“A Taste of Germany--and Not Just the Food”

Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh
Ranked #13 of 2,150 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: German, Bar, European
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Arlington, Virginia
“A Taste of Germany--and Not Just the Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

We visited the Hofbrauhaus for lunch on a cold, wet Saturday afternoon. There was no wait for a table and we had a choice of the "restaurant" or the "bier hall". We chose the bier hall because we thought it would be more fun and remind us of the time we went to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich when we lived in Germany a few years ago.
The decor in the bier hall was reminiscent of Munich with the long, picnic-style tables, but there were also booths along the walls. We were seated there and much preferred them to the other tables. At the front of the hall was a platform for the entertainment. On the day we were there, there was a lone accordian player (wearing lederhosen). He was very good and the music was not so intrusive that it prevented normal conversation. I thought the music added to the atmosphere of the bier hall. (The platform was large enough to accomodate more musicians which I suppose they have on special occasions or in the evenings.)
The menu had a nice choice of German food and some American food (primarily salads and sandwiches). At our table we had a combination of both. We started with the German pretzels and bier cheese. There were 4 large German-style pretzels which was almost too much food for our group of 3. If there had only been two people in the party, then the serving of 4 pretzels would have been way too much. They should offer a smaller portion for smaller groups because German pretzels are almost a meal in themselves.
Our main courses consisted of the 3-piece sausage plate with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut; the weiner schnitzel with warm German potato salad and mixed vegetables and the club sandwich on sourdough bread with french fries. Each of the people in our party enjoyed the dish they ordered and found it appropriately "German". The person who ordered the sandwich found it quite tasty but found the sourdough roll too large for her mouth. (It was big!) She had to separate the sandwich in the middle in order to eat it.
While we enjoyed the atmosphere and the food, we also found the waiter to be reminiscent of some waiters we had experienced in Germany--abrupt and not particularly friendly. We actually had a good laugh about it during the meal because it reminded us so much of our restaurant experiences in Germany.
I would assume that not all of the waitstaff acts like our waiter did, so I would recommend this restaurant for its good German food and authenic German beer. (I also recommend checking their website ahead of time to see their menu and beer choices if you are unfamiliar with German food and beer.)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Poor Communication Among Staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

We went there on a Friday night. They told us the wait was about half an hour. At least 50 minutes later we finally got a table. About 5 minutes after the hostess had seated us a waitress asked us if we could move because she needed our table for a bigger group. Less than five minutes after we had moved a waiter came along and said (paraphrasing), "Well, I like this. You just grab two menus and seat yourselves. Well, that's not really how we do things around here." We felt that we were being accused of sneaking into the dining room. He also said that he needed us to move for a bigger group. We moved once again but by that time we were not only very hungry but not in a very pleasant mood.

The food was quite expensive and the portions weren't that large. It was good-tasting but not remarkable. The beer was very good ($4.50 for a draft). Due to the long wait, the uninformed wait-staff, and the just acceptable food, I doubt if we'll go back (especially since there is a Cheesecake Factory right across the street and their service is impeccable).

I emailed the Hofbrauhaus manager to tell him/her about our experience. I received no response so I decided to post my review here. I'll be happy to amend my review if I get a response giving any indication that they CARE about customer satisfaction. I think they're so busy right now that it really doesn't matter to them.

One more thing... it was VERY noisy. If you sit in the Bier Hall you practically have to shout to carry on a conversation with someone at your table.

1 Thank Kilgore
Canton, North Carolina
“Great Beer!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

Beer - Dunkel and Hefe Weizen,almost as good as the original brew in Munich. Jagerschnitzel and Bavarian style Schnitzel - good, could have been pounded a bit thinner to make me feel I was back in Germany; German potato salad was warm and delicious;veggies a bit soggy.
Atmosphere is American, but the beer is delicious. Tried getting in on Fri night, the place was packed, a good hour wait. Good sign that folks are going out to eat, and they are willing to eat German. We went back on Sat late afternoon, there was a wait to eat in the hall, we were hungry so we sat out on the deck that had heat units. If you dont want to share a table, or listen to the noise, sit out there.
Enjoyable place, great beer, food is definitely not Germany.

1 Thank WKGsmom