“What a selection!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Pittsburgh
“What a selection!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We ate here on New Year's Day, and were very impressed by the variety and quality of the items. Even my husband, who is not known for trying new things, was pleased with the huge selection. I came for the sushi and seafood, and was not disappointed, but even meat eaters will find enough to keep them happy. Being a holiday, the buffet was $20.99, but we definitely got our money's worth. Just the sushi and sashimi alone (I tried at least 6 different kinds), plus shrimp, crab legs, and raw oysters made the price a good deal.
I would have liked the different dishes to have been identified---there was so much, and not all of it is easily recognizable. My husband took what he thought was sauerkraut, only to be informed by the hostess (who was very friendly and helpful) that it was jellyfish! He passed it on to me. Not my favorite either, but not bad, and now I can say I've tried jellyfish.
I'll admit we were a bit nervous about the freshness and possible "side effects", but all was fine.
Service was generally attentive, drink orders were brought quickly, and plates were promptly cleared, but there were a few employees who's attention we just couldn't get.
We will definitely be back!

• Visited January 2013

“Nothing fishy about this place”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I'm really suprised to read the previous reviews on this place. Although I hesitate to admit it in public I'm no stranger to the asian food buffet. This place quickly launched itself to the top of my list. For $10.50 (lunch) I expected way less. The sushi choices were endless and fresh and creative: there was three dudes continuously making rolls and cutting fish. This is the only place I've ever seen fresh chopped ginger and thai basil on the hibachi line. All the food seems like its made from scratch and I look forward to another trip.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Been Dining Here for Years and Like It”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm confused by some of the reviews. I've been dining here for years and really enjoy it. I've always found the staff to be friendly and have no issues at all with the food. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but it's a sushi buffet. Ordering off the menu at another restaurant would certainly cost more than what you pay here for the selection. I've been eating sushi for years at many different restaurants and in many states and really enjoy the Tokyo Sushi Buffet. My only wish is that the eel was warm!

Visited October 2012
“Poor Food for a High Price”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Mistakenly did not inquire about price for buffet, totally my fault. I assumed $10-15 for diner time for good quality. Selection was poor and so was quality. When I received the bill for 4 at $100 I was physically ill and not from the food. I have been taking my family to oriental buffets for years in many different states and this by far was the most expensive. Being new to the area maybe this s what we should expect.

USA
“A regular of this place”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family loves this place. I personally fell in love with the sushi here...they have such a variety of it. The people working here are very friendly and, in contrast to other paces where we eat out with our 2 years old, the girls here are very nice and attentive to our son. They change the menu during the week-ends so, we always find many delicious foods to choose from. When we have visitors to Pittsburgh, we take them to this place, because there is always something for everybody, seafood lovers or not. The place is clean and I trust the cooks there. The only downside is the spicy price...we just paid $75 for three adults on a Saturday evening. Somebody was saying the parking lot was empty...most of the evenings it's packed...so, don't just listen to what some people have to say, go there and convince yourself of what the truth is!

• Visited September 2012