“very pleasantly surprised”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
PA
“very pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

we just returned from a trip to pittsburgh to visit my daughter at college. I had originally booked another hotel but after checking with trip advisor decided to change hotels last minute due to the bad reviews. I checked out The Fairmont on Trip advisor and the hotel website and booked a two nite stay the nite before our arrival. I was a little nervous because I had stayed in the Fairmont princess in Bermuda and was very disappointed in how dated the hotel was (they may have updated since I was there). We also checked IN and OUT of the Fairmont in Arizona on the same day because they had given our room to someone else and it too looked very dated. I might also add the hotel staff was rude and just plain horrible. BUT.... the Fairmont Pittsburgh exceeded all our expectations from the minute we pulled up to the minute we checked out. They honored every request I had asked for. The front desk staff is wonderful as is the rest of the hotel staff we encountered. They make you feel so special. The room had a beautiful view of the ball park and river. The decor was very modern and sleek and everything was clean and fresh. The bathroom was beautiful too. One other thing I liked about this hotel was it was relatively quiet for a weekend. The age group seemed a little older and more reserved. This hotel is new so everything about it is sparkling. I hope it stays that way and hope the staff stay as energetic and enthusiastic and wonderful. we can't wait for our next stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
Good day,

I'm happy to read how our colleagues made your visit special, and executed on our mission. We all strive to provide meaningful service and treat each moment as an opportunity to create a memory.

We look forward to welcoming you back and creating many more memories with you.

Jon Mathews
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

From the minute I stepped out of my cab and through the front door of the Fairmont in Pittsburgh, I knew it was going to be special. Rachel, the front desk clerk confirmed my reservation and then offered to tell me about the hotel's President's Club as she walked me to the elevator. I returned the completed form to her after settling into the beautifully appointed, clean and comfortable room. She promptly registered my membership, provided a temporary number so that I could access the internet at no cost. That was just the start of a wonderful stay. From the excellent concierge service, friendly lounge staff, shuttle service in the hotel's house car (we nicknamed her Lexie - for Lexus) when finding a taxi proved impossible, the entire experience was outstanding. Every arrival back to the hotel was greeted by many staff, some of whom remembered my name and used it. That kind of service is rare but very much appreciated. When I had to cut my trip short and leave a day earlier than expected, they happily closed the file with no penalty. I was in Pittsburgh three years ago, and stayed at the now decertified Hilton, and can say that the experience did not leave a good impression of the city. Thanks to Rachel, Steve and Steve (Concierges) who truly made a difference, I now have fond memories and can recommend, without hesitation, the Fairmont and its exceptionally friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Thank you for taking a moment to provide your comments on your recent experience. We strive to provide a warm, welcoming hotel with colleagues who genuinely want to extend the finest in guest service.

I will pass on your comments to Rachel, Steve and Steve, they will be delighted to know they made a difference in your stay.

We are glad to be a pleasant portion of your trip to Pittsburgh, and hope to help create many more memories.

Falconer, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

My best friend and I had tickets to see Phantom of the Opera at the Benedum and I wanted to find a hotel that was close to the theater. The location of the Fairmount was absolutely perfect for a quick walk to the evening show. From the moment we pulled the car up to the front of the hotel and the valet assisted us out of the car, this hotel was perfect in every way. The desk staff were very welcoming and nice and gave me an upgrade to a deluxe room on the top floor of the hotel. Even the elevators are elegant. The views from the room were of the river, station square, the inclines, and market square. We pulled our chairs up to the floor to ceiling windows and just sat there in awe. The beds were comfortable and soft, the bathroom huge, and the lighting and mirrors were exceptional. We had the opportunity to eat at both Andy's and Habitat, and both were very good. I left my room key in my room right before being seated for breakfast and the restaurant host was able to get me new keys right as I sat and ate my breakfast. They were all very kind, polite, and extremely accommodating. I have stayed at many beautiful hotels, but this is at the top. I felt like I was spoiling myself a little by being here. I want to go back soon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Tracy,

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our design details and recognized our colleagues for their efforts in ensuring your stay was perfect. They will be happy to read your kind words.

We also would like to have you stay again soon.

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

Very nice new property in downtown Pittsburgh. Was assigned room 2010 with a King bed upon arrival, which was a lovely surprise since only 2 bedded rooms were available when I made the reservation.

Pros:
- The front desk staff was friendly and proficient
- Same goes for the bell staff
- Modern, well designed room, bathroom and workspace
- Very comfortable bed
- Quiet
- Free wireless with President's Club membership
- Great view of the ballpark, river and downtown buildings

Cons:
- Housekeeping staff needs further training or supervision (stains in bathtub, fingerprints on desk and and used shoe mitt were unappealing).
- Inattentive service from the young man waiting tables in the lobby bar
- Room Service menu was great, but the food itself was disappointing upon arrival. That isn't a Panini, guys... that is a grilled cheese sandwich!
- I think the room rate ($330) was a bit high for Pittsburgh.

All of the above cons are pretty minor in the scheme of things. I'm probably pickier than the average traveller. I would definitely choose this hotel again for a future visit if a lower rate is available.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

My sister and I were visiting eastern Ohio for a family reunion, and decided to spend our last afternoon/evening in Pittsburgh. Other than struggling to drive to the hotel through the downtown area (streets under construction, many unmarked intersections) our experience here was entirely positive.

The facilities are beautiful. The rooms, lobby and other common areas are sleek and modern without being cold and stark. Decor includes a museum-quality displays of the history of the area and many artifacts that were unearthed during excavation for the building. The rooms are quite large and well-appointed with complimentary coffee/tea and very large bathrooms. The lobby has a comfortable bar/lounge area where we enjoyed a nightcap.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and my room service breakfast arrived on time and HOT.

In a heartbeat, I would splurge again and stay at the Fairmont when visiting Pittsburgh.

• Stayed August 2010
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Thank-you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the design and the artifacts and hope you got to see the Lithophanes. We'll be sure to share your feedback with our colleagues.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Redondo Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

We visited Pittsburgh for the first time for a wedding at the Sheraton Station Square. Due to severe overbookings at the Sheraton, we were forced last minute to find a new hotel and THANK GOD we switched to the Fairmont! Although the Sheraton has a great location in Station Square, the hotel is old and dingy and the service is terrible. The Fairmont was a welcome upgrade (and the cost was not much more than the Sheraton). Facilities are brand new and gorgeous, and our room had a great view of PNC Park. Service was exceptional and the staff catered to our every need with ease, including complimentary rides to Station Square (saving us cab fare for staying across the river). Concierge even offered to help me with a refund at a local wine store when I realized I had been overcharged (and the store was closed on the day I was leaving).

The only two drawbacks are 1) Market Square is under construction and there isn't much going on in that area of town and 2) Do not get a room next to an elevator if you are a light sleeper - the sound of the gears moving can drive you mad!

Overall, exceptional service at a great price - especially when compared to the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience and provide this review. We were happy to have you and appreciate your kind comments about our colleagues. They will be happy to hear them. We also appreciate the feedback on your room.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

We had a very nice stay at the new Fairmont Pittsburgh. We were luckily upgraded to a beautiful, spacious suite. The suite was luxurious, modern and clean. The suite had a telescope to see PNC Park.
Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was also very good.
Only drawback - the hotel bar is rather expensive and not very inviting - just sort of sitting there in the lobby.
HINT: valet parking is not necessary - you can just drive into the garage on the left side of the building and take the elevator up. And you will get a self-park ticket which you can pay for at a machine by the elevators.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple