“First Time at Tamari”

Cross street: Betweeen 35th & 36th St
Bozeman, Montana
“First Time at Tamari”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

First time in Tarmari. A little out of the way in Lawrenceville and parking is a challenge. Nothing fancy inside, but the food is superb. Four of us in the back for a business dinner had a great time with a variety of tapas. The combination of the Latin approach to Sushi Rolls is great. Service was prompt curteous and knowledge about all the various dishes. The wine list is limited, but the bar was full so they certainly have sufficient alcohol to satisfy the locals.

Wexford, Pennsylvania
“A gem!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Food is terrific! Happy hour is really extensive - half priced tapas which are very good...the bulgogi, tacos, grilled romaine, tuna tartare and guac - all terrific! Go on a Weds for half-priced bottles of wine and buy one get on maki rolls....try the Tamari and Chaif (FAVORITE). The robata grill sticks are good, too - a nice add on, Enjoy!!! My new go to place!

Mentor, Ohio
“Great experience at the new location for Tamari, Warrendale, PA”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was my second trip to the new Tamari Restaurant in Warrendale, PA. Both visits were for dinner with clients. Both clients had been there before and raved about the food. I totally agree with them. Both visits the overall experience was very favorable, good service, great atmoshere and outstanding food.
I look forward to my next visit.

BurghGirl71
“Great food, inattentive service”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

To start off we LOVED the food - when we eventually got it, that is. The service was inattentive and inefficient to say the least. Three of us ate at the Lawrenceville location - our first visit- and quite possibly the last. I would give it another shot as would our guest, but my husband was annoyed to the point that he has no interest in going back.

We arrived a few minutes early for our reservation and we seated immediately. (The first floor dining area behind the kitchen bar was really cold - cold air was blowing forcefully and was uncomfortable for all of us.) The room was extremely loud.

We were given the regular and Restaurant Week menus right away. A short time later a server appeared and asked for our drink orders, but we had just started looking at the one drink menu that we 3 had to share. Server returns and takes our drink orders: 2 of the same cocktail and one draft beer. It took a good 20 minutes to get those drinks after ordering. In the meantime we froze. The pisco sours were merely acceptable - rather weak (Alma's is so much better.) I have never had one in Peru but my husband has, and he made a face when he tasted it. The draft local craft beer was very good.

After a rather lengthy wait the server finally came back for our food orders. We ordered everything all at once. 2 of us shared the guacamole and plantain chips and ordered "entrees" with it. Now here's the weird thing. My husband ordered the 3 course special that included a salad, a starter and an entree. Instead of bringing his salad with our starter, he sat here and waited and watched us eat. They brought his starter with our entrees. Before he was served his 2nd course we were done with our entrees. We asked for the dessert menu which was brought right away but they were out of the spicy chocolate cake which was 1/3 of the menu. We then sat and watched as he ate the rest of his meal, but our server had disappeared so we couldn't ask for anything else (although no guarantee it would have arrived anyway.) When he was done the server reappeared to take our dessert order. By this time nearly 2 hours had passed.

The guacamole was fresh but lacked flavor. The lime was very strong and the very little bits of onion, queso fresco, jalapeno and cilantro were sort of inconsequential and had no impact on the flavor. It lacked salt or something. Now here is another thing: my shrimp tacos were both hot and cold. It was apparent they weren't brought as soon as they were ready, but sat an waited for other dishes. I have to say, however, the taste was balanced and flavorful. The Scottish Salmon with ginger polenta was a huge hit and totally yummy. The mushroom salad and TNT maki were very, very good. (The maki was the best ever and that is what I'd get when I go back.) My husband really liked his bulgogi a lot. Tender and tasty. I ordered the panna cotta, but it was disappointing: bland and tasteless. The accompanying thin peanut brittle coin and fruit compote were great. Our guest order a cardamom dessert (sort of a crispy cake-like log) with peanut mousse and it was outstanding. I wish I had ordered that.

They were busy to be sure but they should have been better prepared if they usually aren't busy at that hour(s). Maybe our drinks were delayed because we arrived for dinner during Happy Hour that ends at 7 pm, but that is just odd and wrong. Anyway, they don't really explain the differences in the size of the tapas or the other dishes and the menu isn't really all that helpful in distinguishing between what they consider a tapa and an entree other than possibly price. It would be helpful to explain the items a bit better - which are sharable or not should be indicated on the menu. The sizes vary considerably, as do the "entrees," the maki and other items we saw going to other tables. I guess you have to keep going back in order to "get it."

SUMMARY: We won't quibble at all with the quality of the food, despite some inconsistencies, but overall the lack of attention from the server was annoying and the service of the food was pretty dismal. I kind of see why they needed to do a half -price dining deal.

Go when you have time to wait for their servers to show up and serve. The food is worth at least one visit.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very good brunch”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had a very good Sunday brunch at Tamari. The bread that they make was wonderful, the selections were very interesting, well-presented and very good. If anything, service was a little slow, but they had just opened and they were obviously preparing for a large party that was coming in before we left. We would definitely go back.