Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island
Ranked #51 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband & I brought his elderly parents (89 & 93) to Pittsburgh for the weekend. We picked this hotel based on all the positive feedback. It was well priced, spotlessly clean, quiet, the staff was friendly & helpful, the fitness room & pool were great & the complementary breakfast adequate & convenient. The view out our window was beautiful and there was a nice, outdoor seating area where we sat for appetizers and drinks that we'd brought along one night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2010

Dear Madison_WITraveler,

It’s great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to Pittsburgh. Hope to see you again!

Take care,
Stephanie Westfall, General Manager

Reviewed August 13, 2010

Our overall experience was good. The staff is very friendly. The only draw back on that was they seem to prioritize answering the phone over helping guests at the desk. The hotel seems to need several more hands at the desk or do what other hotels do and maybe place someone on hold if it will take a while. We waited about ten minutes standing in front of desk to get greeted and checked in. That may not seem too long but when your tired and all you want to do is relax, those minutes sure do drag on. Started it off in a bad mood.

The room was clean and you feel you can walk around without your shoes on, but had a musty smell. The AC is quiet and on the wall. They built the hotel with very good sound proofing. You only hear doors closing but that obviously can't be helped since they are fire doors and pretty heavy. If you go outside, it is very noisy due to the traffic on the bridge. We were on the 2nd floor facing the water and we didn't hear the traffic but I did feel a "pressure" sound and feeling in my ears at night. I think that was due to the AC and not the bridge but we left the fan on in the room at night to cover any noise that we may of experienced. We did hears kids playing out back on e night but it stopped around 11pm.

Elevators were a little slow during busy times and I think one broke while we were there.

Beds were pillow top and dented in. My wife had trouble sleeping because of the "ruts" in the bed in which it keeps you in a single position all night. We asked for extra pillows for the kids and they accommodated us.

Towels were dingy and need to be replaced.

Pool - most of our stay is was fine. It is a saltwater pool which my kids liked because no chlorine. I seen this comment before about the whirl pool in that it smelled like dirty feet. I declined to go in and didn't let my family in it that day but it was fine the next few days. It may of had heavy traffic those days due to the weekend. Plenty of towels left out so they keep an eye on that.

Breakfast was OK - eggs are good if you catch them fresh. Sausage was good. Breakfast sandwiches were only available one of the days we stayed and were like a MacDonald's sandwich. I would suggest more fresh fruit but I know that is hard to keep up. It would be nice if they changed something around day to day like Holiday Inn Express. Space is limited but there is seating outdoors if needed.

Kings in the front to eat at is OK - usually not busy because of the location so it worked out fine to eat at.

Again - I had read about this - the room's internet connection is very slow. Some nights I could not connect. They do have wireless and I was able to connect in the morning good in the breakfast area.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2010

Thanks for your review adirondacks14, and for recommending our hotel! I’m so glad your review was very detailed, it’s always good to know where we have room to improve along with what we’re doing right. Hope to see you and your family again on your next trip to Pittsburgh!

Yours truly,
Stephanie Westfall, General Manager

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Super clean, super courteous, and super value! We were in town to attend a wedding and the couple had blocked off rooms for guests at the Holiday Inn on McKnight Rd. After looking at the Holiday Inn's poor reviews online, as well as being subjected to their RUDE customer service rep on the phone, I opted for the Fairfield instead. What a great decision! We stopped by the Holiday Inn to pick up other wedding guests before the ceremony and were appalled by the condition of the hotel; filthy, stinky (smoke), old, and a pitiful breakfast they charged guests $8/person for! We really made the smart decision choosing the Fairfield. ps...Neville Island is an industrial island. The hotel faces factories on one side and the river on the other. Try arrive around 3pm so you can first in line for a river view room.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stay at marriott for the points, but I am about done with this venture. We are staying at this hotel for 5 nights (or that was the original plan). we have stayed here before (for extended periods), requested a king on the river side of the hotel, where you have a nice view of the river. There were no rooms available on that side of the hotel, so they put us in a King handicapped room. Not that it is that bad, but I would prefer a closet that didn't have hangers at the 1/2 mast and bars around the toilet, etc. The check in women should have told us before we checked in that this was a handicapped room. Also, I would have appreciated some sort of reciprocity for being given one of the worst rooms in the hotel as I do patronize only marriots anymore (but I'm giving up). My daughter who is with us on this trip likes this hotel because of the "fire pit" in the back. The room is spacious but that is only great if you are spending a bunch of time in the room (which we are not).
BEWARE THERE IS NO WHERE TO EAT AROUND HERE!!!!! there is a subway (and a new king's but I am speaking of a nice sit down, white cloth kind of place)in some old crummy building and other then that it looks like the set from planet of the apes or mel gibson's mad max movie set. if you want to go for a walk or exercise outside, forget it if you stay here. It is pretty industrial and scary. Bottom line, I would not recommend only because this marriot does not value marriot loyalty; it's truly horrific location and the overall lack of anything to do here. I would stay away from the pool and hot tub, have seen some pretty scary things in there. The exercise room is tiny but I guess it works in a pinch. As for me, I am off to the William penn.
Sorry that this place let us down SOOOOO much. Furniture is caved in (sofa) over used and over tired.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank tomuchtravel
Reviewed August 6, 2010

The staff at this Fairfield Inn were warm and eager to please. The lady at the front desk was cheerful, ready to help, and even had that bartender-like ability to listen. I overheard people telling her about their life- she was patient with them. The maintenance/service man was on top of every request, and went the extra mile to make us happy. We asked for a crib, and he brought a crib PLUS 2 little toys for our 4 and 2 year old sons.

The pool is small but excellent. The whirlpool was outstanding. Our entire family of 4 made good use of both.

Our room was comfortable and new; the beds were just the right blend of soft and firm. The TV is a flat screen and has a wide selection of cable channels.

The decor was a little obnoxious- it looked like the people at Fairfield hired the artistic designer from Forever 21 and said: "Make our hotel look young and jazzy!" Lots of neon green highlights. But I digress- I didn't come here for the decor, and neither will you.

My one complaint was the complimentary breakfast. They ran out of most everything we would want (eggs, coffee, granola), and didn't replace them with any due haste. There was a lack of order and ownership in the breakfast area, and as a result, a general sense of hoarding and low-grade panic among the hotel guests who were looking to feed themselves on the remaining scraps. We came at 8:20, with 40 minutes before it was supposed to close. So I recommend going earlier to ensure a better experience.

Give this Fairfield a try. Overall, it's a very peaceful place, and I will go back if I'm in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We’re so glad your family enjoyed your stay with us and apologize for your breakfast experience, our Breakfast Supervisor has been made aware. We hope you’ll come back to see us next time you’re in Pittsburgh so we can provide the same level of service you received from the front desk and maintenance at breakfast, which is what we strive for. Thanks once again – hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed July 8, 2010

I first discovered the Fairfield Inn one year ago as our family began the sad task of moving our ailing mother from her nearby home to what turned out to be a succession of hospitals and nursing facilities. The quiet charm of the Fairfield and the soothing views of the Ohio River soon became the perfect antidotes to that stressful time. On my seven visits since, the staff has always been as hospitable as they were then and I am impressed - but no longer surprised - that the custodial staff remembers my love of lap swimming and never fails to mention that the pool is in good order and just waiting for me to dive in. There are few hotels that take as much pride in their cleanliness and customer service as does the Fairfield. Even continental breakfast is a command performance as the cheerful desk clerks help out with replenishing the ever-fresh offerings and greeting the residents. When mom passed away last winter and we all stayed at the Fairfield, the front desk clerk suggested that a trip to the nearby ice skating dome might cheer us up. It did - and she did - and it is that type of consideration and kindness that makes the Fairfield Neville Island feel like a home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

It’s great to hear from you, thanks so much for your kind comments. We’re all very sorry about your mother’s passing and are glad that going skating helped lift your spirits a bit. We look forward to seeing you again if you find yourself returning to Pittsburgh.

Take care,
The Fairfield Inn & Suites Neville Island Team

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Great hotel close to the highway for a overnight stop. The rooms are large, very clean and well decorated. They come with flat screen TVs with a good choice of channels to view. The bed was one of the most comfortable we've slept in. All of the hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. There is a restaurant right in front of the hotel to get dinner after a day of traveling and the breakfast included with the stay at the hotel was very good. The only disadvantage is that there is not much to see or do in the immediate area, but for us it was a great place to stop for the night while traveling.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple