“Great for vegetarians”

Tana Ethiopian Cuisine
Ranked #939 of 2,225 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We tried both vegetable and chicken dishes. The chicken was tender and nicely seasoned. The breads were tender and delicious. The cook knew how to prepare garlic so it tasted good in the lentil soup and vegetable soup. We returned for a second visit and tried different dishes. The foods were just as good on the second visit. I could see minced jalapenos in several dishes, but the peppers must have been seeded and deveined because they tasted sweet, not hot. The portions were generous, so two of us shared one bowl of soup and one entree which came with two vegetable sides.

Reviewed May 11, 2009

Genuinely good food with a few dishes you won't find in other Ethiopian restaurants in cities with larger Ethiopian communities -- such as lentils with jalapenos. The cuisine is not especially spicy, but it's well made. The sambusas are always fresh and excellent, and the injera very good. Ethiopian food's veg and vegan-friendly, and Tana's no exception. The owner and manager hospitable and genuinely interested in making the space a community one. I've seen both romantic couples and large families with lots of kids, all eating or talking happily. The coffee ceremony is one I"ve never experienced before this place -- great fun! Currently, they have live jazz once a week. I've not heard it, but I like the idea very much.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Great food, great flavors, very nice for something different

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We have been searching for years for an Ethiopian restaurant to rival one we discovered in Washington DC about 20 years ago, and we have finally found one in Pittsburgh--Tana. The food is fresh and the spices fabulous. The injera is the best we have ever eaten and the vegetarian options are especially wonderful. The owners are charming. We recommend Tana with great enthusiasm!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Abay closed an hour before closing time one night, so we went to Tana instead -- even though the Abay folks suggested we get pizza instead. The food was excellent, the injera was warm (which is more than I can say for Abay some nights), and our server was absolutely delightful (which is much more than I can say for Abay most nights).

My only complaint is that even though they have a bar, the wine selection is extremely limited. I'd still recommend to BYOB (which is allowed for a small corkage fee). On the other hand, they did have an interesting Ethiopian honey wine.

Give it a shot people!