.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This hotel was very nice and clean. The rooms are really large, with a comfortable bed and large couch with small tables which can easily be moved around. The desk was a good size and the area with a microwave, sink and fridge was very nice and had it's own space which I really liked. I never located a safe in the room, which could be an issue for some people. There are some good options in the area that you can easily walk to and the walk by the river is very nice. I wasn't aware of the free breakfast (the staff never told me) but heard about it and was able to check it out on my last day. They had fresh fruit (pineapple and strawberries) which was an pleasant change to the typical mixed can fruit. I strongly suggest requesting a room on the front side of the hotel, the train came thru several times during the night and it was very loud (I was on the sixth floor in the back).

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper request to be away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank PlaidLu
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Rooms were spacious and clean. Staff was extremely courteous, and the shuttle was prompt. Railroad tracks were loud at times, but bearable and did not interrupt sleep. Close to Southside attractions, both the bars and shopping.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Visited Pittsburg for a weekend and decided to stay here because it was close to downtown and offered free breakfast. So glad we did. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a king suite. It was very large and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The free breakfast had many options to choose from. Coffee, juice, cereal, meat, eggs, waffles, pastries and breads. Very safe area... walking distance to just about everything. Will definitely return!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was clean and the staff was very nice and helpful. Walking distance from the Southside bar scene and right next to a nice shopping center. I stayed here with two of my best friends on a short trip to see the Orioles play against the Pirates. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014