“Not perfect...but a nice hotel”
Review of The Priory Hotel

The Priory Hotel
Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Priory has a lot going for it. It is beautifully furnished, the staff was very helpful, the complimentary breakfast was good, they provide free shuttle service, and there is a cute bar inside. There are a few negatives, however. The bathroom is really small, including the sink being in the room and no bathtub. Also, the location is in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood on the North Shore.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank techie6
There are newer reviews for The Priory Hotel

Reviewed March 1, 2013

...and she was right! What a great hotel!

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our birthdays. We had a great time and the staff were very helpful and friendly. We even got a tour of the Grand Hall by the manager!

It looks like I've found a place to stay when I visit Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: The rooms in the old wing are a little drafty, but they are very impressive, architecturally speakin...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James G
Reviewed February 26, 2013

A great hotel. Loads of atmosphere. Over the river from the city, and not a lot in the area, so that was a bit disappointing. Perhaps an advantage to some as a little quieter, and and still not far from the CBD. Breakfast was excellent. It is beautifully renovated. I liked the hotel immensely.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nemothelonely
Reviewed February 25, 2013

stayed here on our wedding night. its beautiful. high ceilings and wallpaper and antiques everywhere. our bed was awesome., had chocolates n champagne waiting.. our room was just fabulous. staff were attentive. breakfast in the morning had awesome pastries . will definitely come back. shuttle service was a bonus. was way better than staying at a chain hotel. loved it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michelle a
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I loved my brief stay at The Priory. This is a quaint European-style hotel, with the pluses and minuses of a European-style hotel. Yep, the bathroom was tiny and I had to stash part of my grooming arsenal under a desk, but the room was larger than expected, the bed comfortable, the staff kind and accommodating--and parking, internet and breakfast were free. The breakfast is pretty good--a selection of cheeses, meats, fruit, pastries, and cereal--but the bread is just grocery-store stuff, which I found a bit baffling considering the quality of everything else.

The neighborhood is safe, although the street is a bit charmless--we had a view of a housing authority hi-rise. My husband and I felt perfectly comfortable walking back to the hotel at night from downtown, over one of Pittsburgh's many beautiful bridges.

Guests seem to come here from all over the place--I heard a number of foreign languages in the breakfast room.

I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TanteBabs
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We (along with our best friends) stayed here on 2/15/13. When we stayed here there was a wedding party which I feel did take away from our vist. Of course, it was nobodys fault, but the middle room area and the bar area seemed to be constantly full of people. It was not a big enough area for all of those people and some extra guests so we did not spend as much time enjoying and exploring the Inn as we could have. Our room itself was nice and we got the Valentines extras and they were nice also. They lost my card for breakfast the next morning so I had to call and tell the front desk. They said it was lost although I directly handed it in to the girl at the front desk the night before. I am a bit of a stickler for my morning coffee so I did not like having to call after I thought it would be delivered at a certain time. Not a big deal, but it was not a good first impression for us. Our favorite part of the stay? Henry. The shuttle driver. He is funny and witty and kind. He was great. Although all four of us did not have a great first impression of The Priory, we may give it another chance. I can see that it has potential so we will try again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alynn
Reviewed January 23, 2013

From the minute we walked in the door, staff at front desk were rude. The room was sparce and dirty. The drapery looked liked it had not been washed in years. The buffet breakfast in the morning looked like someone just threw the food on a plate.......no presentation at all. Dishes empty quickly and sloww to refill. We left and went to breakfast elsewere. All around a bad experience!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bean77
JohnEGraf, Owner at The Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

First, this guest was obviously dissatisfied with his or her experience at our property. We do strive to make each guest's stay with us as comfortable and relaxing as possible, and to the extent that we failed to achieve that in this instance, we do indeed apologize. That said, we do wish we had heard from this guest at or around the time of his or her stay, in which case we could have attempted to ameliorate his or her problems with the property. Absent that, if a guest is for some reason so thoroughly dissatisfied with the quality of his or her stay that they would give aspects of it one star on Tripadvisor, we would gladly have comped their stay. Unfortunately, we are unable to do that when the complaint appears on a public travel forum six months after the visit occurred. .I would also point out that this guest's experience is by no means typical, and even a quick reading of other reviews on this site indicate that our level of guest satisfaction in our service, room quality and breakfast is quite high.