“Service exceptional; gym beyond compare”

Fairmont Pittsburgh
Ranked #5 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Pittsburgh this past weekend for a wedding. My husband and I paid for two of our adult children and their spouses to stay for the weekend, as well. This review reflects all of our experience, because we all agreed it was an exceptional experience.
There is so much to rave about beginning with the humongous gym with great equipment and the view of the city from the floor to ceiling windows. All of us work out regularly and we agreed that we have never been in such a large and well-equipped hotel gym. In addition, there was an assortment of fresh fruit available. One of us had a massage in the spa that is with the gym and said it was very good.
The rooms are quite large, with lovely appointments. We liked that binoculars were supplied in the room--cute touch. Everything was very clean and fresh.
One sign of an exceptional hotel is what they do about ice machines. Sure enough! At the Fairmont the ice machine is in its own room with a door that closes and it is by the elevators and there are no guest rooms around it. Also, there is filtered water available by the ice machine that you can use to fill your own water bottle, or borrow a glass one from them during your stay.
We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant, Habitat. The fresh fruit was so good, especially for fruits like watermelon being out of season. In addition, the breakfast bar included fruit smoothies and bowls of raspberries, blackberries and more, which, like the fruit trays, the staff kept full. Their own granola was delicious with pistachios, dried cranberries and crunchy toasted oats,
We had cocktails in their bar, Andy's. The jazz aficionado among us said the jazz group was good. The drinks were a hit with all of us.
And the service! One of the women in our group broke her heel at a nearby restaurant. The staff at the Fairmont noticed and volunteered! to fix it in their own workshop, which they did. When we were leaving, because of all the construction going on nearby, they took the time to print out directions for how to get around the traffic jams. Finally, I had emailed the chief concierge, Mark Chambers, days before we came with a list of 8 questions (yeah, I know--I'm a stickler for detail): he emailed me answers to all of them within 24 hours, copied his staff on it since he wouldn't be around during the weekend, and his advice was right on.

Room Tip: ask for a river view; also, using prepay and becoming a president's club member gets you a very...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Pittsburgh

Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the time we arrived, until the moment we left we were treated wonderfully. The service was friendly and polite, yet very professional. Our room was clean, but that's the absolute minimum you would expect of a hotel like this--It was also spacious, had a great view, and was very quiet. The location is centrally located in the city, making it easy to walk. Each evening when we returned, there was live jazz music in the lobby--Not just amateur musicians, these were some of the best jazz musicians I've heard anywhere. If you're visiting Pittsburgh, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013
FairmontPittsburgh, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay, as well as the live jazz music in our lobby. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Pittsburgh.

Front Office Manger

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is one of the nicest hotels in the city. Very beautiful architecture and interior design. Slightly over priced for a Midwest deal but you get what you pay for! Will stay again! Hopefully soon!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the seoncd time I've stayed at this hotel and I've enjoyed each trip. The room was spacious and clean. Service, form the bell hops to the front desk to the maid service were all top notch. The gym is also well set-up with plenty of equipment and a helpful staff. So, why not 5 stars? My only real compliant was that the room temp only went to 65 degrees, which should have been fine, but it felt hotter, and one needed to keep the fan on to avoid the start-up and shut-down noise. I also felt that the cost of breakfast was a little too much. When you're spending over $25 per person for basically an egg and some fruit, it's too much. Would I return? Absolutely. The great points about this place far outweigh a few minor nits.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been a pretty loyal patron of the Fairmont brand for many years now, and I must say that my experience with the Fairmont Pittsburgh met all of my expectations-- and then some. This hotel is probably the most modern of the Fairmonts I have stayed in-- sleek design and hooked-up with a work-space to please any business traveler. It's everything you want in a business-hotel, but I'm saving that last star because I don't really see it as a very romantic hotel.

Ideal for those needing to be downtown, walk-able to many points of interest, and surprisingly safe at night. Dining wasn't ideal, but there are plenty of places within a few blocks away. Service was top notch, and Edie, the hotel dog was as sweet as can be. I'll be staying here again next time I'm in the 'Burgh.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with us. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay. I will certainly share your kind feedback with Edie, our canine ambassador. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Pittsburgh.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This location allowed my teenage son and I to walk all over town while spouse was at business meetings. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable with a great view of the river. The night we arrived (Halloween-eve), there was a party going on in the lobby / bar area with many dressed in drag. It was loud and crowded; we had to squeeze by with our luggage to get to the elevator. The next night the lobby / bar was more reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This property is beautiful and I really like their separate shower/bath and the wide variety and taste of room service menu (e.g. In addition to standard menu, they also have around 6 menus for diabetes, low fat, and other healthy choice).

The only drawback was the room wasn't warm enough in winter time and when I brought this up to front desk, the person didnt seem to care or follow up. That's probably not reflective of the 5-star caliber of this property.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your room accommodations but was sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing excellent service and your experience at the front desk did not reflect this. I have shared your feedback with my team.

Front Office Manager