“German Beer Hall and Garden, So Fun!”

Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh
Ranked #32 of 2,254 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This is a great place to go no matter who you are! There is a dining room, a beer hall and an outdoor beer garden, so no matter what the crowd it is a great experience. There is a great band in the beer hall on the weekends, and a very laid back atmosphere.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed May 13, 2010

This new restaurant is a branch of the Hofbrauhaus of Munich. It is in a very authentic looking building located in a new shopping and entertainment area. The area is a bit charmless, much like a lot of new shopping dining areas with mostly chain places, but this restaurant is the real deal. The restuarant has many areas inlcuding the traditional beer hall, a terraced, a dining room and outdoor dining. The beer hall has long tables just like the originally Hofbrauhaus. The food is inexpensive and the portions are huge. The food is authentic and very good. The pork hock has the crackling on it and it was delicious. The half order is gigantic. The beer is very good and there is also a changing seasonal special. The potato pancakes were excellent. The spaetzle were great too. The dumplings were a bit too firm and the Black Forest cake somewhat ordinary but still good. There is also American food. The noise level inside can be very high. I gave it an excellent rating because of the authentcity and the genuine atmosphere. It may not be to everyone's taste. The food is not delicate. The service is friendly but not upper end by any measure. If you enjoy German food, this is a good choice and very much an authentic experience. It is a lot better than most of the chain places in the area.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

Great place to eat if you have never been there or even if you have been there 25 times. The service is great, the food is excellent and the atmosphere is enjoyable. If you want great fod, great service and a fun time just this place out.

1  Thank dvillepa16635
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We visited the Hofbrauhaus for lunch on a cold, wet Saturday afternoon. There was no wait for a table and we had a choice of the "restaurant" or the "bier hall". We chose the bier hall because we thought it would be more fun and remind us of the time we went to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich when we lived in Germany a few years ago.
The decor in the bier hall was reminiscent of Munich with the long, picnic-style tables, but there were also booths along the walls. We were seated there and much preferred them to the other tables. At the front of the hall was a platform for the entertainment. On the day we were there, there was a lone accordian player (wearing lederhosen). He was very good and the music was not so intrusive that it prevented normal conversation. I thought the music added to the atmosphere of the bier hall. (The platform was large enough to accomodate more musicians which I suppose they have on special occasions or in the evenings.)
The menu had a nice choice of German food and some American food (primarily salads and sandwiches). At our table we had a combination of both. We started with the German pretzels and bier cheese. There were 4 large German-style pretzels which was almost too much food for our group of 3. If there had only been two people in the party, then the serving of 4 pretzels would have been way too much. They should offer a smaller portion for smaller groups because German pretzels are almost a meal in themselves.
Our main courses consisted of the 3-piece sausage plate with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut; the weiner schnitzel with warm German potato salad and mixed vegetables and the club sandwich on sourdough bread with french fries. Each of the people in our party enjoyed the dish they ordered and found it appropriately "German". The person who ordered the sandwich found it quite tasty but found the sourdough roll too large for her mouth. (It was big!) She had to separate the sandwich in the middle in order to eat it.
While we enjoyed the atmosphere and the food, we also found the waiter to be reminiscent of some waiters we had experienced in Germany--abrupt and not particularly friendly. We actually had a good laugh about it during the meal because it reminded us so much of our restaurant experiences in Germany.
I would assume that not all of the waitstaff acts like our waiter did, so I would recommend this restaurant for its good German food and authenic German beer. (I also recommend checking their website ahead of time to see their menu and beer choices if you are unfamiliar with German food and beer.)

Reviewed October 20, 2009

We went there on a Friday night. They told us the wait was about half an hour. At least 50 minutes later we finally got a table. About 5 minutes after the hostess had seated us a waitress asked us if we could move because she needed our table for a bigger group. Less than five minutes after we had moved a waiter came along and said (paraphrasing), "Well, I like this. You just grab two menus and seat yourselves. Well, that's not really how we do things around here." We felt that we were being accused of sneaking into the dining room. He also said that he needed us to move for a bigger group. We moved once again but by that time we were not only very hungry but not in a very pleasant mood.

The food was quite expensive and the portions weren't that large. It was good-tasting but not remarkable. The beer was very good ($4.50 for a draft). Due to the long wait, the uninformed wait-staff, and the just acceptable food, I doubt if we'll go back (especially since there is a Cheesecake Factory right across the street and their service is impeccable).

I emailed the Hofbrauhaus manager to tell him/her about our experience. I received no response so I decided to post my review here. I'll be happy to amend my review if I get a response giving any indication that they CARE about customer satisfaction. I think they're so busy right now that it really doesn't matter to them.

One more thing... it was VERY noisy. If you sit in the Bier Hall you practically have to shout to carry on a conversation with someone at your table.

1  Thank Kilgore