“Excellent Hotel and Great Staff”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore
Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Dayton, Ohio
“Excellent Hotel and Great Staff”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Traveled to Pittsburgh for a couple days and found this hotel on the Marriott website. I traveled with my family (including 2 small kids). Overall, the hotel is excellent. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. The rooms were in excellent shape. I travel relatively frequently for work and this is definitely one of the top 2 Residence Inn's I have stayed at

Yes, parking in $18 but it is well worth it. The hotel has a free shuttle which runs every half hour and you can call get picked up. We took the shuttle to the Science Center and had no problems with going this route. The hotel location is nice - The Science Center is within relatively easy walking distance for a healthy adult.

The morning breakfast was a typical Residence Inn experience.

When I visit Pittsburgh in the future, this hotel will be my first choice.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Toronto
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We initially had plans to fly down to New York city but our flight got cancelled the morning we were to fly out. Disappointed but not wanting to waste our Easter weekend, we decided to drive out to Pennsylvania. We picked out the Residence Inn in Pittsburgh since it was rated #1 on Tripadvisor and we soon found out why. The staff was nice and helpful, the room was big and comfortable. Since it was a last minute trip, the front desk suggested activities for us to do and restaurants to try out. The room was huge, with a full kitchen (including a dishwasher!) and a sofa. I'm sure if we stayed more than two nights, all the amenities would have come in handy.

The day after we checked-in, we told housekeeping that we didn't need anything when they came to our door. However, when we got back to our room later that day, they still left us a voicemail to ensure that we still didn't need housekeeping before they left for the day. It was a nice surprise we definitely did not expect and spoke to the great service we were given while we stayed at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sammy_Hayhay
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 15, 2011

For this type of hotel, this is the best experience I have ever had. We were upgraded at check-in, and it was immediately obvious that this hotel is well managed. Every staff member was so polite!!! I commented to the hotel staff at the front desk how impressed I was.
The room was spectacular - much more than I could have hoped for. I had a great view of PNC Park. I will definitely be back for a baseball game this spring/summer!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank clmbs_traveller
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed at this Residence Inn for 3 nights over Christmas. We had our dog with us and the staff could not have been more accommodating. Everyone was "oohing and aaahiing" over our Bearded Collie at check-in. It made us feel very special.

We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite at check-in. The wonderful staff took pity on me when I explained we were hosting Christmas dinner and needed some room. The 2 bedroom suites do have regular ovens with four burners (in addition to the microwave). I believe the other rooms do not have conventional ovens.

Our room was spectacular - more than I could have hoped for. We had a wonderful view of PNC Park. Everything was spotless. The room was enormous with a queen bed in one room and a king bed in the other room. The 2 bathrooms came in handy since we had visitors almost the entire trip (I'm from Pittsburgh originally). The kitchen was beautiful with all the utencils, plates, glasses, even Tupperware, that we needed. My dad was very impressed that all of this came with the room.

There was a ton of storage space in the room - numerous chests of drawers. Something I have not seen in other Residence Inns - laundry baskets were provided in each of the closets.

It was a short walk to the Allegheny River, where there was lots of green space where we could walk our dog. We loved walking over to Heinz Field to watch people skate at the temporary outdoor rink. Heinz Field is only 3 blocks away.

On Christmas Eve, we ate at the Hyde Park Steakhouse, an easy two block walk from the hotel. The hotel staff helped me find a restaurant that was open Christmas eve for dinner - no easy feat. The hotel provided a coupon for an appetizer. There were five of us, and the restaurant prepared an appetizer for five - shrimp, scallops, and crabcakes - fabulous!

Christmas morning was very festive. The families staying at the RI had put their presents under the numerous Christmas trees in the breakfast area. It was lovely. The breakfast buffet (included) was very good with several hot items, and pretty much every cold item you can think of. It was all fresh and tasty.

After Christmas dinner with family in our suite, we headed downstairs to play pool in the billiards and theater room. There is an enormous TV screen with theater seating which my sister-in-law watched while the rest of us played pool. My family loved this.

The fitness room is in excellent shape - there are 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, 4 treadmills and free weights, along with various balls, mats, etc. There were always plenty of towels, cups, sanitizer, and water.

I used the lap pool one day. I had never used one before, so it took a little getting used to swimming against the jet stream. But it was a nice workout.

There are plenty of other restaurants within walking distance and the shuttle is a great perk (which we did not use). In addition, if you walk across the 6th Street Bridge (a very easy walk), there are many more restaurants to choose from.

The parking is $18/night. What can you do? Life in the big city.

I do travel to Pittsburgh for business, and plan to make the RI my new home on all future family and business travel. We will definitely be back for a baseball game this summer!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nittany&Fargo
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We had tickets for the last two Steelers Regular Season Home games of 2010, so we decided to stay in Pittsburgh for a week so we wanted a hotel with a kitchen for meals so we weren't eating out every night and spending big money in addition to our other expenses for the week. On our first day there, we made a grocery shopping trip to the Strip District to load up with fresh foods and ate them for lunch most every day and took advantage of daily breakfast and the nightly manager's reception. The only negative is the nightly rate, which is fairly typical for Pittsburgh during Steelers games. I'm thankful that we were able to get a lower alternative rate for Monday-Thursday because I'm not sure it's worth $300+ a night, but I could not have been more impressed otherwise.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rmwedge
California
Reviewed December 1, 2010

In town for a Steelers game. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel! The staff was very friendly, perfect location for a football and baseball game. I loved my view of home plate. Walking distance to bars and restaurants. Hotel staff gave us a coupon for a free appetizer at the steak house across the street. Convenient parking! Complimentary shuttle around town.
The room was very comfy. Slept like a baby both nights. Ipod/Iphone alarm clock charger.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank desertchick27
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Its perfectly helps to maintain the life's pace for long trips. It allows to stay renewed while travelling , especially on long trips.
It makes me feel to stretch our boundaries , like the spaciousness of my suite , including a full-sized kitchen.
You stay strong , with their complimentary breakfast and social dinners.
The fitness center and local recreations options make me feel absolutely delighted.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business