“Great Hotel, especially when visiting University of Pittsburgh”

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Philadelphia, Pa
“Great Hotel, especially when visiting University of Pittsburgh”
Reviewed February 23, 2009

The price and location are great when visiting schools in Pittsburgh.
I found the Hampton Inn to be the best price, rooms with queen beds, free breakfast, shuttle service available to the universities.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Montreal
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I stayed at the Hampton one night. I was looking for a hotel near the university and hospital as I had a meeting there. The stay was great. The staff was friendly and efficient. My room was on the eight floor, very clean and quiet. High speed internet comes with a password that they give you at your check-in. It was very easy to use and the connection was fine. The only thing that could be less convenient for some people is the location of teh entrance, it is not easy to access on teh one way street, but if you come by taxi, it shoudl not be a problem. I woudl definitely stay there again.

• Liked — the quietness
  • Disliked — the entrance that is hard to acess
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed December 15, 2008

We drove from North Carolina to Pittsburg to see Neil Diamond because he was not coming to our area. The concert was fabulous, but the hotel was a bad experience. It looks like a very bad part of town and there were lots of abandoned buildings. Our room was smaller than a Microtel room and cost $159. We had to pay $14 to park our car (over and above the $159), but when we returned from the concert around 11:30 pm, there were no parking places. We circled a while and finally an employee came outside and told us to go to their parking lot ACROSS THE STREET (which was actually a lot farther than it sounds)!!!! Can you believe it ??? I would be embarrassed to charge a nickle for someone to park when they have already paid a fortune for a tiny room, especially when there are not enough parking spots near the hotel entrance. On the good side, the lady at the desk was very nice on check-in, but when I wrote and complained to Hampton, I got no response.

• Liked — breakfast was larger than usual, but not better tasting
  • Disliked — small room and parking problems
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Writing to say that my stay this past August at the Hampton Inn Pitts-
burgh University Center was one of the best hotel stays in my many
years of travel around the world. I will elaborate shortly, but I would
like to say that I was apprehensive at reserving a room at this hotel due to the many negative reviews. However these concerns were to-
tally unfounded as I discovered when i arrived. To be honest, some of them were ludicrous to say the least especially in regard to the neighborhood.Oakland (area in question) is where Pittsburgh's best universities and hospitals are located. As such, there is plenty of foot and vehicular traffic and all sorts of restaurants and businesses at all normal hours of day and night assuming one does not decide to go out for a midnight or early-morning stroll!Some reviewers wrote of poilce sirens, loud music etc. - well, in a big city you will hear these things, but where thet hotel is located, it is very quiet in my opinion. One wrote of a helicopter scaring him or her. I asked about this and was told that this was the helicopter is owned by Presby- terian Hospital which landed on its roof every few minutes but should not be a constant disturbance (it wasn't). Lastly, others wrote about the lack of restaurants and only a Panera Bread in the area (which I also visited). Now, I don't know this person's taste, but on Forbes Avenue (and some side streets) all the way down to the University of Pittsburgh campus there are more affordable and welcomnig restaurants of all kinds (as well as a few upscale ones) than I could count. I heartily recommend Primanti Bros. for some of the best and biggest sandwiches you'll ever have (I won't give them away) - also Joe Mama for great Italian.

Now, about the hotel itself. First of all, the staff was terrific and above and beyond the call of duty all the way. The shuttle drivers -
Paul, Raymond and another whose name unfortunately escapes me (he worked the front desk) and Stephanie at reception who checked me in are particularly praseworthy fro their efforts to do whatever
they could at any time to accomodate my needs esp. with getting
around town and with sightseeing and restaurant suggestions. An
A+ to them all. Incidentally, the shuttle operates within a three-mile radius and runs once every hour on the hour - if one plans for this it should not be an issue. This allows one to visit most of downtown as well as the University area. the South Side, Shadyside and Sqirrel Hill, all great for sightseeing, shopping eating and exploring.

My very comfortable room was a knig with sofabed which was pris- tine, very spacious and with literally dreamy beds and pillows with a luxurious duvet. I wanted to take it all home with me! The flatscreen TV' and lapdesk were also a nice bonus. The room, while overlook- ing the parking lot also afforded a great view of downtown Pitts- burgh. The bathroom was equally well furnished with a great shower and water flow. Housekeeping was also flawless attending to all details of my room in a timely manner every day - no complaints whatsoever. The included breakfast had enough choices so as not to be boring. There were two hot items each morning (rotated throughout the week) along with cereals, muffins, croissants, do- nuts, fruit salad, bananas, waffles, juice, as well as coffee and tea 24/7. It was all replenished in a timely manner as necessary. For those for whom the breakfast was not suitable fro whatever reason, there are several fast-food places and diners within a short walk or drive on Forbes Avenue.

In closing, I had a great time at this Hampton and would unhesitating-
ly stay there again and recommend it to others first and foremost because of the service and the shuttle (rare in Pittsburgh hotels) but also because of the hotel's comfort factor, location and free break- fast and internet access in the lobby and guetsrooms. Did I also mention the fitness center? Such negative reviews as I alluded to
should be read, but if innaccurate can damage the reputation of a
hotel such as this before one has a chance to try it out.This was my
first stay in Hampton Inn, would certainly consider them wherever my
travels may take me. Hopefully you will give the Hampton Pittsburgh
University Center a try, and I hopr you have the same experience
that I did - I am sure you will!

• Liked — Service from staff, Shuttle, included breakfast and internet, room comfort
  • Disliked — If shuttle were not avalable, one would need car or public tran to get around
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank intrepidtrav
lancaster
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My husband ,2 children(5years and 2 years),and myself stayed at the Hampton Inn and were very happy with our entire stay. The service was above expectations. Very friendly staff, especially Tracy. The breakfast was more than enough to fill everyone, we went down one morning at 8:00 the next morning around 9:00 and everything was still full or getting refilled.The hot food one morning was eggs and sausage the next morning was french toast and kiebasa. We also felt very safe and secure staying there, lots of restaurants are within walking distance but we also enjoyed the convience of the shuttle. I am a traveler that always carries the lysol wipes and spray to do a wipe down of the room when we arrive but didn't feel it was necessary here.We have already recommended this motel to an uncle who has a daughter going to PITT. We will definetly be returning.

• Liked — The friendly and helpful staff, cleaniness of the room.
  • Disliked — No pool, but in Pittsburgh theres so much to do we probably wouldn't have used it anyways.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank dooneking
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Booked the hotel after reading the reviews here, great hotel, rooms were a little small but the bedding was great, all very clean, great breakfest and the shuttle service was excellent.
no problem at all walking around the hotel even though it looks very industrial but it is right next to major hospitals and the university.
only problem we had was with the taxi service, we were without a car and had to get to a location that was outside of the shuttle range and we waited for nearly an hour for a cab, the hotel staff kept trying to hurry them up and they claim that the only taxi service is located at the airport which explains the long wait????

anyway, if you need a cab call ahead!!

aside from that a great stay and will certainly stay there next time around

• Liked — shuttle service and hot buffet
  • Disliked — rooms were a little small
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank eagle132
albuquerque
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Good location for visiting Univ of Pitt. Walking distance to the University. We drove over to "The Waterfront" for dinner at Cheesecake Factory. Clean, convenient, no complaints, except that for the $14 daily parking rate, we had to search for a parking spot a couple of times.

Stayed June 2008