“Excellent location and very clean”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works
Ranked #63 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent location and very clean”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed 2 nights and it was a very nice experience. New, clean, and in a great location! I did hear the train 2 times each night, but I was able to fall right back to sleep. The beds are extremely comfortable. The staff was very helpful, and we used the free shuttle service. Breakfast was plentiful. I forgot to roll up one of my car windows in their parking lot, but nothing was stolen overnight. (safe area) I did think the overall price of our stay was a little too steep, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank marycarol4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I were in town for two days and we decided to stay the night here. We had an excellent corner room that was very clean. We were pleased with the updated look and new feel of this hotel. An excellent choice for a quick night!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank c0sm0p0litantraveler
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This newer, all-suites hotel is excellent! It's modern style is very much in tune with the neighborhood. Free breakfast was well-stocked and good. Parking seemed a bit expensive, but was right next door, secured by a key card gate, and well lit. The staff was friendly and helpful. They offer a free shuttle within the metro area...very convenient! The view of the river and Pittsburgh Steelers practice facility is a plus.

Room Tip: Note: there is a railroad on one side of the property but it is in a tunnel, so noise is minimal. Fo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank udhoopsfan
Arlington, VA
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed here one night with my wife and 2 y.o. on a Friday night over Memorial Day weekend. It's in a good location, a few blocks from several restaurants. We were able to check in early. The front desk staff (Heather?) was extremely helpful. She let my son pick out a pool toy from the basket of goodies that they kept behind the desk. Our room was nice and clean (It was on the other side of the train tracks so I can't attest to whether noise would have been an issue. It wasn't for us). They had a good sized pool and breakfast was fine the next morning.
So why only 3 stars. One of the most important aspects of a good hotel is getting a good night's sleep and unfortunately, similar to a couple other posts, this seems to be the pre- and post-part hotel. We were next to a bunch of 20-something guys and around 2:30 am, they came back from the bars and were extremely noisy in their room and hallway. Kept me up for about an hour before they finally called it a night.
I thought $14/day for parking was a bit much as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel overlooking the river.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The rooms are extra large with couch and desk, but they do not have a door separating the living area from the bed area. Not good for two unrelated people traveling together or for a family with children when the parents want some privacy. The train did bother me a little bit - sounds like a low rumble. The location is not good for someone unfamiliar with the area and doing things on the north side of the river (think CMU and Pitt) because getting across the Birmingham bridge can be tricky. If you miss the turn you end up going way out of your way trying to get back. Also, they charge $14 for parking. The breakfast was average. On the positive side it is new and clean, the beds were comfortable and the rooms are large.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in September for a weekend to see the Foo Fighters. The Hotel is very modern, and clean, but... I got two rooms with a government discount, and they charged me the full amount without letting me know, They also charge per night for parking. This hotel is very nice minus their surprise charges, and their rude staff members,

Room Tip: Get a Room facing the River!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Main points:
- Quiet during the week, but loud on the weekends
- Breakfast is unappetizing
- Wireless connection is poor

The details:
I have stayed at this hotel twice - once for a few days during the week, and this last trip on a Tuesday - Sunday for a business trip. Tuesday through Thursday nights were quiet, despite being next to the elevator and encountering a drunken group of men who thought it would be fun to start a conversation with me on Thursday night as I was walking to get dinner. Not cool but to be fair, it's the area, not the hotel's fault.

By Friday I was completely exhausted from work and just wanted a good night's sleep. The rest of the people on my floor, however, wanted to party in their rooms before going out. Thankfully, it quieted down around when they left. Of course I was woken up again around 2 or 3 when they came back.

I thought the Springhill Suites was supposed to be a business-friendly hotel. If I had known that they cater to bachelorette parties, etc. I would not have stayed here. I asked the front desk if I could switch to a different room or floor and was told "We have large groups on all our floors." Then I was told that the hotel was full.

There were other minor things; the breakfast buffet is extremely unappetizing, with congealed eggs and weak coffee. The room had a weird layout - furniture crammed into the front, but a large empty space next to the bed. I tried to work in the hotel one morning but the wireless connection is so poor that I ended up going to a coffee shop. The young man who was working at the front desk when I arrived was extremely unhelpful and impolite.

In summary: business travelers who have to stay over a Friday night - beware.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business