Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Cochranton
“oakland”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

the room was clean enough. the air condition unit was a bit loud. this lot was hard to get in and out of. and there is no where else to park, so i was not happy that they charged for parking. what a rip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for placing a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are sorry you had a hard time getting in and out of the parking lot. We actually do have a 2nd lot directly in front of our hotel. This is where our large vehicles such as box trucks, buses, trailers, etc park. It is much easier to maneuver and has no 9' clearance as the other lot that is attached to the hotel has. Unfortunately we do charge for parking but we are one of the more reasonable priced parking rates here in Oakland. I'm happy that you found the room comfortable and I'm sorry if the air conditioner unit was louder then you liked. We appreciate your comments and would love to have you stay with us again.
Jonathan Zottola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Pittsford, NY
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My son and I stayed at this hotel during our college visit to Carnegie Mellon and University of Pittsburgh. The hotel is within walking distance to Pitt (15 minutes) and is very convenient overall.
The rooms are typical Hampton Inn - roomy, clean, affordable. The free breakfast was fine, even for a 17-year-old. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. We did not have a chance to use the fitness and/or business centers and cannot comment. Parking was tight - I think we took the last spot, but our Yukon XL still fit!
I recommend this hotel highly when visiting Pitt, especially if you are able to walk moderate distances. If you're not a walker, the everything is an easy drive.

Room Tip: We were in room 714, which had a great view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike M
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I'm happy to hear you found us a good location for visiting the universities and that you found your room comfortable. We were just mentioned in the USA Today from the Business Travel Section of the Sept 11 edition from a guest who is a frequent traveler. It was quite an honor and we hope you received the same quality & service as well. We hope to see you when in town again!
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here one night when dropping my son off at Pitt. As some of the other reviews have indicated, it's not the nicest part of town, but it's fine and my very close to Pitt. The hotel staff were very friendly and the breakfast buffet in the morning was good (a bit crowded the day I was there because lots of other families were also in town dropping off). Others have noted that parking is $14, which was true. On the other hand, I stayed here because it was almost $100 cheaper for the night than anything else I could find (using my AAA discount). So, even with the parking, it was a lot cheaper than elsewhere. Also, I've stayed in a lot of hotels on business that were way more expensive but the room here was just as nice. Ok, so I guess I have to say something on the downside -- no pay per view movies (only HBO) if you need that for kids.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you found us a good location for the university and we were a good value for your needs. I'm happy to hear you thought your room was nice and even though breakfast was crowded, you were able to enjoy it along with our other amenities. I'm sorry we did not have pay movies for you but are thrilled you pointed out the positive comments on what we do offer. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for choosing our hotel and thank you for placing your review.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed here at the half-way point on a road-trip with my two small dogs. The staff members were friendly and the room was nicely appointed and well-kept, though a bit small. The hotel is convenient to the university campus, and the neighborhood is fine for walking dogs, though there weren't too many grassy areas. It was my first time travelling with pets and everyone on the staff was very accomodating.

I also recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, just a few blocks away, which is comparable in rates and amenities, though it doesn't allow pets.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for placing a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was accommodating. We love to have all members of the family, including our furry friends. We have biscuits at the front desk for your next trip in should you bring your dogs again to stay. I'm very glad to hear we were a convenient location for you and hope to see you again soon!
NJ
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel was a couple of miles away from the University of Pittsburgh. It isn't in the nicest area of town but it was convenient and close to Pitt where we were visiting. The hotel has a free shuttle to take you anywhere within about 2 miles. We checked into the hotel and we were in the room within a few minutes. The hotel was nice and the free breakfast was typical for a Hampton. Nothing special but not bad. Our room was relatively large and the bathroom was very spacious and clean. The one drawback with this hotel was it cost $14 to park our car in their lot. The lot appeared to be safe and well lit. We didn't have any problems with our room or the hotel. The shuttle was very nice since we didn't have to worry about parking in the city. I would stay in this hotel again if we are in the area again.

1 Thank David K
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and will use us again when you are in town. I'm happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our free shuttle service that goes within 3 miles of our hotel. We are actually located less then 1 mile from the University of Pittsburgh. Although we do have a parking charge, we are one of the most reasonably priced at $14. We are thrilled you found your room a nice size and we hope to see you again soon.
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here for almost two weeks while son at UPMC. Did not have to pay for parking. Received a discount. Staff worked with me to continue to extend my stay since we never knew how long we would be there. They also arranged a late checkout the day I left. The shuttle was great. I used it on rainy days to go to hospital. Very convenient location. Blocks from hospital, food and shopping. Nice selection for free breakfast and also bag breakfast upon request. Cleaning staff was excellent. Front desk staff fantastic, kind and helpful. Several different kinds of coffee and tea available 24 hours. Fruit in lobby.

• Stayed July 2012
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I'm so happy to hear you had a great stay during your time with us. We are so happy we were able to accommodate you while your son was in the hospital. We send our best wishes to you & your family and hope all is going well. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our amenities and enjoyed the shuttle, breakfast, & coffee bar and found your room clean. If you are in town again, we hope to see you again!
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2012

After multiple nights at different Hampton Inns, this one had the smallest hotel rooms ever, and a $14 fee to park. They did have a shuttle that would take you anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel. They also had a "manager's reception" with cookies, pretzels and beer.
They also had reserved spots for Hilton Diamond members which took up at least 4 of the spaces in the lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. Since we are a city hotel, we do charge for parking but we are actually one of the most reasonably priced parking fees at the city hotels. I apologize if you found the room too small for your needs. I am happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our amenities and host hour. I hope if you are in town again, you will once again consider using our hotel for your accommodation needs.