“Will definitely return!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Will definitely return!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I come to Pittsburgh often to see our kids and to attend cultural and sporting events. I have always been curious about The Priory but didn't think my husband would like the B&B atmosphere. He loved it!!! The staff was friendly, the room was unique and clean, the breakfast was superb, and the cost was affordable. We had a drink at the Monk Bar. It was very cozy and we met some nice people. We definitely plan to return!

Room Tip: We had a beautiful corner room at the end of a quiet hall.
1 Thank Suzy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I had a great get away weekend at the Priory. I was a little concerned that we might have been exposed to lots of noise and partying that weekend because it was St. Patrick's day weekend and the Priory is located close to lots of action. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Our room was quiet and comfortable. We decided to eat in on Friday night and were pleasantly surprised by the lovely soups offered in the Monk's bar. The shuttle service was excellent. They dropped us off for the parade and dinner out on Saturday and to the Penguins game on Sunday. They even let us park our car in their secure lot until after the Pens game at no charge. The only down side to the weekend was the tiny bathroom. But that was so minor it didn't interfere with anything. I plan to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger bathroom if that is important to you.
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Let me start by stating that the hotel is wonderful. The check-in friendly and efficient. The small pub/bar cute serving good sandwiches and other light fare. Our room was very large, but smallish bathroom. Everything was lovely, elegant and spotless. The hotel was an actual priory at one point and retains much of its charm and interior architecture. Breakfast is served in a gorgeous room which transports you back in time. Everything well decorated and tasteful. I loved it!

Now the only down side: location, location. It is just off the highway toward an outer edge of downtown, so that's excellent. However, it's also in what I would call a very 'shady' neighborhood with questionable characters hanging out near the parking lot of the hotel. My daughter and I were very uncomfortable (and I'm a woman of color). We debated whether it would be safe to leave the car in that parking lot which was easily accessible from the street, not gated, and didn't seem to have any security to speak of, including obvious cameras. We opted to stay. When we left in the morning, the guys (fairly sure they were dealing) were gone. We've traveled a lot and to many countries and places, but I'm not certain I would stay here again although we LOVED the hotel. However, that's just me. They clearly seem to enjoy a repeat clientele.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cubamom
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I wanted to take my husband somewhere intimate, fun,but close to home. Just to get away from the business, kids and craziness. Also, I did not want to spend too much, feeling quilty, why not just stay home attitude. We had a blast. The room was just right, clean, it was a snowy night but the shuttle droped us right at the front door of some local restaurants & picked us up. We had a drink in the Monk Bar too right there at the hotel. The next morning my husband insisted I get dressed to check out the breakfast spread, just our style, with cheeses, meats, fresh fruit.. Loved it and recommend it to all. What a great night..Next day my husband accidently left the interior light on in the car..the service staff jumped it.. so we did not have to wait for AAA..now that nice service.

Room Tip: It's important to know that you can stay in the historic side or newer contemporary side...I lov...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Priory Hotel exemplifies the culture of Pittsburgh in all aspects. The converted church parsonage creates a warm and inviting stay to the city---not to mention unique. The old architecture is charming and makes for a wonderful touch to your room. Although the hotel is small, the quaintness is what gives it the appeal of staying at home. That is how comfortable you are here! Plus the atmosphere is very romantic...

The complimentary breakfast is well-balanced, outstanding and the perfect way to start the day. The location is incredible, during our stay we walked to visit someone in Allegheny General Hospital, then headed to a dinner at SoHo right before catching The Great Gatsby at the New Hazlett Theater. The next morning we even mustered another adventure to the Warhol museum! Everything is within walking distance---the Strip District, North Shore, and much more. They also have free parking if you have a car on your trip and a complimentary shuttle!

If that doesn't seal the deal already for you, the best part of the stay was the extremely courteous staff. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, the Priory is a definite must!

1 Thank beccakopcie
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Priory has a lot going for it. It is beautifully furnished, the staff was very helpful, the complimentary breakfast was good, they provide free shuttle service, and there is a cute bar inside. There are a few negatives, however. The bathroom is really small, including the sink being in the room and no bathtub. Also, the location is in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood on the North Shore.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank techie6
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

...and she was right! What a great hotel!

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our birthdays. We had a great time and the staff were very helpful and friendly. We even got a tour of the Grand Hall by the manager!

It looks like I've found a place to stay when I visit Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: The rooms in the old wing are a little drafty, but they are very impressive, architecturally speakin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple