DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #32 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I spent 34 nites at the DoubleTree Downtown Pittsburgh on business. Can't say enough about each and every hotel person I encountered. They were the most friendly, caring and professional people you could imagine. I want to thank HouseKeepers on the 5th floor (especially Dawn). They were absolutely awesome - every day my room was squeaky clean and neat. For sure, I will return to this hotel with my spouse for a more leisurely stay and look forward to renewing friendships with all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello Ron L.,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others from your stays here at the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh. We are so very pleased to receive the comments. We are so proud of our staff and service that we provide. Again, Thank you for sharing and we look forward to seeing you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make your reservations.

412.281.5800

Write a ReviewReviews (1,657)

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I don't know much about Pittsburgh, but the location seemed to be okay. We walked home from the Mahalgala Incline and shopped and ate along the way, so you don't need to cab it everywhere. The hotel shuttle did drop us off at the inclinde and the driver was very nice and gave us a brief tour of the city as we dropped off other passengers. For the money, you get a lot at this hotel..

Pros:
Comfortable Bed
Updated Spacious Rooms
Friendly Service
Excellent Shades, Pitch Black with all of them down
Iron & Ironing Board
Free Shuttle

Cons:
No refrigerator for my doggie bag / late night snack

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Hello Ralph A,

Thank you for sharing your positive comments with us!! We are glad you enjoyed your stay while visiting the Pittsburgh Area. Our Standard rooms do not come equipped with a microwave or refridgerator, however; give a call to our CARELINE (front desk), and they will be happy to deliver that to your room within 15 minutes of your request.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while we were in town for a wedding. I can't compare the price or amenities to any other hotel in the area, but overall we enjoyed our stay. Our room was updated, with new furnishings, a comfortable bed and a great view of the city. However, it being an older building, the rooms themselves were small and the bathroom had no counter space, not even for a toothbrush. The hotel staff was very friendly, and the valet parking attendants were great. I will say that though they have a free shuttle, the few times we tried to use it, we waiting for more than 30 minutes before finally getting in a cab.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank haledan2

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh. We appreciate all the positive comments and feedback about our Staff and Valet Attendants. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was the 2nd time we stayed here. My daughter lives on the Southside of Pittsburgh and we are HHonors members so this is the closest location to her. As a member, we received an upgraded "mini" suite room (bedroom plus sitting room). However, the rooms are old with very small bathrooms (no counterspace or area to dress, blow dry hair, etc.). Free breakfast at the Bigelow is great! The biggest complaint is they call the bed queen size but it totally is not. This is the 2nd time we had a "Queen" room, the first time I thought they made a mistake and gave us a double bed. This time I asked and was told that they are considered Queen by "European" standards, but I'm in Pittsburgh, USA. My husband and I are not large by any means, most would consider us smaller (112lbs. and 143lbs.) and this bed was WAY TOO SMALL. The 2nd night, I slept on the couch-good thing we had the 2 rooms. We also had another issue with the room, the overhead light in the one room would not turn off and they could not figure out a solution. We were comped $100 which was appreciated but still we were zombies the next day. I will stay here again because of the convenient location.

Room Tip: If you are a couple ask for a King Size room. Make sure all lighting and other stuff is working cor...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for you feedback!! We take pride in our Bigelow Grille Restaurant. It has such a variety of menu options for a specific taste you may have. The queen beds are not the type of beds that we would normally purchase for our own homes. They are hotel queens at the standards size. I was actually the Manager on Duty when we spoke late that night about your trip to Pittsburgh and your Daughter living in the Southside area. I am very thankful for your comments as this helps us improve our service and quality.

I look forward to seeing you again next time.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

First let me say that for Pittsburgh this hotel was not too bad. I enjoy the city but the hotels are all older hotels- which with that comes smaller rooms and bathrooms.

I picked this hotel because the room pictures posted on the Hilton website. The picture shows a standard king sized room that appears recently remodeled with a leather-like backdrop to the bed and modern accents. I obviously received a room that was not yet remodeled. It was a more dated decor and an awkward room layout with some worn spots in wallpapers and carpets. I am very disappointed that I did not get a room as portrayed on the website- especially with advance reservations and as an Hhonors member. I am certain my room rate was no different than a remodeled room.

As a Hilton Hhonors member I asked for a high room with a good view. I did not get either. The room was on the 9th floor but the view was the worse hotel view I have ever had. It overlooked a roof and HVAC vents. It was also at a corner so if my window was open the room next to mine could see directly in...I mean they were like 4 feet away.

I ordered roomservice at 10:15 for dinner. At 11:30 it had not come so I called to check on it. They said they forgot to write down the room number and had it ready for me. They brought it up and did not charge. I understand the mistake and appreciated the comp...but it was inconvenient and the food was obviously not the freshest.

I may stay at this hotel again- as size is typical for hotel- but I would want to be certain the room was updated.

Room Tip: Make sure it is a renovated room.
Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay here with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh. I am so glad you enjoyed the city while on your visit. I am dissappointed to here that our hotel fell short of your expectations. We strive to provide top notch service at our hotels as well as clean and comfortable rooms. We are in the process of guest room renovations to enhance our product and consistently improve. Please give us another opportunity to provide the experience you were looking forward to.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to book your reservation.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My Friend and I stayed here for one night to go to a Pirates Game. Great location right in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle service to area attractions. The driver was very nice and very helpful. Would def stay here again!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. If you need any assistance with a future reservations please do not hesistate to contact me directly.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights to look at the University of Pittsburgh. We arrived at 10:30 at night and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful valet attendant. He parked our car in a prime spot and called for the bellman. This is where the customer service ended. The bellman never arrived after waiting 10 mins for him and as the line of cars waiting to be served increased, we gave up and hauled our luggage up to the front desk ourselves. Molly checked us in and was crisp and curt. We asked her some simple questions....Where is the U. of Pitt? Is there a shuttle? and she when she was able to answer the question, gave us some rude reply.

The room itself was great! VERY comfortable beds and a nice alcove with a desk overlooking the city. The bathroom was small but the separate vanity/dressing area made it bigger. Room was spotlessly clean and the bath towels were large and fluffy!

We decided to stay another night and called down to the front desk to request to extend our stay. A guy answered the phone (did not give his name) and when I asked if this was the front desk, he rudely replied "speaking". I asked to extend our stay and he said that "he didn't know if he could do that". Where was he trained in customer service? His tone of voice was rude and condescending and I was somewhat shocked. I am in a Hilton and expect some degree of customer service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank essie846
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

I would like to take this moment to thank you for sharing your experience you had here at the Doubletree Downtown Pittsburgh. I sincerely apologize for the lack of customer service you received. We appreciate all feedback and this will only help us become experts in our customer service. Thank you for the kind words on the cleanliness of our rooms. I will inform our housekeeping manager of your comments. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to provide any further information.