“Some good, some just "okay"”

Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh
Ranked #12 of 2,205 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I dropped by Hofbrauhaus for a beer and pretzel before the Steelers game and had a good experience. Beer (Dunked and Original) was great as expected, pretzel brought us back to our time spent in Munich. Bartender was very friendly and enjoyed talking Steelers football with us.

We ended up going back after the game for dinner since our hotel was right beside the place. We took a table this time in the bierhalle, the hostess seemed agitated to be there. Our waitress was good, quick with our requests and kept the beer flowing:-). Food was good, not quite as good as what you might get in Munich but still enjoyable. The atmosphere was so-so, maybe this has to do with it being a late Sunday evening before a workday.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We've been to Hofbraus several times, but last few have been disappointing. Potato pancakes, very well done, I should have sent back, but didn't. Also sauerkraut balls extremely salty :(
Staff doesn't seem like they want to be there either. Step up your game please. And really, hofbraus, your not gonna serve me 2 drinks until my hubby comes back from bathroom, really?!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Went there after moving our daughter into her dorm at Pitt. My husband is of German descent. He knew going in that it would be as good as his mother's cooking, but kept an open mind about it.
We arrived as soon as it opened and it was very empty. The menu has a lot to choose from. Both my daughter and husband selected the Munchner Bratwurst plate. My husband was able to substitute potato pancakes instead of the mashed potatoes. I chose the reuben sandwich, which came with fries. For an appetizer I had a cup of the Kartoffel Suppe. It was delicious!

The waiter we had seemed very inattentive. I noticed him talking to other workers on the other side of the dining room. Also, another thing that I did not like was that my husband asked him for a side of sour cream for his potato pancakes and we were charged $.79 for it. Really? I am not a cheap person, but really? I also asked them if they validate parking on the way out and was told by an employee..."it's only $3 for parking". I was only asking because we ate at the Cheesecake Factory numerous times and they validate parking. Next time...I will go back there instead.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had the schnitzel and leberkase that were both excellent. My favorite beer is the Dunkel. Make sure you get a table where you can see the live entertainment to soak up the fun atmosphere.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Dunkel beer was very good. All of the appetizers were also very good. The schnitzel and potatoes were very good as well. no complaints.