“Bugs and Bad Service”

Ranked #57 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Novi, Michigan
“Bugs and Bad Service”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

The Holiday Inn on Micknight road, is difficult to get to. You can’t just turn into it, but rather loop around in a parking lot on a road with no turn arounds. My GPS kept going off, and I didn’t see a sign to get to it. Here is your hint: The road to the entrance is behind the Chipotle.

Going up the large hill to get to it, you will think it is the beginning of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. They should have just torn it down and redid the whole hotel in the midst of their renovations. It looks pretty scary at night, especially sitting on top of a hill. Once you park and come inside, rest assured, everything has all been redone. Everything appears modern with current fixtures and flat screens.

My check in went smoothly, and I was relived that it was nicer on the inside than on the outside. Once inside my room, I was pleased. The room was clean, groomed and modern. My room, 509, even had a view of the landscape, which was nice. The down side was a really outdated box TV with a very blurry picture. If you are used to HDTV at home, you might want to pass on TV watching all together in your room and stick to your laptop. I was pleased to also see that rooms came with a fridge and a microwave. This was good news to me because I am a “calorie watcher” and usually bring home / reheat leftovers the next day.

I enjoyed a warm shower the following morning with Bath and Body products in my favorite scent. I also liked that this hotel provides you with a makeup wipe, mouthwash, good shampoo and conditioner.

The trip more or less went downhill from here. I came downstairs to catch my ride with a colleague, but not before I had breakfast. I stopped into the restaurant that is also redone and stood waiting…and waiting…and waiting. It was morning, and I only had a finite amount of time to eat before I had to leave. I flipped through a menu at the hostess stand, and no one came. I walked through the restaurant hoping I could flag down a waitress. There were 2 people in there looking zoned out, and sipping coffee. I continued to search for anything that resembled a worker. Nothing.

Irritated beyond measure and now running too short on time to complain, wait for staff, get served, and be on my way, I relegated myself to a Fiber One bar in my bag. I was pissed. I needed egg whites and toast to start my day off, but figured…it’s the Holiday Inn. What do you think you are going to get here? Service?

That night when I returned, I was pleased that there was the aforementioned Chipotle nearby. All organic fast food nearby was a definite plus. I enjoyed my organic meal in my room too unwind from a long day. That is when things went further downhill. Bugs. No, not just 1. 5 of them. They kept coming into my room from the vent system that controlled the air. I killed them each, one at a time, and flushed them down the toilet. Disgusting. I was too tired to call the front desk to complain. I needed sleep. Just then, one of them landed in my bed, on top of me. I wanted to SCREAM. I was so disgusted. I killed the thing, flushed it down the toilet and resolved myself to complain in the morning on my way out.

Once morning, more bugs had arrived. I went down to the front desk to tell the worker. Now, I would have expected a very apologetic response. Nope. She merely said that she would have maintenance check on it to see if they could do anything, but there was probably not a lot they could do. Another worker piped up, “Oh stink bugs? Yeah, you need to flush those down the toilet.” I’m sorry. Was I magically just transported to Africa? I did NOT sign up for a room with BUGS all over! Now, I am being instructed on how I am supposed to manage the bugs in my room that is $100 a night? Absurd. I had to go to work, but thought this was pretty crazy. I didn’t return back until around 10 PM to….you guessed it…more bugs. Wow. Maintenance had really outdone themselves with getting rid of them. As if that weren’t disgusting enough, the microwave in my room didn’t work. UGH! THIS PLACE!

I was happy to be checking out and getting the hell out of the there the following morning when…umm…more bugs. I decided to take some pictures of them as proof of their existence, since no one on staff seemed to care at all. Upon check out, I was asked how my stay was and responded about the bugs. She just said there is nothing they can do, this is a problem in Pittsburgh, and have a nice day. Oh.My.God. Revolting service and revolting BUGS. After 2 complaints, and when they were unable to resolve the problem, not even the gesture of a coupon, or a free night. Absolutely disgusting.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I've had the great misfortune of staying at your hotel for five days.
I will go through each of my points one by one both good and bad. My reservation was made under my bosses name brian sokaski it was from 8-22-10 to8-27-10 room 320.when I arrived,the young lady at the dsk was as nice as nice can be however when i got to my room the sheets on one bed were dirty and the pillows on the other smelled like sweat as if the room had just been vacated and cleaning didn't bother changing linnens. The towels in the bathroom were dingy the ventalation in the bathroom did not work . the next day. When i returned from work the same sheets were on the bed. The room had not been vacumed and on top of that no toilet paper. my linnens did not get changed until thursday by a nice hispanic lady lucky for me it was her turn on my floor.
the resturant what can i say great I repeat great food,but the service I don't think I've ever been snubbed that much the waitress would look at me as if I had no right to be there.
at first i thought maybe she was having a bad day,but the next day more of the same on the next day I prefered taco bell. however thursday the waitress was different and even though she was pregnant she was an absolute dream. however one good day does not excuse all the others
I will never ever stay at your hotel again and will be recomending to my boss never to book at this hotel again.
SINCERALY BENJAMIN STILES
benmarstiles@aol.com
216-258-5536

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank benjamin035
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this property for three nights with the Buckner family from South Carolina in early August.  Despite some complaints of there not being enough refrigerators for all of  rooms on the fourth floor and the lack of enough towels in the rooms,  everything at the hotel seemed perfect from the very beginning. The two ladies that worked at the front desk were knowledgable, friendly, and helpful in attending to all of the groups needs and requests.  The room that I stayed in (415) was very clean, with the one exception of a smear on the flat panel TV where someone had obviously attempted to clean it with water or some other liquid. Though I did not utilize the pool or weight room during my stay, the group did utilize the banquet room during their final night at the hotel.  The banquet room was large enough to comfortably accommodate the several hundred people that were in attendance for the family reunion. Next door to the hotel is a Target, Kohls, Staples, Walgreens, and McDonalds.  Within a couple of miles is the Ross Park Mall and other shopping plazas to accommodate every shopping need. On Friday night, we attended a Pirates game at PNC field, adjacent to Heinz field and the Rivers Casino, approximately a ten minute ride from the hotel. The only negative that I experienced is the hill that the hotel sits atop of.  If you leave the hotel to go to McDonalds (or any other establishment) at the bottom of the hill, it is better to drive than walk. After climbing the hill during our first night there, I was completely out of breathe.

• Stayed August 2010
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I thought Holiday Inns are nice. This one not so much. Seems like they hire people with no hotel experience. When I asked most said things like they keep replacing managers and staff. It showed. Felt somewhat uncomfortable because it seemed like no one wanted to be working their. Room was okay, but that is about it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank 1600Penn
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I haven't have any issue with this hotel, lots to place to eat around, the city is amazing...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
youngnelle, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience while staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hope to see you return in the future.
Chicago
Reviewed March 11, 2010

This Holiday Inn was FANTASTIC! The staff was very personable, professional, and they helped me with anything I requested. The rooms were clean, the food was fantastic, and the customer service was out of this world! This Holiday Inn is 5-8 minutes from downtown, and it's close to a mall that had lots of stores. Great Experience!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Ohio
Reviewed January 27, 2010

I traveled with a large basketball group the weekend of Jan. 22-24, 2010. The check in was a complete disaster as the two working had no idea what to do. She was extremely argumentative with us and was completely unprepared for a large group such as ours. This trip was booked several months in advance, so it would seem that they should have been better prepared. The elevators were not working properly as many in our group were stuck for well over 20 minutes or more. Several mothers in the group were appalled at the lack of cleanliness throughout the hotel. We were promised a room in which our kids could meet in and have pizza, but again,the girl behind the desk said absolutely not and made the entire group eat in the lobby of the hotel...which was freezing!! At check-out, there was only one person at the desk and although it was VERY slow going, she did try her best and was the only person we encountered that was remotely pleasant. We will not ever book here again!!

• Stayed January 2010
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns about your stay and I do apologize for the challenges you encountered. Since then, we have restaffed our front desk, housekeeping, and sales departments. I can certainly understand your frustration in relation to the lack of communication between our departments in relevance to the meeting room, our prior unprepared status, and overall experience of our hotel.

I would like to reassure you that we now have everything organized and up to par in these departents due to new staffing and management. I do hope you allow the hotel another opportunity to regain your trust, as your experience is certainly not the norm.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Comfort Inn
#39 of 70 in Pittsburgh
Coraopolis
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
#56 of 70 in Pittsburgh

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight? Share your experiences!