“Chef Winston should run this place!”

The Mansion at Maple Heights
Ranked #10 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Cleveland OH
“Chef Winston should run this place!”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

If you are looking for a typical stay, go elsewhere. Everything is a bit quirky here. You have to call from the driveway to have them open gate for you. We weren't told where to park so we parked off to the side; later we were told we should park up by fence. John was in charge when we stayed, he is not your typical innkeeper, more like a frat boy. He didn't seem too comfortable with people.

The house is pretty but has an incomplete feel. It seems they are going to concentrate on weddings, so the the rooms downstairs, except for study, have an emptiness that will be a help when you have to set weddings up but for a b&b look pretty odd. We were the only people staying that night so noise wasn't a factor. Our room had a private bath and a walk in closet that is much nicer than mine at home. TV is huge but in a corner so view is blocked by bedpost. Room was chilly at first, but we keep it cold at home, and it warmed up later.

The chef, Winston, was so friendly we think he should be in charge! He took our orders and everything was tasty. Honey had french toast and I had pancakes, hash browns, bacon and juice. There were fruits and pastries too.

Garden is a work in progress. I am unsure how this place would work in a wedding--there is only room for a few cars.

If you are looking for cozy b&b stay, I would go elsewhere. If you don't mind not having a perfectly decorated place, it's worth a shot if you can get a decent rate.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Baltimore
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I stayed in this wonderful newly opened B&B for the weekend while on business, my husband tagged along to explore Pittsburgh while I worked.

I am so happy I stumbled on this place while researching hotels on the internet in Pittsburgh. It's a beautiful home from built in 1903 that was just renovated then reopened as a venue for weddings, etc and also as a B&B. Lovely architecture of the Edwardian era, beautiful woodwork, chandeliers, stained glass. It's on top of a large hill, on a dead quiet street in the Shadyside neighborhood (lots of shopping, restaurants & gorgeous homes in walking distance.) It's also a gated property, you get a clicker to come and go.

I stayed in the 3rd floor king suite. There was a shared bath, but no one else booked the other room across the hall so we had the floor to ourselves. These rooms are all updated and remodeled in the past year. We had a very large walk in closet with an ironing board & iron. I really enjoyed the hi-def flat screen tv and the EXTENSIVE channel selection when I wound down at night. There is a brand new kitchen (with no stove, I think) on the floor.

The young couple who runs the place are fantastic! Since I had to be up and out in the morning to work before their regular breakfast time, she offered to have it ready early for me. I wish I had my own Chef Winston, he's a great guy and excellent maker of breakfasts; he even made sure to have soymilk ready to go for me like I requested. He has a great menu available, but I bet he'd be accommodating with other requests.

A random thing I learned once I got there & read their welcome booklet on the nightstand, the owner is a recently former NFL player for the Steelers; I bet many folks would get a kick out of staying in his big, fancy mansion. He & his partner are such warm and gracious hosts. They had right balance of being around available when you need them (they live in the house as well) and letting you have privacy.

On our way out, the weather was dangerous and icy. The owner & Chef Winston stopped is and warned us not to leave yet (other lovely guests who were there earlier had actually called back to the B&B to have them tell us not to leave since roads were so unsafe). He invited us to stay up in our room for a few more hours. There is no way in heck you can ever get this sort of service at big chains, you'd be stuck in the lobby all afternoon in a case like this.

I am a little confused why a previous reviewer gave this place a low grade. If you are simply looking for very fussy, dusty collection of Victorian afghans and dolls, you're not going to find it here. The space is intentionally left a little more empty for the events. The bedrooms are simply decorated with calming wall colors and a very comfortable bed & free wi-fi. The price is right and I would stay here anytime I needed a place in PIttsburgh.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 16, 2009

The Mansion at Maple Heights is a lovely old residence and it has been nicely renovated/restored. However if you are anticipating a beautifully furnished home with wall hangings and carpets and antiques and chairs etc you will be disappointed. None of the public spaces with the exception of the library are furnished or decorated--it looks like a house prior to someone moving in. The breakfast/dining room area does have a couple tables with chair but nothing else you could call decoration. I imagine they move stuff in when they host a wedding but for a bed and breakfast esp one advertised as upper end it is definitely lacking in ambiance.

The bed room we were in, no 4, shared a bathroom. There were two nice queen beds, and a couple floor lamps, a flat screen tv, a dresser. Again no decorations--wall hangings, mirrors, chairs, etc. Heating/ac was controlled from the hall way for all the rooms on that wing--our room was continually too cold; plus you couldn't even adjust the heating cooling vent as there were no adjustment device on the vent outlet.

The setting was very attractive. Its on a steep hill above a major street. Its a three or four block walk to Shadyside. The first part of the walk would be down the hill along a street with no sidewalk. Once past there the walking is pleasant.

The service was good. They were attentive to our requests and readily available. The breakfast we had was good; there were both cold and hot breakfast choices. There was some street noise from our room but otherwise it was quiet; you wouldn't have known there was a full house when we were there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple