“Slightly older hotel, great staff”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight
Ranked #57 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Wilmette, Illinois
“Slightly older hotel, great staff”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn on McKnight Road for 2 nights to attend a class reunion. Here are the pros: The staff is professional, attentive and kind. Kudos to the staff. Our room was clean and the shower was very nice. The hotel is located close to a nice Target and we used it to buy bottled water and a few things we had left behind.

Unfortunately, there are a few cons. The first is that this is an older hotel which has been updated somewhat. Our bed had evidently been moved but the pictures above the bed had been left "off center" to match the original bed placement. We actually found this rather funny. What wasn't funny was the quality of the buffet at the reunion banquet. There was a cash bar and we paid $60 per person to cover the buffet, banquet room and a DJ. The meal was so disappointing that my husband and I left most of our food on our plates. If you need to stay in the North Hills area of Pittsburgh, this hotel is convenient and our room was very clean. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but if the buffet is any indication of food quality, I'd drive down the hill to McKnight Road and stop at one of the many chain restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wow! what a poorly run hotel. We spent one night in this dump. Upon check in, we found a large blood stain (about 12" long) on top of the white comforter. Tried to call front desk but phone was broken. Went to front desk to ask for change of room but was told no other room available and that house keeping would bring new sheets. Ten minutes later a maintenance guy shows up with a new sheet and comforter balled up under his arm. He walked in, dropped the crumpled ball on the dirty sheets and walked out! Did'nt say a word! We changed the sheets ourselves. Corridor and rooms smell terrible. Other posts appear to suggest security issues, we parked at the back door and found the lock is broken on this door and key card is not required. Manager says customer security is important but this door has been obviously broken for some time. The black mold on the washroom ceiling was an added bonus. Its too late for Me to save my family from this horrible stay, so I hope I can save Yours.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Whitbymoon
Chuck K, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns for the Holiday Inn Pittsburgh North Hotel and Conference Center. We take reviews like this very seriously. Let me apologize for the problems you had with the staff and service at our location. After taking over this facility within the last three months I have noticed numerous items that need to be addressed. Please understand that we are working hard to correct thes issues. We have replaced every department head in the building within the last 60 days and our new team is confident that the turnaround is coming for our property. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you give us another chance the next time you are in the Pittsburgh area,
Waleska, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is an older property. Very convenient to what and where we needed to go. Bed and room where clean, comfortable. For the price I felt we had good deal. Our room came with 2 queen beds free Internet, parking,flat screen TV w/HBO and a mini refrigerator. Staff very friendly and helpful especially Florray the night auditor. There was what looked like small patches of mold on the celling above the tub but, everything else was spotless. We where up for a wedding that I was in. We prearranged to have our tuxedos all ready at a place called Tuxedo Junction very close to the hotel. They are horrible, unprofessional, and expensive. If you need to rent a tuxedo I suggest you go some where else.

Room Tip: Ask for a view out the front or back.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chuck K, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank You for your kind words regarding your stay! We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. SHould you need anything, please feel free to contact me directly.

Chuck Kitts
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Had a good stay @ another HI in the area so I thought I'd try this property. The price was good but this "refreshed" hotel had physical (and managerial) chips and scars everywhere. Don't get me started, but I would NOT take my family here again. MANY little problems that added up to a BIG unpleasant stay
- At Chk-in: Missing furniture in room, Not so cleaned rooms, w/ water soaked papers on furniture, none of the room plugs worked. Damaged shower curtain hung against toilet (Ugh). Broken and leaking toilet w/ toilet paper on floor from previous tenant (2x Ugh).
- Lazy corner cutting service- 3 towels for 4 people (everyday!).
None of these problems ever addressed. The weekend manager, Mr. Hicks, "will not be in until Monday"
-The restaurant hid it's table cloth stains under the napkin settings.
-Many health violations for the Buffet. My wife's oatmeal had the strong taste of Onions. (Must have prepared the oatmeal with same utensil used to cook breakfast potatoes.)

Spent 3 nights-Couldn't wait to check out. HI corporate (the company that promises to "make it right" on their in room literature was very slow to respond. After much prodding with form email and offered Reward Points for another stay. (3x Ugh). I'll Pass on Holiday Inns in the future.

Room Tip: When the Hotel is hard to find and the Holiday Inn sign isn't even lit, take that as an omen as...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HkudLongIsland_NY
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear HkudLongIsland_NY,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Pittsburgh - North Hills, PA.

Orlando A.
Sycamore, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hardest hotel I have ever had to find! Even with GPS. Got to room near 11 PM after Pirates game. Told us we could have cot but them said no once we got there. Security guard eventually snuck one in for us! Nice guy. No breakfast Rooms were average. Older hotel it seemed.

• Stayed August 2012
Andrew S, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Holiday Inn Pittsburgh North Hotel and Conference Center. We wanted to make you aware that we have been working with Ross township to get more signage along Mcknight Road. Thank you again for letting us know and we look forward to having you at our property next time.
albuquerque, nm
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed one night here, it was not somewhere I'd stay again. I'm not picky about hotels, but from the outside and even the lobby, it looks ok. The hallways are sweltering hot, the room was musty and just old. The mattress was like sleeping on a concrete wall. Save yourself a bad nights sleep and go somewhere else!

Room Tip: It's about 25 minutes from the airport, does have a Target store and other businesses really clo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jjones22
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Jjones22,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry our hotel fell below your expectations. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last 2 1/2 years. Most recently I stayed for 2 months ( end of April 2012 - mid june 2012) because I had a sick relative in a near by hospital. I have always found the staff to be very courteous and helpful. Yes, the housekeeping could be a little better, it does not appear they vacuum along the walls or under the beds. Whenever I requested anything like towels or clean linens from the front desk, it was brought right up to my room. The night security guard always offered to help with my luggage whenever I was checking in or out, which i thought was really nice. Bill, the night desk clerk on the weekends always asked how things were and made me feel very comfortable, as did Noble, the security guard on at night. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Denise P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Denise P,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our courteous and helpful staff.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the poor housekeeping provided. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. Thank you again for your comments.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Comfort Inn
#39 of 70 in Pittsburgh
Coraopolis
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
#56 of 70 in Pittsburgh

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight? Share your experiences!