“I wouldn't stay there again”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #32 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stay in a lot of hotels (at least one per month) all over the country. Typically, you can count on a chain like this having a certain consistent feel. The only thing familiar here were the cookies. This building does not feel like it was built as a hotel and seems nothing like the Doubletree we had stayed in just a few days earlier. My guess is that the building is a rehab of something totally different. It was old, but not in a historic or good way. The furnishings and such were updated, but that couldn't mask the terrible building itself. The halls were gloomy, lobby ceilings were low and uninviting, the rooms themselves had awkward layouts (I had two rooms) where some windows were behind walls that couldn't be seen from or illuminate most of the room.

In addition to the bleak building, the front desk staff was not well trained. I had to visit the desk three times before I received keys that worked in my doors. She said my cell phone was wiping the cards, but since different people were carrying different sets of keys, this wasn't possible. She did not apologize and refused to come up with me to see if the third set of keys would work (which finally they did). Her attitude was that it was all my fault, and I was bothering her with my ineptitude. I later came down to ask some tourist questions. I spoke to a different person who again acted like she was doing me a favor. When I visited the desk the next morning, the day crew was much more helpful and pleasant. They even gave me some cost saving tips unsolicited.

We used the shuttle to take us to the Warhol museum. It was a helpful amenity given how confusing the city is and the driver was great. He even gave a little tour guide speech as he drove us. We also used the pool and fitness area. That area was very nice, bright and updated. It almost didn't seem like it was in the same building.

We also used the valet service. They do not serve the front door. Instead, you unload luggage and family in front, and then drive yourself around the building into the garage. I found this a great inconvenience for valet. It defeats the purpose. The staff there was also hot and cold. Some were helpful, others gave us that "I'm doing you a favor" attitude -- so unattractive in hospitality staff.

We booked these rooms through a last-minute online discount service. Had I paid market rate, I would have been very unhappy with the service and the building, but since I paid very little it was OK.

Room Tip: If you are interested in room quality, stay someplace else.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank hoosiertreker
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. To clarify, the hotel was built as an apartment complex in the 1950's and was converted to a hotel many years later. Unlike many hotels, we are an older building but have gone through a number of renovations recently. Our last phase will be to complete a full guest room renovation starting in December.

In regards to your stay, we sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory experience. I have shared your review my the team and a diligently working on our shortfalls.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Hotel Director of Operations
modonoghue@doubletreepgh.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,657)

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I travel to Pittsburgh monthly and have stayed in all the hotels. The Doubletree is actually my favorite and, at least for Heinz employees, they offer great rates. The rooms are updated, spacious, and large. There is a really nice gym and pool. The staff and service is very friendly. My favorite part is the restaurant and bar - great food and always nice people here.

When going to Pittsburgh - this and the Westin are your best bets.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Andrew,
We appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience. Thank you for your business and loyalty to the DoubleTree By Hilton Pittsburgh.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Great location for downtown and the hotel shuttle really helps. They took us to the strip to shop, picked us up from dinner and on game day they shuttled us close to the stadium. We walked back after the game and it wasn't terribly far. The staff was very helpful and the chocolate chip cookies are delish. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. We truly appreciate your positive review and hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

I was completely impressed with the level of service I received from this hotel on quick 2 day trip to Pittsburgh. The place was very clean and comfortable. The Bigelow Grill has superb food, there is even a hotel shuttle to take you around town and it is in walking distance of the hockey arena . The General Manager Mr. Zugger is the absolute best. If you enjoy the apparent lost art of good service, check out this hotel you will find it alive and well.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Thanks for the wonderful review. Tim Zugger and i enjoyed meeting you. Don't be a stranger to Pittsburgh.

Safe travels,

Reviewed June 20, 2011

After reading the reviews here I wanted to give the Doubletree a try because we where going to the Sade concert. And, this hotel was close. I have been staying at Hilton’s for years and have accumulated over 200,000 points since. Also, I understood there had been substantial upgrades to the property. I was also happy that since we are smokers they offer smoking rooms as an option.
We received the upgrade to a suite that we requested on arrival and check in was quick and efficient. Well the room was really nothing special. I seemed dark and kind of dingy. The sink in the bathroom was not working. So had to call maintenance but they did come right away. Also, one of the lights was burned out but just left it. The bed took up most of the space in the bedroom so you had to be careful not to bump your knees. There was no water in the room either. And, I could never get the a/c balanced and had to get up and turn it off or on again all night long. For what we paid I was very disappointed and do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Iliveinkona

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review. Our apologies for the burned out light bulb and lack of bottled water in the room.

We have just finalized our new guest room design and are excited to start the renovation at the end of the year. We have a very limited number of smoking rooms and will be 100% smoke free in December 2011. We encourage all our guests to contact the CARELine and share your experience with the manager on duty. We love to WOW our guests so allow us the opportunity to address your concerns while in the hotel.

Thanks again for the review. Hopefully you will have another opportunity to visit Pittsburgh and experience one of our new guest rooms.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

Room was somewhat worn. Location was very convenient and hotel shuttle service made it even more so. On site restaurant was not so hot for food quality but room service was prompt. Room was suite style with good sized living space but small bedroom and VERY SMALL bathroom. It would not be my first choice hotel in this area but you can make do if necessary.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. Our on site restaurant, the Bigelow Grille is not your typical hotel restaurant. Our chef specializes in locally grown, seasonal and organic food where each dish is cooked from scratch to order. Typically, food cooked from scratch takes longer. We recommend ordering off the bar menu if you have limited time available. Additional information on the Bigelow Grille can be found on twitter and facebook.

On your next visit, be sure to check out the renderings of our new guest rooms. We are excited to get the renovation underway towards the end of the year.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

1. Rooms are TINY - weired "L" shape that is the size of a shoebox.

2. A/C was insufficient. Switched rooms with same results.

There is no way I would ever come back here - especially with the family. A family of four will be packed in like sardines.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank couponcubs
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have 135 suites in the hotel and would suggest asking for an upgrade prior to arrival if you have 3 of more people sharing your room. An upgrade can vary from $15 to $200 per night based on the upgrade request - one or two bedroom suites. Feel free to email me for upgrade requests or questions. In regards to your Air Conditioning, it is necessary to keep your energy saving card in the outlet on the wall to change the temperature setting on the thermostat. It can be a little confusing but don't hesitate to contact the CARELine for assistance.

Safe Travels,