“WOW - This is a great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Columbus, Ohio
“WOW - This is a great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel this past week & encountered some of the best customer service ever. I travel frequently & can become quite picky at hotels - I could not find any fault here! The staff - from the front desk, to housekeeping, to shuttle drivers, and management were ALL very, very accommodating and very friendly. They seem to go out of their way to make everything just right! The rooms were clean, lighting was good, beds were very comfy (pillows were just OK), complimentary breakfast was good. I can't think of one thing that made me roll my eyes! I will definitely stay here next time I';m in Pittsburgh! Thank you to a great staff! You made my stay very pleasant!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
rvannessj, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Thank you for your feedback! I have posted your comments for our team to look at. I am very excited to see that you had a great experience at our Hotel. Our goal is to provide the best customer service in the Pittsburgh area. We appreciate your business and would love to have you as our guest on your next visit to Pittsburgh.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Visiting my child at Carnegie Mellon University, this hotel exceeded my expectations. After having stayed at another hotel on previous visits, this Hampton Inn blew them out of the water. Not only was there a better rate, but the service was amazing. Every employee greeted you with a smile and a warm comment. The room was impeccably cleaned during our stay.

Just one example of the type of service to expect - having gone downstairs to request something for my room, I noticed that the check in was a bit busy. So instead of waiting, I decided to return later on. While riding up the elevator, a gracious and kind employee (part of the housekeeping staff) was going up with me to a higher floor. She smiled and asked about my day. I mentioned to her why I had gone downstairs....without missing a beat the employee told me "I can take care of that for you"...got off at my floor, went into the supply closet and retrieved the item I needed.

This will now be our choice when visiting my child at CMU - for the convenience & price it's a winner. For the superior service - it's a keeper!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
rvannessj, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so happy that we will be your first choice while visiting Carnegie Mellon University. Customer Service is our main focus here at the Hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to have you as our guest on your next visit to Pittsburgh!
Amherst, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I was very happy as I checked into the Hampton Inn near the University of Pittsburgh. In town for a conference for the weekend, the hotel was easy walking distance to the campus, and the room was clean and beautiful when I walked in. The staff was helpful about helping me find a restaurant within walking distance that was open late, providing me with a map and a list of restaurants and giving me the top two picks. The first night I crawled into bed entirely happy.

The second night, however, the hotel had filled up with partyers. I was woken up in the middle of the night by the people next door screaming; a call to the front desk -- the first time I've done that in my whole life -- resulted in someone telling them to be quiet (I could hear him saying it), but not a significant noise reduction. The paper-thin walls -- they swayed when the doors opened and closed -- were the problem. There's probably very little sound that one would not overhear between rooms.

The staff was very pleasant, the bed comfortable, and the room well designed. The food in the breakfast bar was not up to usual Hampton Inn standards, and the coffee was so weak that after two cups of the "robust" coffee, I went out and got more somewhere better. So plan on eating somewhere else. But it's easy and safe to walk to nearby places -- probably easier than driving, since parking is so difficult.

Wireless throughout the hotel, and worked fine, as usual for Hampton Inns. Parking was $14/night, but parking is so hard to find around UPitt, that was probably a deal.

So if you can avoid it on a night that one of the local sports teams plays, it's a great room for the price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Ahmed002
rvannessj, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so sorry that you had to experience one of our game evenings while staying here for a meeting. I have informed the security to keep making rounds once a complaint is made about noise. We appreciate your business and would love for you to be our guest on your next visit to Pittsburgh! If you need anything, feel free to contact me directly.
Karmiel, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I enjoyed staying here. Good surroundings (University area).
Very good breakfast. Clean room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your feedback! It is important to our team here at the Hampton Inn University Center. I am so happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate your business and look forward to have you as our guest on your next visit to Pittsburgh!

Thanks,

Ronald Van Ness
Assistant General Manager
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

We were in town for a football weekend. The hotel is very close to the University of Pittsburgh. The hotel was clean and bed was comfortable. The parking fee was annoying. The complimentary breakfast was no frills but it was served its purpose. Overall it was a good value. My wife and I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
rvannessj, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback! We look forward to your next visit with us here at the Hampton Inn University Center!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at this Hampton Inn a week ago while visiting Pitt. It was not hard for us to find, and was convenient to the Pitt and CM campuses. The guys at the front desk were very helpful with directions and dinner suggestions. Although the shuttle usually leaves on the hour, it was not in use, so we got a ride to dinner. We were told we could call the front desk for a ride back, but chose to walk. The rooms were not as big as the rooms in those Hampton Inns you find in the country, but they were certainly adequate, especially for a city hotel. The beds were great. We did not find the breakfast area to be crowded, but again, it’s a city hotel, so it wasn’t a huge area. I noticed that the staff was extremely courteous in helping a woman with an impairment, both in addressing her needs at check-in and in fetching her breakfast. I wasn’t wild about the parking fee, especially since the hotel wasn’t right downtown, but what can you do?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
rvannessj, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback! It is very important to our Company as well as our Hotel! I am so glad that the Staff took great care of you on your visit to our property! We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit in Pittsburgh!

Best Regards,

Ronald Van Ness
Assistant General Manger
Hampton Inn University Center
Moorhead, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

This Hampton has all the usual ammenities of a Hampton. The rooms are fine and clean. The breakfast area is very tight. The staff are not very efficient in getting breakfast items full and refilled. They always seemed overwhelmed at breakfast service. They way they dump the eggs and other things onto the heat trays is very unattractive, while a long line wait. The coffee and hot water at the lobby isn't always hot enough. Parking at $14 for a Hampton is way too much. It should be free. Front desk staff is attentive. The room rates often at $140 is way too high for a Hampton given the quality of this particular one. It is still one of the best choices for University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn University Center when you travel to the Pittsburgh area. I am proud to hear you say that you found our rooms clean and fine and our front desk staff very attentive. I am sorry that our breakfast area was a little tight and food did not live up to your expectations. Your response is greatly appreciated and gives us the opportunity to improve for our future guests and your next visit to the area. I understand that a large majority of Hampton Inn hotels do not have a parking charge though in our market we offer the lowest; we also feature our complimentary shuttle that can travel a 3 mile radius of the hotel and also pick you up upon request. Once again I would like to thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn University Center and consider us for your next trip to Pittsburgh.
We Love Having You Here