DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Why am I here?”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had a choice of a few other hotels but I chose Hilton because I am an Honors member. For a Downtown location this place should sparkle, like the Omni sparkles when you walk in. Instead it is quite dark and dreary. A few notes of interest:

Why cant I pull my blinds shut??? I dont want to look at city street lights all night and I dont want sun shining in my window when I wake. Why cant the fancy drapes pull all the way closed???? RIDICULOUS.

Why is the bathroom so smal but the mirror room just as big and unneccessary??? Bad Bad design.

Why is the Bigleow Grille and Bar the darkest most depressing lounge in the world? I swear I walked in tonight, Sunday (Oct 27th) and i felt like I had just been sentenced to a life in limbo. Why is everything so dark???? I get some shaded lighting adds ambiance but the mood, lighting , and the slow and depressed bartender made me feel like i needed to RUN from that place. I am now in my room , not feeling so good. Cant wait to check out.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank traff616

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Korean first
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had two minor complaints, which I'll get out of the way first. The decor in the room was sparse and outdated, with some peeling wallpaper. Despite the enormous room I got with a separate living room, the bathroom was quite small, and the shelf strangely placed over the toilet. My other complaint was that none of the staff knew anything about local public transportation, nor did they have any information to give out. I would think that the hotel could at least get some local transit maps, which I'm sure would be given to them for free for the asking. The hotel does have a free shuttle for nearby locations, going as far as the Duquesne Incline, but not as far as the Cathedral of Learning (which was only an $8 cab ride or $2.50 bus ride). It runs until 2 PM, so you're generally on your own to get back.
Despite their lack of knowledge (or ability to look up) public transportation issues, the staff were all friendly and efficient. Minor room issues such as a burned out lamp bulb and a bathroom mat were dealt with promptly. The room was huge and an excellent value. There was a large living room with both a table and a desk. The internet connection was fast compared to most hotels', although not good enough to stream videos. My room was super-quiet with no outdoor or hallway noise.
The restaurant had both good food and quite reasonable prices. I went there for four breakfasts, and enjoyed the omelet station with the buffet. Dinner was also very good, and there were plenty of menu choices. Even the wine glass pours were generous. The public areas were all well-maintained, from the gym to the indoor pool. I asked for a room with a view, and got a decent one (see photo) as a HHonors Gold member.
I would not hesitate to stay here again, although I wish they would spend a little bit of time educating the staff on local public transportation, and providing guests with local transit maps. I do not recommend taking the public bus to the airport (28X) unless you allow a lot of extra time. It stops only 3 blocks from the hotel, but ran 20 minutes late even on a Sunday.

1 Thank lebelgo
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advsior. We strive to meet the individual needs of all of our guests and are glad that we created a rewarding experience for you. Please come see us again in the future!!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great location in that the T is a 1/2 block away. We stayed 5 nights in a Hilton Honors suite. The bedroom and sitting room were spacious, but the bathroom was exceptionally small and poorly designed. Rooms are not luxurious but are clean. Restaurant and hotel staff were very accommodating. The food in the hotel's restaurant is very good as is the service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Moosebung
Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown for your recent stay. We appreciate the review that you shared on Trip Advisor. Please come back and see us again in the future!! If you need any help with a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

pgh, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2013

hotel room uninhabitable water leak smell moldy general condition shabby, dated even where work wasupdated worst Hilton experience ever should take Hilto name off property management and front desk unrsponsive hotel soldout due to football game we were booked for 4 day stay we checked out after two We would NEVER stay at this property again! There are pleny of Hyatts and Merriotts

1 Thank Pearse O
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We value all feedback as it helps us to continuously improve. I apologize that the situation was not taken care of in a timely fashion. We hope you would reconsider staying with us a second time to change your experience into a great one. If you need any help with a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Keswick, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Awful experience all around: staff failed to wake me up and the alarm clock in the room didn't work. The heating/cooling system didn't work and the walls had no sound insulating value. The staff seemed unconcerned with problems.

1 Thank Ellen S
We sincerely appreciate you choosing our property for your stay. Our team strives to provide the highest quality of service and we apologize for falling below expectations. Thank you for your feedback as it helps us to correct our mistakes and improve to prevent future incidents. Unfortunately we were unable to address the issues you faced while staying with us, we are currently working on solutions so we do not inconvenience you or any of our other guests in the future.

I have escalated this issue so that my colleagues are aware of the situation. If you would like to provide more feedback please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here whilst in town for work for three nights. The hotel is very well situation in the centre of Pittsburgh, very close to Duquesne University and the Consol Arena where the Penguins play. It is a very popular choice for sports fans!

The check in process was efficient and the staff were friendly. My room was perhaps a little dated in terms of decor, but it was comfortable and clean. The AC/Heating worked well which was good because October in Pittsburgh can be a little unpredictable in terms of weather - you can be freezing one moment then boiling the next and you need your room to adjust with you!

There is good public transport in Pittsburgh which will get you to most places you need to go.

The one criticism I have of the hotel, which isn't really a fault of the hotel itself, is the lack of dining options close by. They have a bistro which looked nice, but otherwise you only have a Dunkin Donuts close by. I recommend walking down towards Market Square, but that's a good few minutes away and difficult for those with limited mobility. There is a metro stop right by the hotel, which could get you up and down the hills at least.

I would definitely stay here again.

Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great location in downtown area. Has shuttle that will take you to a limited downtown area. Only complain was limited area served by the shuttle. Would stay here again on next trip to Pittsburgh. Lots to so within short walk of hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John T
Thank you for sharing great feedback regarding your recent experience! We hope to see you again in the future. If you need any assist for a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact me directly.