“Convenient location!”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

My family decided to book a room here for a quick weekend trip/Pirates game. You cannot beat the location...walk out the door, across the street, and into PNC Park! It also within walking distance of Heinz Field, Carnegie Science Center, Rivers Casino, and a plethora of restaurants and bars.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The sofa bed was a decent size and fit my 2 children, but I would only recommend for one adult. The kids didn't complain, but the mattress on the sofa bed was very thin.

Breakfast was good. The rooms were clean, although I did not get extra towels as requested. Also, the in-room coffee was not replenished on our 2nd day. A quick stop at the desk and housekeeping brought us more.

We will stay here again...in fact, I have booked a room for later this week since my husband and I will be going to Stage AE.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Collteach
JamesPerryRINS, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thanks for reviewing us! I'm sorry that housekeeping missed your coffee, but glad that the desk staff was able to resolve it quickly enough. I'm happy to see your intent to return and would like to express our appreciation for your choice. Thank you for staying with us!! Best wishes and we hope to see you again whenever you're visiting the area!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Here on a family trip. Had a wonderful view of the ballpark. Great shuttle service to many local attractions. Shuttle drivers were very friendly and helpful regarding recommendations. Quiet night's sleep. Very spacious room and very nice modern decor. Easy parking.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank eleniAnnArbor
Reviewed July 8, 2013

the residence inn north shore is so close to pnc park that you can see into the stadium from most rooms. it is also incredibly convenient if you're just visiting the city, as the north shore is within walking distance to most of the tourist attractions and good restaurants, yet is quieter than downtown. this is helpful if, like me, you are traveling with your pet. even with the excitement and crowds from the pirates games and fireworks display, it was so much easier walking my dogs in this area than i imagine downtown would be. that said, there are not many grassy areas in the immediate vicinity and the hotel has signs on some of the manicured areas that pets are not welcome. i have city dogs, so they were used to concrete and the small placita in front of the hotel (pnc side), but other dogs may not take to it as quickly so you'll have to cross over a fairly busy street (at least post-sporting events) to get a more grassy area.

the residence is your typical, upper-end extended stay hotel: the rooms are modern, clean and very large, each with a separate sitting area and 2 tvs. the sink area is separate from the bathroom, which makes getting ready more convenient and efficient when traveling with others. they have paul mitchell toiletries, which was nice. there is also a good sized kitchenette with a large fridge, dishwasher, microwave and coffee maker (including dishes, cups, bowls, serving ware, etc.), which helps cut down food costs. the beds were super comfortable, which is essential if you are spending a significant amount of time at the hotel on business, etc.

parking is right next to the hotel in a lot for hotel guests and $19 a night. there were quite a few groups (calmly) tailgating in the lot - it wasn't clear if they were hotel guests or other people who liked the convenient spot.

staff were very pleasant, although not memorable.

all that said, i thought the going rate is rather expensive, especially for pittsburgh. we happened to get the government rate, which made it much more affordable, but if that was not an option, this place is typically outside of what i like to spend for my hotel budget. also, there is a $100 pet fee (per stay/room, not animal). this is on the high side, given some hotel chains like kimpton do not charge anything or others, like loews, charge a nominal fee but it actually comes with some perks for the animal. breakfast was not out at 6:15am on the day we left, so i cannot comment on that.

overall, i would return to the residence inn due to the convenience and amenities... should i find a favorable rate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amyh12382
JamesPerryRINS, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that our staff wasn't memorable enough. We pride ourselves on the return guests and regulars that we have simply because of some of the bonds created during their stays. Thank you for clarifying some areas to future guests and TripAdvisor users. We are VERY pet friendly although we do charge $100 per stay for pets to cover an in-depth "deep clean" after a room checks out. This helps us prevent many issues with odors/allergens. Sorry if the courtyard area outside wasn't a favorite for your pet. We do often have guests walk a block down to the River Walk which it seems you did.

As for the tailgating, we do limit parking to registered guests only, but many tailgaters will wander around the north shore and band together. We love seeing guests enjoy themselves when here for one of the games or special events.

One last quick note to clear things up for readers and future guests-- the view into PNC Park is definitely a sight to see, although its only the Home Plate Entrance and Main Concourse. We are not lucky enough to have any field-view rooms :(

We always appreciate when guests make note of our long term stay capabilities, so thank you! We look forward to your next stay!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location to PNC ballpark & Heinz filed. We were in town for the Taylor Swift concert. Parking at the hotel ($19 a day) made life easy. The hotel offers free shuttle (3 miles) go getting around the area is no problem. PNC is literally across the street & Heinz field, about a 5 minute walk down the main road.
Hotel staff was great. No problems checking -in or out.
Note... indoor pool is VERY TINY... (25x10) maybe...

Room Tip: if you will be visiting during baseball season, beware of fireworks from PNC... enjoy the free show...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ninny526

I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and took the time to review us!! Taylor Swift's concert was a huge weekend for us and I'm happy that you didn't experience any problems. Just to note, our indoor pool is on the smaller side but is an "endless pool". For swimmers, there is a jet that starts a current and creates a stationary lap pool (swimming in place).

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The cowboy and I had yet another adventure in our quest to visit every MLB ballpark. This spot was park #8 on our journey and were we ever thrilled to learn upon driving in that the hotel was literally across the curb from the ballpark! Cool! Lesson learned here for me -- as much as I usually pay close attention to our needs for our getaway weekends, I didn't realize the amenities for this hotel. It's an actual apartment in a sense and we could have brought all of our own food and beverages, etc. It's fully equipped to live in for a long, long while. This was a great choice and a great deal...if only I would have done my homework to take full advantage of all it offers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for reviewing and making note of our long term stay capabilities! Good luck on your ballpark tour! We hope you'll stay with us again when you visit PNC Park!!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent one night here on Marriott Rewards points. It's a very nice property--new, clean, so convenient since we went to the Pirates game at PNC Park, to the Warhol Museum, and to the riverfront for fireworks viewing. Our 1BR suite was very nice and roomy, and even though the hotel is next to a highway, I was amazed how quiet it was--very little, if any, noise through the windows (and noise is one of my biggest pet peeves/criteria for hotel selection)

The exercise room was small but well equipped-- one nice touch was a basket of disposable ear plugs for those who wanted to listen to TV while running, pedaling or on the elliptical. Breakfast was fine, although my one quibble was that it ended at 9:30, which meant I needed to exercise and shower quickly to get down to eat. The hotel was quite full, and the breakfast area staff had some trouble keeping up refreshing coffee, food, etc., but no big issue.

The front desk staff were very friendly and the Cracker Jacks that were out on the counter were a welcome treat when we walked back after the game.

I would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay here again. Pricewise, the rate I would have paid had I not used points was on the high side--perhaps it was due to the holiday or the hotel being solidly booked.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking your time to review us! I'm sorry that breakfast was not running as smoothly as it could have during your stay. We have hired a few newer employees and they, like the rest of the team, are continuously training and trying to get better! I'm glad to see you were able to cash in on the rewards you earned. The holiday and events nearby did have a major affect on our selling rate so I'm glad the free night benefited you. Thank you for being a rewards member and thank you again for reviewing us!!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My fiancé and I have stayed at nearly every hotel in or around Pittsburgh city and I must say that the Residence Inn North Shore is probably one of the best we stayed at when it comes to certain things. The areas they lack are to be expected, because we see the same flaws at every Pittsburgh Hotel. We are both yinzers, born and raised, so when I say good for a Pittsburgh hotel I'm not putting PGH down. I simply mean that I don't expect the same service as I would at the top hotels in New York or even Seattle. But enough chit chat, lets get to the review shall we?

My fiancé and I stayed at the Residence North Shore on July 4th, 2013. We picked the Residence solely on the fact that I noticed they got great reviews from others on Trip advisor and the hotels we were looking at did not. As far as the price, I don't believe its worth the money. The only reason I say that is because I been to some AMAZING hotels for almost the same amount of money. I just don't understand what warrants spending $300.00 a night except for the fact that its located directly across from PNC Park?

When we first arrived to check in, the staff was friendly ENOUGH and it was quick. Nothing special, just glad to have you and here are your keys. We were dying to get to the Regatta, so it worked out for us. One thing I have to say turned me off immediately is it was literally 100 degrees outside that day and we were dying of thirst when we arrived. The first thing out of my mouth to my fiancé when we walked in was, "Do you want some water?" Of course she said yes, so I grabbed a bottle out of the cooler. As I walk back up to the counter, I notice that the guy checking us in had 2 bottles of water on the counter in front of him and also and entire case on the floor in back of him. I thought to myself, maybe they give complimentary water to guest when they arrive? After he hands us the key, instead of assuming its free and rudely walking away with the water, I politely say, "How much do we owe you for the water? Thinking he is going to reply, "Please its our pleasure." Instead he told me it would be $2.00. Haha.... I thought it was the funniest thing in the world. To me the little things count. I wasn't expecting hot moist towels and champagne upon arrival, but a complimentary bottle of water after looking like Clint Eastwood in the bad the good and the ugly desert scene would have been nice.

We decided to go up to the room real quick, just to see what it looked like. I have to say, its probably the nicest basic Pittsburgh City room Ive seen. It had a really nice floor layout, a full kitchen with plates, silver ware, cook ware, a real stove, and it was all super clean. The counter tops were granite and the decor reminded me of NYC hotels. The living area was neat and it had a french couch that really made the room look classy. The bathroom was nothing to wright home about, but it wasn't bad at all. The only thing I didn't like is that they didn't have any glasses near the sink to rinse with. Thats hotel bathroom 101. Im not sure if they have any Jacuzzi rooms, but I think that would put the cherry on top if they did. Although I really don't see these rooms for couple getaways, I see them more for business man who are in town for a couple days.

The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were almost right there with the mattress. They were those types of pillows that were so soft, but they feel like they just don't have enough feathers in them or something and plus they were so small. I thought the flat screen was really cool, because you could rotate it 360 degrees. If you were in the living room you would twist it and vice versa if you were laying in bed. Never seen that before, so kudos to that.

The room itself was extremely quiet. It was the one thing that really shocked me. The only time I been in rooms that quiet are when I stayed at places like Trump Soho and Hotel 1000. Those are $600-$700 a night rooms, so it was nice to see that. I slept right near the window too and I still couldn't hear anything coming from outside or the rooms next to us. Maybe it was because we were at the end of the hallways, but either way it was nice not hearing a peep.

Another cool thing is if you plan of staying for more then a few nights, they have a menu/list in the room where you can tell them what you want the fridge stocked with and they will fill it for you. I don't know if it cost anything, but I thought that was pretty cool. Parking of course is $20 a night and room service from the Soho is only open till 11:00pm, not 24 hrs like it says on the website, but they do have a few local delivery places that run till 2:00am. I wish I could remember the name of the place we ordered from, because it was actually pretty decent. It started with a G. If you get late night cravings, just ask the front desk for the menu, but don't expect them to know anything about the food or what time they deliver till. We asked the man working late night and he had no idea if they delivered, what time or if they where any good. I thought that was a little strange. You have the menus, but you don't know if they still deliver?

I want to end by going back to what I said in the beginning. The one thing this hotel doesn't have that I still don't see at other PGH City hotels is awesome service. They need to learn this. Every time I called the front desk I was legitimately uncomfortable like I was bothering the staff. When you go somewhere like Le Blanc, you feel like calling the front desk for fun. I called the front desk to ask for an Ice Bucket because they did not have one in the room and the guy gave me a hard time? Haha... When a guest asks for an ice bucket the only response is, "My pleasure sir! Right away!" Not at PGH hotels and its a shame. The way I feel about the Residence North Shore is almost like having a beautiful girlfriend, but she has no manners and her attitude is horrible. Sure she's pretty to look at, but thats about all. How long until you say that face is getting old?

I think thats pretty much it....

PROS: Decor, cleanliness, quietness and comfort.
CONS: The service and the little things.

Overall: I hate spending $300.00 on something not worth the money, but if I have to spend $300.00 again, I would choose the Residence over the other choices. Location is unbeatable and all the other hotels are just as expensive and not as good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the detailed review and for taking our other good TripAdvisor reviews into account while researching us. We appreciate the feedback and I will share it with all of the staff. I did want to respond to a few of the areas you mentioned in detail.

Our hotel, like most, has a flucuating rate base. For the date of your stay there were several special events nearby from the Pirates games, the holiday and fireworks, the Regatta, and a convention just across the bridge downtown. We were sold out far in advance and some one even offered me their first born child for a room. Thankfully we did not have the rooms available to sell because I do not have the extra space at home.

I saw that our staff's attitude seemed to have been an issue. I'm disappointed to hear that because we are constantly commended for providing great service. I'm sorry that we did not show that quality the way that you expect and that I know we can. I will speak directly to the employee mentioned because I know for a fact that everyone on our guest services team can make a solid and knowledgable recommendation when it comes to dining options or what to do in the area. Even if we can't, you and I both expect the service agent to take the initiative to research and provide the best service possible. I'm sorry that wasn't done.

As for the hotel amenities- we do not have jacuzzi rooms or one in our pool area unfortunately. That's simply one amenity that we are not able to provide. The room service for SoHo is available after 4pm (earlier if restaurant volume allows), and I am curious to know where it was advertised to be 24-Hours so that I can fix that. Glasses in the bathroom area is something very feasible and I will mention something to the appropriate management. You're not the first guest to mention that. I'm also sorry that complimentary water is not normally provided. As a select-service property there are areas that we don't normally provide the same exact "perks" as a full-service property. Many items are available for purchase in our Market area and water obviously is one of them.

I thank you again for the detailed review and I hope that you'll return in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me personally for help with your reservations. I assure you we will continue to strive to provide memorable service for our guests!!