“Avoid if you are looking for a good night sleep” 1 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works
Ranked #60 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Avoid if you are looking for a good night sleep”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for a single night since the Wyndham has screwed up our reservation and had to find a place to put myself and a couple of coworkers up for one night.

The hotel is a 10 minute drive away from downtown, and pretty much isolated from anything else. There is a street full of bars and restaurants about 3 blocks away, but not too active on early weekdays, so location is sub-optimal.

What is the dealbreaker is the insane level of noise coming from trains passing by the back of the hotel. It is not just the rolling thru noise, but the horn blasts from every single one of them simply will not let you sleep.

The place is brand spanking new and rooms are very well appointed, roomy and clean. Unfortunately, this does not help the noise issue. Avoid!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We often stay at Marriott hotels but we will not stay at this particular one again. The facilities are clean and modern and staff is great, however we need to sleep and the trains outside the hotel run all night and are extremely noisy. This is a new facility and planning should have included the noise factor. The location is convenient but if you plan to sleep at the hotel plan on being awakened several times during the night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

There are some great things and some ok points to make about this hotel. I will get the bad out of the way first. I was delayed upon arrival due to weather in Chicago. I telephoned the property to confirm my reservation and the gentleman working the night shift was very abrupt on the phone and just said no worries when I told him I was delayed...I asked do you need my confirmation number or name? Answer: No....I went ahead and provided my last name. I arrived at the hotel at 4am and approached the desk where there was no be there. Finally, he emerged from the couch as he was just watching the TV...he took his time getting to the desk, then said "you need something?" I said yes checking in...providing my last name. No greeting, no welcome, and kind of like I was interrupting his TV watching ... He placed me in the corner of the third floor which the room was great and was a physically challenged room. I had been up for over 24 hrs and had to get up at 8am and it was almost 5pm when I feel asleep. What I did not know was that at 5:20am there a train that runs right next door to the hotel. When TD train blew its whistle, I thought I was going to peel myself off the ceiling. Customers should be told that trains run all night and that if they need a quieter room request one on the front of the building not the rear.

The good was that the room was very clean, well maintained, the day staff at the desk and late afternoon was very friendly. The Van driver Mike was great, he was very polite, and personable . He took me to the convention center both days. The express checkout was great too. I like the hotel but due to the train on the back of the building....I am not sure I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the building not the rear due to trains.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank phxaztraveler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a great new hotel in the heart of all new South Side Works development. Slightly higher priced, not much value here but the convenient access to restaurants, bars and retail. I will stay again due to the quality and access this provided to the entertainment.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank dpeezy
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I chose this hotel for my friends bachelorette party. We had several out of town guests. How is it possible at 6 pm to only have 1 of my 2 rooms available? I booked 1 month ahead with a request of adjoining rooms and barely had them on the same floor! Will not stay ever again. Thank goodness they are building a Hyatt close by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a great stay at this SpringHill Suites last weekend, while visiting our daughter at the University of Pittsburgh. I had read the reviews of the loud trains after I had booked, but our room was fortunately located on the river side of the building and on the top floor - so train noise was not an issue. This hotel is located close to restaurants and shopping on the SouthSide, and close to Carson Street and it's multiple bars and drinking establishments that the college crowd likes to visit on the weekends. We did take part in a pub crawl - check out the Lava Lounge for 80's and Motown nights - really fun! Everyone was friendly and accomodating at the hotel and the breakfast bar was nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Swen_12
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Seriously?! How are you suppose to sleep? I'll never stay here again. Nice hotel, but I can't believe they'll get any return visitors given all the train noise. I can't believe Marriott would allow such a location. Isn't the idea to "sleep" at night?

Room Tip: On the other side from the train tracks. That might not even help.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business