“Pittsburgh secret jewel...esp. for solo travel!”

The Mansion at Maple Heights
Ranked #9 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pittsburgh secret jewel...esp. for solo travel!”
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I made plans to spend an afternoon, evening on Thursday and then a morning and afternoon on Friday in Pittsburgh so I could go out to dinner with a friend before another friend and I drove from Pittsburgh to another city for a few days. My friend suggested I stay at the Mansion at Maple Heights for the night as I like to walk and love college towns and architecture.

She had told me it was a "jewel" and "reasonable" ~ and it was. Run by a group of non corporate type young adults (I am showing my age here), these kids are all about hospitality without the airs put on by the more expensive yet less beautiful hotels.

As soon as I pulled in, Shawn, the inn keeper during the day (who was out doing gardening) literally dropped his hoe and ran to get my bag, welcoming me to the Mansion.
As we walked into the mansion he introduced me to the owner, Chukky, who was working on the lawn with him, the young woman who cleans the rooms. She was all about service ~ just let me know if you want more towels or if you need anything.

During the evening, the innkeeper passed me by on my way in after dinner with my friend, asking me if I needed any water, and insisted I call her if I needed anything.

Breakfast that morning was made to order, and I had the most delicious fresh spinach, mushroom, red pepper omelet along with great company during breakfast ~ Shawn and Winston, the chef. I commented on how friendly everyone at the Mansion was and they both said that they LOVE working at the Mansion, that there are like family ~ and everyone gets to give input and be creative with their talents. They also gave me tips on where to walk, even down to how many blocks it was to my destination for lunch.

That afternoon, I pulled a chair by one of the windows in my room, opened the window (70 degrees, sunny) and read my book overlooking one of the hills in Pittsburgh until my friend came to pick me up. Although I was not even at the Mansion for 24 hours, I felt like I had just had a four-day vacation!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Patty1221

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
waterford, pa
Reviewed March 2, 2011

My friends and I rented 4 of the 5 rooms and the movie theater room at the Mansion bed & breakfast for the final weekend in February 2011, and we could not have been more pleased with our experience! Absolutely first-class accommodations and food! The staff was so kind, professional and friendly! Spa services provided were top-rate! We are talking about making our weekend and annual outing! We were completely happy with our entire experience!!! Would not hesitate to recommend the Mansion to anyone looking for a relaxing ladies' weekend, romantic getaway or just a elegant and comfortable overnight stay with a delicious breakfast the next morning!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Erie PA
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Where to start....private dining / two hd tv's and a whirlpool tub all private in my room....didn't see too much of the city ...wink wink ...the fiancé and I relaxed she watched her show I watched mine then the rest of the time in the steam shower or whirlpool tub. Amazing check out the exec suite.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We stayed here for a winter get-away weekend in the Executive Suite. It was fabulous! The room actually includes two large rooms (a bedroom and a sitting room/media room) and a huge bathroom. Both rooms had large HDTV's, Blu-ray, satellite, etc. Wifi was free and fast. The bathroom was a relaxation highlight - marble all around, a large two-person jacuzzi tub, and a large shower with a real steam sauna feature. Breakfast was equally great, with a chef on-hand to prepare the cook-to-order meal. Staff was super friendly and easy. Free on-site, gated parking. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Oil City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Just stayed at the Mansion at Maple Heights. Great stay for business. Bed ultra comfortable. In King room. Rooms very clean. Breakfast was great! Check in was very easy. The ladies helped find a great take-out place. Excellent customer service. For the area, the price of the rooms was great. (Was there the Night the Steelers won the championship. Go Steelers! Try and find an inexpensive room). The decorating is austere, but, I found everything to be very comfortable.
Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LaurieTravels62
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion for our anniversary weekend and we couldn't have asked for a better stay!! The location is perfect as it is very close to the Shadyside shops and restaurants. You could walk to the restaurants but it was FREEZING so we took a cab and the fare was only $4.00. Upon arrival to the Mansion, someone immediately came outside to greet us and help us with our bags. Once inside, we were given a quick tour and shown to our room. It is not a typical bed and breakfast as it is decorated in a more traditional style, but we definitely preferred this. Our room was very nice, clean, and comfortable. The best part about the Mansion is definitely the service. I felt like someone was always there anytime we needed help with anything (restaurant reservations, cab ride, etc) but we were also not disturbed unnecessarily. Also- the breakfast is wonderful!! Chef Winston made anything we wanted and he was also extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome. This was a very nice change compared to the crappy continental breakfasts you get at most hotels! We love to visit Pittsburgh and next time we come back we would not stay anywhere else!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I spent 1 night here and wished I had the chance to spend many more! From the beautiful, spacious rooms to the wonderful staff they made me feel so welcomed after a long journey. My room was huge, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a girls dream come true!! The food was great and they were able to make me anything I wanted. Overall the stay was excellent and next time I am in Pittsburgh I will stay here!!

• Stayed October 2010