La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight
Ranked #61 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel remains middle-of-the road. We have stayed here several times during the past few years and although it is improving, it still has a distance to go before it can be considered "beyond average". Because the location is convenient to meet our needs, we continue to give it another try. We intend to keep exploring our options as this HI is not our first choice. The beds are clean and comfortable and the staff is friendly but most aspects of the room are in need of updating and/or repair. On several of our visits we've had to ask for a room change because the room initially assigned to us has been unacceptable due to plumbing issues, stained furniture, or problematic heating systems. We'd like to offer a better review, but for now mediocre is the best we can say.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph G, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

We appreciate your honest feedback. We're glad you continue to choose us and are pleased to hear good reviews on our staff. As for your concerns with the rooms, we are actively working to update and fix all concerns with our rooms. We are in the process of updating our bathrooms and working on heating repairs. We don't just want you to choose us because its most convenient, we want you to enthusiastically choose our hotel because you love the rooms and the service. We will continue to work on offering you excellent customer service and rooms that are crisp, clean and ready to be relaxed in. We hope you continue to stay with us and give us the opportunity to serve you.

Joey Messer

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The 1 night stay was a decent price. Some renovations were done and upgrades were done. BUT... Why is the heater right next to the bed, blowing the hot air directly to your face? Why is there no soap holder in the shower? Rearranging the beds and some minor cosmetic fixes will make this hotel stay better.

Room Tip: Make sure to turn in at McD's for the entrance to the hotel.
1  Thank FatherofIssac
Joseph G, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and recognizing that we are working hard to upgrade the hotel. I apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory due to the heater placement and soap holder. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable comments as this is our best resource of improving guest satisfaction. We hope that you can give us another chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family and I have stayed here a lot of times and I must say that the staff is now good! In the past we have had issues but it seems to have changed with the newer management. Our most recent stay was great-no housekeeping issues, no front desk issues, no breakfast issues. Just the way it should be. Florray at the front desk could not be more helpful, and Jen in the breakfast area is awesome. We will definitely come back!
P.S. To those of you not familiar with the area, turn at the light by Staples to access the hotel. (Local laws don't allow a sign on McKnight Road according to some employees.)

Room Tip: Corner rooms generally are larger.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Joseph G, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for the positive review! This is exactly what we strive for here, and could not be any more happy that your recent stay went well. I'm also pleased that you have noticed the changes we have made. The new management here takes customer service very seriously, and as you have noticed, things are moving in the right direction. I have passed on the kind words to both Florray and Jen, and they both would like to thank you as well. Once again, thanks for the great review, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I can't even begin to list everything wrong with our experience at this hotel. We used it as a wedding block because it's THE ONLY PLACE CLOSE, but I will admit I was embarrassed to ask people to stay there, its' my fault. It started with their insane turn around time with employees (I can see why now), people starting our reservation process then leaving the company and losing our information. We asked for a honeymoon suite, and didn't get it because the reservation wasn't processed THEN it was filled with other people. The newest group sales girl, Jennifer, did nothing to help us. The employees are dunces who cannot communicate with eachvother. We had to pay $100 to keep the bar open despite making the request months ahead and being told by three people it would stay open on a Friday night. They money was to be refunded after a certain amount of sales, but it wasn't and we had to call to fix things. The wrong credit cards were charged for multiple rooms, despite the owner of the credit card who waned to accept charges being present and saying such. The bartender was also terrible and left me and my husband with all the bar tabs she failed to collect, but she did tell us one person tried to pay but she just handed him back his credit card. There is no continental breakfast, but a restaurant with ONE server on a Saturday morning. It took 2 hours to eat terrible food. I mean, I am not fancy and I'll eat almost everything but this was BAD. They had a buffet that sat out all morning and was barely warm. The yogurt that sat out all morning was sour and not covered in individual containers. I hope no one, ever, has to go to this hotel. Amenities were average at best, but don't bother asking for more towels from the front desk even when you know room service is on your floor. They won't bother to help you. Oh, and check in is at 4? I was like, are you serious? I know I am missing things, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EmilyAshy

I would like to extend an apology from everyone here for your recent stay with us. We do not like receiving these types of reviews, and we take them very seriously. It's true that we have had some turnover in the past few months, but that is no excuse for the issues you experienced. I will personally talk with our restaurant and bar staff to see what went wrong, and how we can improve things for future guests. As for the sales department, we now have new leaders in those positons, who are much more professional, and have been communicating with other departments very well. Again, still no excuse for the issues you experienced, but I can assure you that the new management team here is doing everything in our power to prevent future problems arrising from miscommunication and employee turnover. I'm deeply sorry that we failed you, especially during such an important occasion. We are getting better by the day, and I hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Thank you for your honest review, it's the only way we will know what we need to improve on, and we hope that what we failed on doesn't keep you away from seeing all that we are improving on. Once again, we apologize you had a bad experience with us, and we hope to see you again in the future...

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Comming to Pittsburgh on a football Monday might not have been the smartest thing to do. Seemed like all my fav hotels were booked so I Hotwired and wound up here. When I checked in I was told all they had left was a handicapped room. I tried to reason with the evening manager, waste of breath. Even you gold status did not help. I guess the hotwire purchase ment she could screw me over. What the heck one night , right. In the morning I turned on the shower and got water right in the face. seems the adjustable shower was leaking in several places, would not stay up and soaked the whole bath area all my travel kit items.

Breakfast, green tea please, oh we don't have that. So i went to the Mc D's in the parking lot.

Avoid this place at all cost.

Room Tip: Pay directly and don't Hotwire, you will be a 2nd class customer.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Walt V
Joseph G, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

I would like to apologize for your stay with us. It's disappointing to know that we did not live up to your expectations. Under no circumstances should you ever feel like you are a second class customer, irregardless of who you booked through. We strive to treat EVERY guest as Platinum members, and I'm very upset that one of our managers didn't live up to this expectation. I will check with maintenance to see why this shower was not checked before you arrived, and we will work to ensure this does not happen to a fututre guest. Once again, I apologize on behalf of everyone here, and if you give us another chance, we will do anything and everyting we can to make sure this isn't a hotel you avoid. Thank you for the honest review, and please come back and see us again!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We have stayed at this Holiday Inn numerous times over the years because it is close to where we need to go in Pittsburgh. It truly needs some TLC. Our room was missing the bathroom mirror on the back of the door. How long could it take to glue a $10 mirror on the door? As one reviewer stated the electrical outlets won't hold plugs. The heater leaked water on the carpet. The shining stars of this property are the desk staff who are very helpful and the maid who cleaned our room. Although our room had a very worn look, it was clean. And since we've been staying here, there has NEVER been a well marked entrance to find a way up the hill to the property. I love Holiday Inns but I think it's time for a change from this one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Luv2readPa

Thank you for the honest review! I apologize for the maintenance issues you had in your room. I will personally check with maintenance to see what went wrong, and how we can ensure that these type of problems are checked BEFORE we have a guest tell us. I can tell you that we are doing as much as we can to get these type of issues, along with others, rectified as soon as possible so that future guests aren't disappointed in us. Thank you for the kind words about our desk staff, they will definitely enjoy hearing the good remarks, and the same goes for housekeeping. Once again, I apologize for condition of your room, and we will strive to make it better. We defintely don't want you to make a change from us, and will ensure that your next (hopeful) stay goes as well as you expect. Thank you for the review, and we really hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

upon arriving at hotel seen only three handicap parking spots. checked in went to room. wife had surgery in after noon at upmc. returned to room and turned on the heat didnt tv didnt internet didnt work..maintanace came and could not fix. moved to room 326 refrigaratordi did not work heater blew cold air for 2 minutes chair at desk was broken. call mr kitts he called me back left voice mail called him back 2 days in a roe still no response.need some relief.

3  Thank sgtjohn932

I would like to apologize for your nightmare stay with us. It's disappointing to know we have failed you, especially in your time of need regarding your wifes surgery. (I hope the surgery went well!) I'm extremely dissatisfied with the way issues in your room were handled, and I will be personally checking with maintenance and front desk staffs to see what went wrong, and where we can improve. Although the damage has already been done, I do want to ensure you that we are currently working on bringing this hotel, especially the guest rooms, up to our guests standards. I sincerely apologize on behalf of everyone here, and hopefully next time we have you stay with us, the nightmare becomes a dream. Thank you for the honest review, and we hope to have you stay with us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - Mcknight Rd.
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North/McCandless
8 mi away
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Greentree
La Quinta Inn Pittsburgh Airport
Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh / McCandless, PA
7 mi away
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight? Share your experiences!