“Very satisfied with the Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Maryland
“Very satisfied with the Hampton Inn”
Reviewed April 15, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for my daughter's second visit to the University of Pittsburgh after being disappointed at the high price of another local hotel. I was a little concerned because of some bad reviews here and, in particular, certain photographs of the "neighborhood" posted by another traveler, but recent reviews were encouraging so we decided to give it a try. We paid $109/night booking directly through the hotel (Pitt discount rate), which is less than half what we paid at the other place.

We were very pleased. The hotel was easy to reach on the 28X Airport Express ($2.60) -- about a 3-block walk which, even in the rain carrying luggage, was not too bad. The front desk staff, especially James, were always friendly and helpful. We had a king room with a sleep sofa on the 6th floor (had asked for 2 doubles, but the hotel was completely booked when we made reservations and when we checked in). The bed was exceptionally comfortable, the bedding luxurious, nice flat screen TV, desk and nicely appointed bathroom. Although the place was packed, our room was very quiet and dark and we slept well each night.

The view from our window was exactly the same as in the photos posted here, but just beyond the vacant building across the street are rows of businesses, houses, and the river, with a nice view of the hills in the background (at one point I saw the most beautiful rainbow in the world from that window). The hotel abuts a little theater and is across the street from a large women's hospital, and the traffic on Forbes Avenue is constant. As two women traveling alone, we never felt unsafe (of course, we took the ordinary precautions we would take in any city), and we did a lot of walking at all times of day and night.

The free shuttle was amazing. Since we had seen the school already and only wanted to do a couple hours of the planned program there, we came this time to get a sense of the city and we used the shuttle to get us all over town. The drivers, particularly Raymond, Paul, and Susan (I may have her name wrong), went out of their way to get us where we wanted to go, when we wanted to get there, and to point out Pittsburgh sights along the way. We got to the theatre district Friday night (saw "The Big Bang," one of the funniest shows I've ever seen in my life and excellently done), shopped at the strip early Saturday morning (awesome, awesome, awesome), saw the Bodies exhibit and an Imax show Saturday afternoon (these were by cab, since they were out of the 3-mle range), and ate at Abay, an Ethiopian restaurant in Shadyside, on Saturday night. The hotel staff helped us find and get to all of these places, which was particularly appreciated because we didn't know the city at all.

The breakfast is another nice benefit. Hot food each morning, cereal, yoghurt, fresh fruit, and a decent tea and coffee bar set up all day. It was pretty crowded, but there seemed to be enough seats to go around and it was remarkably quiet given the number of guests in one place. Also, there are about a million restaurants nearby. Forbes Avenue has just about every ethnic cuisine you could imagine, all reasonably priced, as well as the typical college pubs and the infamous "O"s hot dog place. We re-visited a lovely tea house and ate noodles at a small Chinese place. There didn't appear to be any fancy restaurants in the neighborhood, but we were happy with what was available.

There is a computer and printer set up in the lobby, which we were always able to access when we wanted them. This was great for researching shows, checking in for our flight home, and, for my daughter, keeping contact with friends.

My only concern was the distance of the hotel from the university. It's a decent walk, at least 6 long blocks from the Cathedral of Learning (and farther, still, to Carnegie Mellon). We didn't have any problem because we both like to walk, but I would caution visitors to the schools to bring good walking shoes. As far as I can tell, there are only two hotels that are closer -- the Westin and the Holiday Inn Express.

All in all, we had a great stay at the Hampton Inn. Since our daughter will be going to Pitt in the fall, I plan to stay there often. I would recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Liked — Location by the universities
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Jersey City
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Hi all, this is a simple hotel, but it has everything you really need -GREAT new BEDS you will fall in love with, clean room, lots of towels, very nice breakfast - fresh fruit salad, youghurts, fruit juices, and lots of other different stuff, you also have fresh apples and bananas available whenever you need - at the reception, as well as coffee and tea. I think for the price I payed I got really everything. I booked my room through the hotel's website as that was the cheapest option when compared to the other sites. There also is a gym. I absolutely recommend this hotel. I would return back. It's not a first-class 5-star hotel, but it's very cozy, quite, nice, and you will love it.

• Liked — great bed
  • Disliked — I loved everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2008

This hampton is fairly standard in what you have come to expect in this chain. However, the service is above average - they have a free shuttle service that will take you to local restaurants, even including pick up.

There is some construction going on in the area that can make it hard to get to at times.

Stayed January 2008
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I stayed at this property for 20 days in Nov-Dec 2007while my husband was in the hospital. I found the entire hotel staff to be friendly, helpful, accommodating and compassionate! The room was clean upon check in, and cleaned daily.

We stayed there again recently for 3 nights. Again, absolutely no complaints! Highly recommend this property.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank FOBO
Chapel Hill
Reviewed January 29, 2008

With the amount of travel I do, I have frequented quite a few hotels in the Pittsburgh area. The Hampton Inn, University Center, is my number one choice everytime. Whether I stay for one night, or 3-4 days at a time, my experience has always been the same - terrific. The free breakfast is always appreciated, the internet connection is strong, the staff is helpful and friendly, and the hotel is near all the major universities in Pittsburgh. Thank you for making my travels for work enjoyable!

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank UniversityDirectory
Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 25, 2007

I stayed there for a week in August. This was the week college was starting and was the busiest time of the year for them but the staff was excellent and everything about the place was great.
The manager was really helpful and I highly recommend this place to everyone

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank roversam
North East USA
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Not only is this hotel in a questionalble area of town, the front desk staff's attitude mirrors the surroundings, total disgrace! Please do not stay here. My experience is that I checked into a room on the 3rd floor and glanced out my window. This area of town is not safe to be in. There is grafitti on the neighboring buildings which are not upkept. Street lights are dim, police cars patrol the area with sirens, and cars pull up to the street light playing heavy bass music. After 90 minutes upon arrival I decided to check out and move to another hotel away from this area. One partcular man on duty that night insulted me and questioned my reasoning for not feeling safe. He did not honor their 100% satisfaction guarantee and billed my charge card for the full price, telling me that he hopes never to see me there again and told me that I should have looked at the hotels pictures before making my reservation. This hotel is not worth my money, nor yours. Avoid at all costs.

• Liked — The toilet flushed
  • Disliked — The location, the front desk staff, the safety
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business