“Old world charm in a 21st century body”
Review of The Priory Hotel

The Priory Hotel
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Once a Benedictine Monk's Monastery, this 44 room Boutique hotel has an European flavor you would not expect to find in Pittsburgh, PA. You can enjoy your complimentary continental breakfast outside on their garden patio, weather permitting, of course, or sit inside their small, homey breakfast room. Enjoy a drink in the evening, fabulous cocktails, in the Monk's bar. While the rooms are small, European sized, you do have complimentary WiFi and very plush, comfortable beds. Definitely an alternative to those large faceless hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here recently as part of a wedding. The hotel lost reservations for several parties (even though they'd confirmed only a few days earlier), forgot about shuttle services they'd booked for people, and generally seemed incompetent. From what I'd heard, I expected a very nice place that was high class. It certainly didn't meet these expectations. Rooms were extremely out of date (not simply old fashioned) and dirty. I didn't even want to walk on the carpet in the room without shoes on. For the price, there are plenty of places you can stay in Pittsburgh that are much nicer and in a better part of the city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gate1b
JohnEGraf, Owner at The Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

As I have noted in other responses, we strive to make each guest's stay with us quiet, comfortable and utterly enjoyable. On the relatively rare occasion that does not occur, we do try to make things right with the guest and to ameliorate the situation as well as we can. In this circumstance, this guest was part of a group booking (in fact, the same group where the review "Terrible" came from) where the person booking the rooms opted not to provide us with the names of the guests staying in the rooms in advance of check in. This meant that the rooms needed to be sorted and assigned at the front desk -- not ideal for the guest, obviously. However, upon reviewing this matter, it appears that our front desk staff handled the distribution of the rooms as well as they could under the circumstances. "Disorganization" at check in is not the norm at our front desk, and most guests find the process to be easy and seamless, particularly in comparison to larger hotels which may have long lines just to check in. Regarding this guest's review of the quality of our guest rooms, I can only note that her experience is not that of the vast majority of our guests, as evidenced by the reviews on this forum.

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic hotel. Staff 10 out of 10 on customer service, from Henry (courtous mini bus driver and unofficial tour guide) to the lovely young lady Deena in the Monks bar - everyone went out if their way to make our stay enjoyable. The hotel its self is perfect full of ambience. the surrounding area may look intimidating on google but trust us, its not we walked all over and never felt worried. My only disappointment was our room just lacked the magical touch, but we will certainly come back here in 2014 our next planned visit to the states.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MandiLoo
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am in town for a wedding at the Pittsburgh Aviary and the bride and groom reserved a block of rooms at the priory for out of town guests. Being a planner as soon as I got my invite I called (July 13th) to make our reservation. We arrived at the hotel yesterday and there was no parking left in the tiny parking lot (despite the fact they boast free parking for hotel guests). We found a place on the street to park and when we went inside the woman working the desk could not find any record of our reservation and while they had a room available that night (for twice the price we were expecting to pay per night) they were booked Friday (the night of the actual wedding) and Saturday night. The woman at the desk was extremely rude. Although after seeing where the hotel is located I can't say I'm all that upset we aren't staying there. The hotel is located directly under 279 (the major interstate that goes north out of the city) and about 3 blocks away from government low income housing.
I was extremely disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Caitlin W

We do strive to make each guest's experience with us a pleasant one, and on the rare occasions someone has a negative experience with us we do take it very seriously. That said, not every complaint, nor every review, has merit. This guest, as she notes, did not actually stay in our hotel, so take her criticism with that in mind. She did, however, attempt to check in a day before her actual reservation, and then tried to check in on another guest's two night reservation. We did offer to accommodate her for the first night, but she opted to leave the property. Later, our General Manager contacted this guest to discuss this matter and was met with a torrent of abuse and foul language. Finally, I would note that there are a number of just flatly incorrect factual statements in this review: (1) While there may not have been parking availability in the lot across the street, we had plenty of parking in our secondary lot, which is just around the corner from the entrance to the hotel; (2) our hotel is not "located under an interstate;" it is located approximately 200 yards from the main northern highway to and from the City of Pittsburgh, which is protected by a sound wall;our guests find the easy access to the highway a positive, and I cannot recollect a complaint about road noise; and (3) our hotel is not located "blocks from low income public housing," but is located near a high rise which houses senior citizens. At the Priory, we strive to please 100% of the time, and we occasionally fall short. In that case, we do all that we can to make our guests whole and happy. I am sorry that this did not occur here, but likewise it does not seem that that would ever have occurred.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My daughter had her reception at the Grand Hall and my wife and I stayed at The Priory Hotel overnight - excellent friendly staff, our room was very comfortable, bath with shower (have not used one of these in a while) - and continental breakfast in the morning was bountiful and very good - we enjoyed ourselves and look forward to an opportunity to return

Room Tip: Off the beaten path but worth the effort
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here almost every year since 2002 (missed two years). Every year the place gets better! This year we (my wife and seven year old son) tried the new wing King room and were very pleased with the experience and comfort level. We loved the new "Priory shuttle" and used it for rides to Market Square and Station Square. The three drivers we used were all excellent (Henry the great, Manager Tim, and Maura)! Manager Jeff P. (the hockey player) also went out of his way to see how things were going for us during our stay! We walked to three weekend Pirate games at the most beautiful ballpark in America - PNC Park - every year the park gets better also! Pittsburgh Zoo is also excellent and was a highlight of our stay. Q.The best place to relax at "The Priory"? A. The beautiful courtyard!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I never really enjoyed my Pittsburgh stays until I discovered The Priory Hotel during my last visit. This gorgeous, lovingly-maintained historic hotel on the North bank of the river gave me a new appreciation of this city's rich architectural history and was conveniently located to all the typical tourist sites and fine restaurants.

Although I learned to drive in Chicago, I have to say that Pittsburgh can be challenging to maneuver by car. When I discovered I was lost on my approach to The Priory, I called the front desk and a friendly employee named Desiree patiently guided me home. There are two close and convenient parking lots for guests and I rarely took the car again during my four-day stay. The Priory's courtesy shuttle and its friendly chauffeur Henry (who also doubles as a fine concierge!) offered helpful dining suggestions and warm conversation!

The historic neighborhood called Deutschtown was not a detractor for me, because I loved to see the diversity, construction and revitalization all around me. It is alive and well! If you want a sanitized, standardized, Disneyland feel, you will have to go to one of the mega high-rises on the south side of the river.

I did have trouble connecting to the free wi-fi internet, but staff were able to adjust the settings on my third floor router in no time. I used the Business Center on the ground floor often for printing documents I needed for my return trip and found this very convenient.

If you are Pittsburgh-bound for any reason, I heartily suggest The Priory. I will be back and look forward to further explorations, especially the Mexican War Street neighborhood nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the leafy, treed courtyard. It is stunning!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends