“Great character, great service”
Review of The Priory Hotel

The Priory Hotel
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Spent two separate nights at the Priory on a recent holiday weekend. The first night, I shared the large suite with my sister and the second was spent in a king room. Both experiences were excellent. The suite was huge and great value for the money. Although the king room was small, it was more than adequate. Both locations were very quiet and comfortable and clean. The building is just wonderful and they've done a great job of updating the property while keeping its historic character. Staff are friendly and helpful - the shuttle is very convenient. This was the only hotel in Pittsburgh I could find with free parking. The breakfast features pastries from the Priory's own bakery (around the corner - don't miss it) and we received a comp copy of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, which was a nice touch. I will definitely recommend the Priory to friends visiting Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: I was nervous to get a room on the main floor, off the lobby, but it was just as quiet as the one I...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent a night here after seeing a play and enjoyed everything about my stay at the Priory. The staff were welcoming, the parking was free, and the relatively small room was very clean and comfortable. The bed had plenty of pillows and the walls were practically sound-proof. The best part of this hotel was the architecture. It's a gorgeous former monastery with all sorts of strange turns and staircases. The only downside was that it's in a somewhat sketchy area, but not so bad that you can't walk alone at night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I grew up in Pittsburgh and now live in Chicago so I have watched the city I used to call home become even more exciting and interesting to visit as the years go by. On my most recent visit, I stayed at The Priory--and I only wish I had been been smart enough to stay at this incredibly stylish, elegant, wonderful gem of a hotel years ago. This former monastery has been transformed into a boutique hotel on the north side of the city, close to downtown and a few blocks away from the Warhol Museum. I felt as if I was staying in a deluxe European hotel, complete with a tiny bar where I enjoyed a really good glass of wine and a salad. Breakfast in the refectory reminded me of Amsterdam and Prague--complete with meats, cheeses, fruits and fabulous coffee. The rooms are elegant, comfortable and quiet--and mine had a wonderful view of the courtyard. I would urge travellers not to be put off by the transitional neighborhood where The Priory is located. It is quite safe and the hotel has a van that will take you, and then pick you up, to local restaurants or downtown theaters. I am so proud to be able to recommend this hotel in my former hometown. For anyone who wants to stay at a European boutique hotel rather than a chain, please book a room here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have a great view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jhartig1
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is quaint and and staff is very friendly. I stayed in a King room and the bed was extremely comfortable, I slept like a rock. The room itself was spacious and very clean. Easy access to and from the highway. The Priory also offers a complementary shuttle service, which I used, and was thankful they had it. The breakfast was delicious and the breakfast attendant was friendly and accomodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I judge a hotel by its bed and after two nights of great sleep I would definitely return here again!
The rooms are spacious, well appointed and clean for the price and in walking distance from downtown and the lovely Saturday market. Parking is more accessible than the large downtown hotels, secure but not covered.
The little bar, open from 5:00-11:00 daily is a great place to meet and connect with friends at the end of the day. The bartender has created a few great signature cocktails, try the "monktini" if your a vodka drinker!
Breakfast, although not served until 8:00 which I think is a bit late had great pastries , cold meats, cheeses, fruit and yogurt
I must admit there were a few issues, the hair dryer blew the hair off my head, the makeup mirror and iron did not work. The tv had only a few non relevant channels but I was in such a great mood after the comfy bed I couldn't bring myself to voice my concerns!

Room Tip: We were in room 125
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My first visit to PIttsburgh in many years, so I didn't know anything about the neighborhoods, desirable locations, and so forth. The Priory was a gamble that paid off. It was a breeze to find driving into town from the airport, there is a small parking lot for the hotel directly across the street from it. The hotel itself is nicely designed, looking like many "boutique" hotels inside. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and there is a shuttle service to take guests into the city from there.

I was fortunate to be upgraded to a king room (I had booked a queen). The room was fairly large, with really nice antique furnishings, a smallish bathroom with a shower stall, toilet, and sink. Everything was sparkling clean, and the giant bed with several pillows was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

There is a breakfast buffet, with some cold cuts, cheeses, assorted breads and sweets, boiled eggs, juice, coffee. I usually avoid all-you-can-eat breakfasts when I travel as they cut into my ability to test out local foods, but it was fine for that type of thing if you want it.

The intimate Monk's bar on the main floor serves good cocktails, beer, and wine, and also snacks, sandwiches, and soups. It was a nice spot to unwind after a day of work.

The area around the hotel looks a bit sketchy, and may in fact be so, but I didn't ever feel uncomfortable walking around there. There are a few bars and restaurants in the area, certainly enough to keep you well fed and lubricated if you don't want to venture across the river into downtown.

Overall a great option for staying in PIttsburgh, and excellent value for the money. Recommended, especially if, like me, you don't want to stay in a big anonymous corporate chain hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I come to Pittsburgh often to see our kids and to attend cultural and sporting events. I have always been curious about The Priory but didn't think my husband would like the B&B atmosphere. He loved it!!! The staff was friendly, the room was unique and clean, the breakfast was superb, and the cost was affordable. We had a drink at the Monk Bar. It was very cozy and we met some nice people. We definitely plan to return!

Room Tip: We had a beautiful corner room at the end of a quiet hall.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple