“Great tour for a group of friends! ”

Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 19 Food & Drink in Pittsburgh
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of going on a food tour in the Brookline neighborhood of pittsburgh this morning. I went with a group of my girl friends and we had a fabulous time. Our tour guide Corrine was friendly, funny, and knew loads about the neighborhood and each business we visited- I left feeling much more connected to this neighborhood and it's business district. The tour was well organized and she made sure to incorporate bathroom stops and even gave us a bottle of water and a tote bag for any extra goodies we got along the way. And the food... So delicious! From the delicious pastries at two bakeries, pita and Lebanese delicacies at pita land, savory tacos at las palmas, rich coffee from cannon coffee, and creamy, tangy pizza at Anthony's, I ate well! And each business owner was so gracious and shared stories about their background and the community. All in all a lovely two hours- I can't wait to take another tour with friends and family. This would be a great introduction to the city for out of towners but also helps long time Pittsburghers like myself learn more about our city of neighborhoods and the great eating we have here in our own backyard!

1  Thank Ellen B

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Did both of these tours so far. Planning on doing them all. Both included food & drinks (The Strip was more drinks than food & Bloomfield had more food than drinks) too too much and all free with your tour fee. I did make some purchases at some locations we stopped. Go hungry and thirsty and you will still be stuffed when you leave. It was really fun--I would do it with a group or even by yourself--the guides were both great. I also would do the same tours again they were so fun. Not a lot of walking if that is an issue. The Strip had the trolly for those who didn't want to walk. Loved both!

3  Thank Deb60Lexi
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I've lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years and work in the Strip, but was excited to take the Burgh Bits & Bites Strip Tour because I'm such a big fan of food and history. It was amazing how much I learned. The guide pointed out hidden sites, introduced us to the owners of shops, and give us tastes of things that I had never tried on my own (but have been back to buy since then). I'm sure it would be great as a non-Pittsburgher, but I can guarantee that even regular Strip shoppers will find something new on this tour.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

What a delight, thanks Sylvia and all the vendors for a fantastic trip through The Strip!
I grew up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh but moved away over 14 years ago - I remember visiting the area as a kid and as a teenager but this tour opened my eyes to places and history that I never knew about. I was delighted to be able to bring my partner along and showcase all the fantastic food and stories of this neighborhood.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

To celebrate our next door neighbor's 50th anniversary, we treated them to a day in Pittsburgh, starting off with the Strip District Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tour. From the get-go it was a disappointment. First, Beth Taylor wasn't aware of how many were touring with her, and was short on water bottles and gift totes. This continued to be a problem because each place we toured was short 2 "tastes". Don't know if it was her mistake or the companies, but when our guests didn't want to take the limited samples, I urged them to, saying we had paid a lot for them to enjoy. In review the choice of "tastes" were poor. Pittsburgh is known for Primanti Brothers sandwiches, and Beth even pointed out the store. So, why didn't we go and at least have a small taste? She also raved about Mon Ami chocolates, but told us to go in by ourselves later. Instead, we literally walked into a biscotti shop, chose a flavor and walked out. It was terrible food and it was embarrassing to "get a handout". No reason to visit this store; very little background/discussion of it. Next, we went to an Italian pastry right afterward which was good. But two sweets in a row, not good planning. But, the worst plan was to end the tour at 3:30 after sweets with Polish pierogies! So heavy. The samples on the tour were "cheap" tastes. We would have done better to save the $42/per person and walk up and down the strip on our own, and eat at a nice restaurant. Having done a Taste of Chicago previously where they served Chicago Hot Dogs, speciality pizza, Falafel sandwiches, speciality hot chocolate and ice cream -- all delicious and generous portions (a full dog, 2 pieces of pizza, a whole sandwich, etc.), I was expecting much, much more. We were all still hungry from our meager "samplings". As a retired event manager, I would be embarrassed to be associated with this organization. 'Burgh Bits & Bites even earned several awards - no way! We won't be trying any more of their tours. Don't waste your money.

3  Thank Laurie B
Burghfoodie, Owner at Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback prompted us to speak with our ticketing service, tour guide and the merchants regarding the food portions.

We confirm the guest list and dietary restrictions with all tour guides prior to the tour.
On the evening prior to your tour, we confirmed the guest list with Beth. However, the following morning, two additional tickets were purchased through our ticketing service. Unfortunately, Beth was unaware of this purchase and planned for the number given her the evening before.
This was an oversight on the management side and not a fault of Beth's.
We apologize, as much as we plan ahead, on this day, we did not notify Beth in a timely manner that two additional tickets were purchased.
We are truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused at the start of the tour. Moving forward, we are implementing a ticket notification for last minute add-ons, to ensure this situation doesn't happen again.

The food on your tour was a selection of Italian deli meats, hummus and pita bread, slices of pepperoni roll with marinara sauce, a biscotti, a mele (italian pastry) and pierogies.
Regarding the tastings being short/less by two throughout the tour, Beth, and all food stops assured me that they adjusted the food portion to accommodate all people in your group, despite the two additional guests.
Beth brought an extra water, and then purchased one additional water along the tour route.
The pepperoni bread is cut in 8-9 slices, so thankfully there were 2-3 extra portions for your group that day.
We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the biscotti, the amount of food, and the order in which the food was tasted.
The bakeries close at 4:00pm, prior to the Polish deli, which closes at 4:30pm. To ensure an efficient route and to arrive at all places prior to closing, we visit the bakeries first.

In regards to Primanti's and Mon Aimee. Primanti's was at one time a stop on our tour, but as the tour groups grew, and the frequency of our visits increased, we were no longer guaranteed that we could consistently be accommodated in a timely manner. Primanti's continues to be an integral part of Pittsburgh food history, a tour would be remiss if we didn't recommend and share with guests the history of the business.
We are very fortunate to have a wide variety of diverse food establishments in the Strip District. We would love nothing more than to be able to visit each shop/restaurant in one day. However, we encourage tour guests to further explore the area on their own and will continue to offer recommendations and history of the businesses along the way.

Thank you again for your comments, we value all customer feedback. Customer service continues to be our number one priority.