“Fine food and upscale but friendly atmosphere”
Review of Joseph Tambellini

Joseph Tambellini
Reserve with OpenTable
Joseph Tambellini is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 2,209 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mellon Street
Transit: Bus stop directly in front, for routes: 71A Highland Park
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Joe Tambellini and his wife, Melissa, have created a go-to spot in Highland Park. His menu is pretty much classic Italian, but certainly not red sauce and meatballs -- although, if you want that, he will make if for you. We have had excellent fish and seafood, veal, lamb, beef -- you name, Joe prepares it. The waitstaff is knowledgable and efficient, although the layout of the restaurant (and old home with dining rooms on all three floors, but only one kitchen) make it tough for them to maneuver sometimes. THe noise level can get high on the front room of the first floor,so be sure to ask for the back (in the nook with the fireplace) of the first floor or one of the higher floors.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We went to this restaurant in Regent Square with University colleagues (as two couples). We had a reservation on a Sunday night. The place was crowded, tables were arranged very close to each other, yet somehow the noise level was OK.
However, service was very, very slow and the food, when it finally arrived, neither outstanding, nor attractively presented. We were quite disappointed.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

We had a great meal here. The fried Zucchini appetizer is a must...and it is a big serving! My husband loved the Mafalda Giancarlo and I went more tradition with Tagliolini, marinara and meatballs. It was also fabulous, but the meatballs are gigantic and I would have liked them smaller. But the flavors are great. HUGE portions, if I'd not been at a hotel there would have been doggy bags! We were too full to try the delicious sounding desserts. Wonderful wine list and delicious coffee.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Quaint place located in a converted older home near the Pittsburg Zoo. Outstanding service and food, with a full, reasonably priced wine list too. Our entire party had entrees off the specials menu, and no one was disappointed. I enjoyed one of the best lamb dishes I've ever had. Also, the crab ball appetizer was a big hit. The owners are on site, and visited with us at the table...made us feel like family and were really appreciative of our patronage. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Joseph Tambellini’s is cozy, friendly and delicious and I always feel cared for and welcome when I am here. I began with a ‘Tam’bellini: a peachy concoction with champagne and advanced to a delightful salad with gorgonzola cheese. I had to have a meatball with my pasta course because they are feather-like and whomped with flavor. As is the not-unexpected case, my planned meal went awry. I’d come in sure I was ordering a veal chop but hearing one of the specials was pork wrapped in fine prosciutto, I altered the game, to great delight. The pork medallions were as tender as can be, the au jus a tangy tongue pleaser and the side of butternut squash risotto the perfect compliment. A house red warmed all, pointing toward the cannoli and coffee with amaretto, but the desert choice was tough as our table sported tiramisu, chocolate mousse cake and butterscotch poundcake with iced cream all of which we all cooed over. Friendly service, fine companionship, this was a delightful meal and terrific evening.