“Phillies Weekend Road Trip”

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at Hampton Inn University Center. The rooms were comfortable, the breakfast was great and the shuttle was so convenient for getting around town. Rick and Tracey the shuttle drivers couldn't have been nicer and patient in getting us to our drop offs and picking up was just a phone call away.
Would surely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Matt M, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you, Pat D for your thoughtful review of our hotel. I am happy to read your room was up to your standards and that our complimentary breakfast was enjoyable. Rick and Tracey are our wonderful Shuttle drivers and they do a great job accommodating our guests’ needs. We cannot wait for your next visit!

Best regards,
Assistant GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My son and I came to Pittsburgh for a Pirates/Dodgers game and stayed just one night. The room was clean, the staff, at the front desk, very considerate and while the parking is not plentiful, it was free. We enjoyed the cookies at check-in and then the nice continental breakfast this morning. As I said the room was clean and the beds comfortable and the only complaint that I have is the musty/dirty foot smell of the hallway and room. It seemed that the smell was coming from the air conditioning unit, in the room, and from the bathroom after showers were taken. Perhaps a thorough cleaning and airing out of the rooms and hallways are in order?

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you Deb_09052013 for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read that our hotel was just right for your needs when visiting Pittsburgh and attending a Pirates game. I'm happy to read that the room was clean to your liking but will certainly look into the room and HVAC system to ensure top quality experiences. We look forward to your next stay with us in the Pittsburgh area.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I arrived at this hotel and were told that our reservation was for a smoking room. I politely informed the lady at the front desk that this was a mistake and she acted as if it was my fault! On top of that, the hotel was sold out that night and we were unable to switch rooms. She then proceeded to tell me the employee's name who made the reservation as if that would make the situation better. What she failed to realize is that I didn't care who made the mistake, I just wanted the problem fixed or at least offered a discount and neither occured. No offer for a discount on the room or free parking. Just a "sorry 'bout your luck and enjoy your smoke filled room". We had to wash our entire suitcase regardless of whether we wore the clothes and we could barely sleep because it smelled so bad. I would stay somewhere else where smoking rooms aren't even an option. Seriously, what respectable establishment has smoking rooms anymore? AVOID!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Jordan thank you for your most recent stay here and your review about the stay on Trip Advisor. We’re are very sorry about the poor level of service you have experienced during your stay and understand your current feelings towards our establishment. We will improve on this review and make sure that our staff is properly trained on how to better handle this situation. I am extremely sorry about your stay can you please contact me so I can better resolve this issue.

Jonathan Zottola
412.681.1000

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here one night on a college tour for my son. This hotel is on the small side, but is convenient to University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon, Carlow and any other spot in the Oakland area. Very friendly and courteous staff, from Matt and John at check-in to the cleaner on our floor who was very apologetic for accidentally knocking on our door the next morning. Kids loved the cookies available at check-in. No pool or fitness center, but no big deal on that. Room was very clean and comfortable, breakfast was fine - typical continental assortment, those pre-made omelety type things, very good sausage - and my biggest fave, plenty of good coffee. Parking is included with the room, which is a big plus in that area. And while we didn't take advantage of it (we walked to Pitt and CMU; it was beautiful weather while we were there) the hotel takes justifiable pride in its shuttle service, offering free rides on the hour to anyplace you want to go within three miles. That is a great service - other big-city hotels should take note of that. We heard lots of other folks staying at the hotel raving about the shuttle drivers. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear RidingwithJim, we appreciate your recent review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read you enjoyed he hotel's complimentary breakfast and coffee. Thank you for noting our wonderful shuttle service that can go anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the hotel. We hope to see you soon on your next trip to Pittsburgh!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We found out on a Friday that my wife would be having surgery the following Tuesday at UPMC Presby. After checking with a few other hotels, I came across the Hampton Inn. They offered a substantial discount for my stay while my wife was in the hospital and also allowed me to add additional nights (and subsequent cancellation) without any difficulty at all. Every staff member I came across was polite and professional. They were considerate of my reason for stay and yet it was the same for all guests. It was so nice to feel like I was coming "home" each evening after being at the hospital. Thank you for everything Hampton Inn! If need be, I'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Thank you Mark R for your kind review of our hotel. I am glad that our hotel could be accommodating to your needs as your schedule changed and your need for a place to call "home" arrived. I excited to read everyone you encountered was "polite and professional." We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

If you have something to do in Oakland or even downtown, this hotel is clean and convenient. The walk to University of Pittsburgh may be longer than you expect. Be prepared to pay for parking, nearby street parking is not practical.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you Alan304 for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to see you enjoyed our convenient location everything in Oakland, Downtown, and Southside. Thank you for saying our hotel is "clean and convenient." We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My fiance and myself along with several other uncles and aunts were visiting from the UK to attend my cousins wedding and this hotel was a great value place to stay. Rooms were clean and were very reasonably quiet from traffic noise considering its location, we had no issues with getting to sleep or sleeping in. Throughout the staff were brilliantly helpful throughout and I give a special note to the shuttle drivers Rick and Tracey who were a font of knowledge and suggestions. The free...yes FREE (never met this before at a hotel)...shuttle bus ran on the hour from about 07:00 to 22:00 and ran within 3 miles radius so getting to most locations was doable with minimum walking. Nothing seemed to much of a problem for any of the staff members their attitude was exemplary. If I was to be visiting Pittsburgh again or know of anyone visiting or travelling with a stop at Pittsburgh I would recommend this hotel highly. I have stayed in more expensive (when we could afford to) hotels around the world and received a less caring/helpful service. This hotel is not to be judged by its drab modern build looks as the folks that work in it make it shine from within.

Room Tip: Try to get a room higher up the building if you feel sensitive about traffic noise, although I had a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Graham B, thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad to read you were able to take advantage of all the amenities of the hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our shuttle drivers, Rick and Trace. I appreciate your recommendation of our hotel to others and we cannot wait for your next visit with us.