“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Aarhus, Arhus, Denmark
“Great hotel”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont in downtown Pittsburgh for four nights. I got a so-called "Fairmont City View Room King bed non-smoking" and it was nice. The view was excellent from 15. The wall with the window was basically just glass and you could watch down on the south side of downtown Pittsburgh. The staff was friendly. Except one of the "bell boys". He didn't open the door for me when I walked in and out of the hotel. The other staff would open the door for me though. Not that I really care about it, but I noticed this. That's why I am mentioning this in this review. And every staff that served me got a tip from me.

They have a nice restaurant that serves an excellent Caesar's Salad and the restaurant staff was very nice and friendly.

Close to the reception, there is a bar. I had a sandwich dish and it was nice. They get their food from the same kitchen that supplies their restaurant on the second floor.

So my family also had a party at the hotel at their big hall. I have no complaints about that. Everything was fine. This was my experience.

The points, that are not so good: That one bell-boy and the fact that wifi internet is not complimentary. This is a pretty up-class hotel, so I didn't quite understand why I had to pay for wifi. However, when I did purchase access to the wifi, the wifi worked flawlessly.

In conclusion; I would stay there again, despite some minor issues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was a regular at the Andy's bar at the Fairmont Hotel. Good drinks, not so good service. Well didnt make much of the sub-par service coz the bar is usually busy I do understand the gap. Last evening I had a horrible experience at their reception area. My wife & I were waiting for a taxi at stand opposite their entrance for a while. A taxi starts to come towards where we were and one of the hotel staff decided to cut us and put some of his guests into the cab. I was shocked at this and approached him questioning his action. The hotel staff, Daniel, started to hurl abuses at me justifying his action and continued to raise his voice. One of the managers, Michele stepped in to understand the situation but Daniel continued to shout and defend himself.

Such kind of behavior is a result of pride, lack of customer service and respect. Needless to say, I am done with visiting this place. I warn others to watch out for any lack of customer service during their visit to the Fairmont.

2 Thank Satya_V
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to learn about your experience at Andys. Rest assured we value your comments and have received them as an opportunity for improvement. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly and investigate this issue further. Please contact me by calling the hotel at 412-773-8800.

Jean-Francois Lincourt
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I LOVE this hotel! We live in Pittsburgh and stay here occasionally for a 'staycation' with our pups. On out most recent visit we were due to check out, but while we were enjoying our coffee and the view of PNC Park we decided to stay another night and take in the ball game! Cannot say enough great things about this hotel!

Room Tip: PNC Park view rooms are great, especially if the Pirates are playing, you may see fireworks
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 20, 2013

From the first phone call to book the room to checking out, the staff was extremely helpful, courteous, and professional. We brought our two dogs with us (as they offered pet-friendly rooms for an add'l $25 charge per night). As soon as we entered the lobby we were greeted with dog treats and asked if we needed dog beds - which they immediately brought up to our room. Every time we passed through the lobby everyone greeted us, held the door open for us, and asked how are stay was. Housekeeping even called us to remind us that we had left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and that if we wanted housekeeping they would come back up and clean.

The two aspects of our stay that was slightly disappointing was the initial cleanliness of our room and the $$ for WiFi. I found a peanut on the carpet, a hair on the robes, and the Keurig machine still had an empty coffee pod left in it from the previous guests. We also had to call down for tea bags, which they apologized that they had forgotten them. The Wifi should be complimentary when you are paying $340 per night for a room.

The hotel was in a great downtown location with a cute square with tons of choices of restaurants right next door. Overall, we would definitely return and would recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. While I am pleased to learn about your service experience, I am sorry that the cleanliness of the room did not meet your expectations. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping department to address these issues. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Pittsburgh soon.

Warm regards,
Jean-Francois Lincourt,
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The room my fiancé and I stayed in was probably the most beautiful hotel room I've ever seen. It was on the 19th floor, with a view of PNC Park. it was spacious, decorated nicely, and very comfortable. This is pretty much the only positive thing we encountered during our stay.

The hotel's restaurant, Habitat, was mediocre at best. It was very overpriced for food that just wasn't worth it. Room service was slow. Any time we called to have our dishes cleared away, or for any other request, we'd have to call 2 or 3 times because no one ever came to the room.

The vending machine in the parking garage (which seemed like a better option than the ridiculously overpriced, tiny beverages in the wet bar) vended expired sodas that looked absolutely disgusting. We finally got a soda that was in date (although it's expiration date was the next day) and the machine ate our money. $5.00 for an almost expired Pepsi. Great.

The parking situation was terrible. Upon booking our stay, I read that parking was $20/day with in/out privileges. Nope. You only have in/out privileges if you use valet parking, which, after watching how the valets treat the guests' cars, I would never let them step foot in mine. So, we paid $20 everytime we wanted to leave. Ridiculous.

At one point, the parking garage machine would not accept my credit card. I pressed the "help" button, and a man told me over the speaker to just "back up and come to my office." So, I had to back up, even with a line of cars behind me, wander around until we found the parking office, because he didn't even explain where to go, and once we found this guy, he was very rude and condescending to both of us. Also, apparently we had been doing it wrong - you're supposed to receive a ticket that you scan upon exiting the garage. Although the front desk had told me just to scan my credit card. The whole parking garage situation was confusing and frustrating.

The wifi is not free, and you have to pay for it every 24 hours. And if you choose the cheapest option (which is still something like $14/day) you get slow Internet.

There is no area outside for smokers. No chairs, benches, ashtrays, etc.

The hotel was advertised as "within walking distance" to a venue that my fiancé and I were seeing a concert at. Sure, it was within walking distance.. Over a bridge that you couldn't walk over. We had to drive.

And finally, you would think that a hotel with such luxury amenities would have something as simple as a mini fridge and DVD player in the room.

The Fairmont has gorgeous rooms and a mostly friendly staff, but that in no way overshadowed all the issues we encountered during our stay. I doubt that we will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Megan Y
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to learn about your experience with Habitat and in-room dining and have shared your feedback with our colleagues. I am also sorry to learn about your less than satisfactory experience with parking, however, please note that the parking garage located in the building is owned and operated by a third party. Again, we value your comments and have received them as an opportunity for improvement.

Jean-Francois Lincourt,
Montvale, New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My son and I visited Pittsburgh for the first time to take in a game at beautiful PNC ballpark. The hotel's location, amenities and service were first rate. We took the usual two hour open air bus ride to acclimate ourselves with the city; back at the Hotel there was a live jazz band in the evening, frenetic but controlled excitement as a wedding was going on and a general convivial atmosphere.Rob C.

Room Tip: Up high facing PNC ballpark
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Location is great, Hotel seems brand new. My room was absolutely wonderful, everything was perfect. Room service was very quick, and food also good. Went to the bar and received also good service. Will come back to this luxary hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business