“Hotel was good but staff was surprisingly unfriendly”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore
Ranked #31 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Since I was downtown it was noce to have the free parking at the hotel. The breakfast, social hour, and hotel room was up to the standards of a Residence Inn. I stay at a lot of Residence Inns and most Marriott properties, but surprisingly I found the front desk staff was not friendly. By no means were they rude but I was surprised I did not get a friendly greeting or smile, plus she did not mention what time breakfast and the evening social took place, which is a standard check in practice I get from all Residence Inns. She also checked me out when I asked for my receipt and again no smile or "how was your stay" - guess it wasn't a fluke at check in.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Northeast_Traveler48
ri_pitrn_fd, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2015

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Shore! We were happy to have you here with us. I would like to apologize for falling short in making feel welcomed at our property. I assure you that was never our intent. We are going to use your feedback as a training tool for future guest interactions. Thank you again and we hope you will give the Residence Inn another try.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was the most expensive per night accommodation I stayed in on my USA trip because I found it hard to find anything cheaper that was still decent and in a good location in Pittsburgh. But it lived up to the price! I didn't realise when I booked it that I had a kitchen and lounge room area in my room which was awesome because I was actually sick at this point and spent more time in the room than I normally would have. It was larger than I thought! Beautiful big bed. I liked how the tv could be turned around to either face the bed or the couches. Nice big full length mirrors on the wardrobe's sliding doors. Very clean. Great location especially if you are going to a game at PNC Park and is only a couple of blocks away from the Andy Warhol Museum. I used the free shuttle to be dropped at one of the inclines which was very handy. Staff were always friendly and helpful. The breakfast is pretty decent, lots of choices. Overall I very much enjoyed this hotel but being a backpacker it was definitely a splurge - not budget accommodation!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank vargasgirl1984

Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I am happy that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle within a select 3 mile radius of the hotel to enjoy all the amenties that Pittsburgh has to offer. I am happy that our staff was able to deliver outstanding service and hope you will come back for a future visit.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had an advanced booking for two nights but arrived a day early to avoid traveling in a snowstorm. Staff were gracious and welcoming (Dylan, I believe?) and gave us the same reduced rate we had paid for the original stay. Room was nicely appointed and very clean. Quiet and calm environment. Very handy to have a fully equipped kitchen, especially when staying with two large dogs. There is very little green space around the hotel, so that was a bit challenging when trying to make a quick trip outside with dogs. However, there is a nice river walk area about two blocks away, and a fantastic free dog park at Riverview park, which is about a ten minute drive. Staff were responsive and friendly, and free breakfast was the best hotel continental breakfast we've had. Would definitely stay here again if we are in Pittsburgh. Thank you, Residence Inn, for making our visit so enjoyable!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Residence Inn North Shore. We understand travelling into snow can be a mess at times, so we are happy that we are able to accomodate your needs. I am happy that our front desk staff and other hotel associates were able to make your stay more enjoyable. We hope to see you again in for a future stay.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The location of the hotel is great. We stayed the night over New Years' Eve. The room was a suite and had plenty of room. It was clean and a large, comfortable bed. We had reservations for dinner at a local restaurant and naturally we wanted to take showers. The bathroom was clean and everything looked new, however the shower did not work. No hot water nor warm water was available! No matter how we tried we couldn't get it to function. I ended up taking a cold shower. The safe in the room was not functioning either. I reported both of these issues to the management. I agree with some of the other reviewers, the parking was too darn expensive. One of the manager's decided not to charge us the $20 parking fee to compensate for the lack of water/shower issue.
The hotel was clean and we did use the pool which was also nice. I really could not understand how the cleaning staff failed to notice a non-functioning shower or hot water in the bathroom!

Room Tip: the suite was very large and comfortable
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank msergi
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel several times. The people are always friendly and the breakfast is plentyful. Like that coffee, tea and chocolate milk is available around the clock. Lobby and rooms ae always very clean. Hotel is also accessible t othr sites like Primanti Bros via the free shuttle service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Typical Residence Inn. Convenient parking right outside. Very nice lobby area. Excellent breakfast -- in winter I enjoyed strawberries, raspberries and blueberries among other things. Hotel also had a nice complimentary 'happy hour' with a number of snacks in the early evening. Most appreciated was the complimentary shuttle van that took me downtown -- when I was ready to come back all I had to do was call. Very good rate also. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel had some stories so might go for one on one of the lower levels, but I'm sure all are...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mskrisanda
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We have stayed here many times. Rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. Good breakfast. Very friendly staff. Business-like atmosphere. Manager receptions on some nights. Parking fee is excessive, but considering the location it has to be expected.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet. Even the rooms on the side of PNC during ball games are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
JamesPerryRINS, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for your time and feedback. We appreciate the many times you've stayed and hope to see you many more times in the future. Have a great holiday season!!