“Second visit missed the mark”

Fairmont Pittsburgh
Ranked #6 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Last year my husband and I stayed in a suite at the Fairmont and the experience was utterly flawless, (see my previous review) so I decided to suprise him on his birthday with another visit. I booked a suite through the Fairmont website for a one night stay and payed in advance for the room. I was somewhat shocked to see that the price for the suite had increased nearly $70, but the experience was so delightfiul last time I proceeded with the purchase. Including taxes, the room charge for the suite was $545.70. I realize now I could have bought my hubby an IPad for his birthday for what I was paying for this room, and in hindsight I think that would have been the better purchase. For me personally paying over $500 for a room is a splurge, a genuine treat, so I go in with extremely high expectations. And when my expectations are met I am elated and feel it was money well spent because I got the experience I was anticipating. Sadly, this time at the Fairmont I left disappointed and feeling as though I overpaid. First of all, my husband checked in very quickly in an effort to make it to the Pirate game where I was meeting him so we didn't actually get back to the room until after the game around 10:45 pm. When I first saw the suite, my heart sank. It was so different from the last suite we stayed in the year before I couldn't believe the difference. The suite we were assigned to this time was facing Mt. Washington rather than PNC Park which was a bummer as we really enjoyed checking out the ballpark through the telescope last time we visited. But, it was not just the view, the suite was actually smaller. The living area only had a small couch as opposed to a larger and more comfortable sectional, and a very small dinette table, as opposed to the larger dining table in the previous suite. The bathroom in the bedroom was also much smaller and less grand than the last time and there was no telescope (but a pair of bonoculars instead). I am guessing now that the last suite we stayed in was so spectacular because it was a corner room, but frankly, I never dreamed that the differences would be so dramatic. At any rate, I was quite sad because I had gifted this room to my hubby and it was not what we were expecting so I picked up the phone to call guest services. I asked to speak with the front desk and was told they were busy helping other guests, but the gentleman on the phone said he could assist me. So, I told him my concern and inquired if it was possible to be moved to the other side of the hall in order to have a view of PNC Park. He proceeed to tell me that the suites were all identical in size and amenities and asked if he could place me on a very brief hold so I obliged. Well, 10 minutes later after hearing the phone kick into ringing mode, I was still on hold! The phone continued to ring and nobody ever answered it. My husband was feeling badly about the whole thing and said we should just head out and get a night cap somewhere and forget about it. He was sure they would leave us a voice message and we could tend to it when we returned. So, after nearly 15 minutes on hold I hung up and we headed to the bar, but after an hour and a half no voice message. It was as if I had never called, as if my concern meant nothing. This complete lack of customer service truly leaves me dumbfounded. We decided to call it a night and kept the room we had. In addition to being disappointed with the suite we received I noticed that the floormat in the bathroom was soiled or stained which is something you don't expect to see in a $500 plus night a room and there were clothes hangers hanging off the door knob from a previous guest. On the upside, the bar service at Andy's in the lobby was still top notch and I would most certainly return there for a drink. However, I don't think I will choose the Fairmont again in the future, there are many other choices in the city, certainly much more affordable options.

Room Tip: Ask for the side facing PNC Park and a corner room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank RMG66
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with us. We are sorry to learn that your room did not meet your expectations. Please also know that the luxury and high level of service that we strive to provide our guests was not well represented during your stay. Please contact me at the hotel so I can investigate these service issues further.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We live in Pittsburgh but sadly do not spend as much time Downtown as we would like. We love the Fairmont for many reasons (location, service) but mostly because the hotel is pet friendly (dogs and cats). We are able to take our 2 miniature dachsunds with us to enjoy market square and the surrounding areas. The service is great-when we asked for dog bowls they were delivered within minutes. My only negative is that I did notice dust- on the minibar top, the tray with the room service menu, bathroom surfaces. Not a big deal as the room was generally clean, but for the rating and the cost I don't expect to see dust! During our last stay the room was impeccably clean, so hoping this was an annomaly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PittsburghBeachgal

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are happy to learn that you and your miniature dachsunds have enjoyed your stays at Fairmont Pittsburgh. We are always pleased to welcome four-legged guests. I was, however, sorry to hear of the room cleanliness issues and will address this with our director of housekeeping. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here last January and really loved it. This time, I learned more about it and felt greater access to the amenities. The biggest secret is the gym and the locker rooms. The steam, sauna and palatial proportions of the locker room, as well as the necessary grooming items mean just showing up after a work out and returning to your room in a robe, but completely showered and groomed. Each time, I do not leave enough time to enjoy. The staff also puts out a fruit spread with coffee and tea - and fruited water that keeps you refreshed both during and post work-out. I loved the place. The yoga room for stretching and the equipment is top notch for weight training. Even had some kettle balls. Enjoyed this time.

As for the rest - I was celebrating an anniversary and the staff had a cake, champagne and other goodies waiting for us. We loved the indulgence and had the kind of evening we had hoped for.

We never had to leave the property. Great restaurant. Great bar. Cozy corners. Wonderful staff. We did have breakfast across the street - and that was good for local cuisine.

Overall, once again...still wonderful.

Room Tip: we faced Mount Washington - and that was very nice. overlooked Market Square. Even though there was...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank strategic2020

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. I am thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your health club experience and will share your feedback with our colleagues there. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Pittsburgh soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Nice, spacious, upscale rooms with convenient location to downtown and PNC Park. Nice to walk across the bridge to the ball park for a game or to a variety of restaurants close by. Very new hotel and nice amenities included in stay. Will stay at again and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Honestly, I can't find anything wrong with this hotel. OK, the art in the lobby, especially that horrible, horrible piece right over the front desk. I'm a big fan of modern art but not when it's that obnoxious. Other that that, very nice service, spacious rooms with great views, a pleasant, sun-filled restaurant, good location. Just everything one would expect for the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NikaRossa
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is the hotel to stay at for a pittsburgh visit. Great location for Dwntwn, pirates/pnc park, and short walk to station square added bonus of watching pnc fireworks from room (request room w view of pnc park). Room was spotless and new, not redone. Didn't use restaurant/ bar but seemed crowded and nice jazz band fri/sat note. . 4 on value is just because I typically don't stay at this nice of hotels when traveling for business.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 10, 2012

One of the best Fairmont hotels I have ever stayed at. Exceptional sevice, obviously a very well trained, motivated staff. I found them to be very proactive as far as customer service is concerned... almost anticipating needs and making suggestions as a result... very refreshing vs. other older crusty hotels and staff.

Also, best hotel gym I have ever seen and I have worked out in gyms on five different continents.

Finally, excellent location.