“Too much noise”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island
Ranked #51 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 29, 2013

So, I failed to check the local area before making a reservation at this location. We ended up spending our extended weekend in a hotel filled to the brim with hockey families -- common area filled to the brim each evening with people and pizza; breakfast area busy and loud. Wasn't a good match for our desire for a little quiet getaway with a fire pit and a view (as advertised online). Since the hotel was so full we ended up without the view, and it was too cold to enjoy the fire pit outside. Looked to be charming for another time, however.

The hot tub and pool were nice enough, but with unsupervised youngsters running and jumping into the pool from the edge of the hot tub in spite of the "no diving, no jumping" instructions, that evening didn't fare well either.

I will say that the property was nice enough given the right conditions. The breakfast variety was excellent - even had strawberries for the top of the waffles. The room was clean, had plenty of outlets for charging electronics, and the bed fairly comfortable - not high end rave about it, but comfortable. And they had a few extra touches like fresh water waiting for you near the elevators.

Our one saving grace was that we were there on business so only had to experience the busy-ness of things in the mornings and evenings, not all through the day. And the staff did place us on a higher floor to avoid most of the noise. As to location - if you haven't been to Pittsburgh before, it appears to be a nice location on the map and through descriptions, but it is really kind of out of the way, more of an industrial area than an "island" atmosphere, with only one restaurant nearby.

Room Tip: Before booking, check the hockey schedule for the arena nearby. Ask for a quiet floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Peg I,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay. We always appreciate hearing from our guests on both positive feedback and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We're happy to have had you as our guest, and we're glad you found our clean hotel, comfortable accommodations, and excellent breakfast selection to meet your satisfaction. I sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of providing you with an exceptional stay. We value you as our guest, and do hope we'll have an opportunity to extend our hospitality to you again in the near future. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a nice newer hotel. I like the location as it was 25 minutes from the airport and I am heading North. I could see why someone wouldn't like it if they wanted to be near the downtown and such. Upon arrival, 10/24 at 9 pm, I was greeted by a very friendly front desk host.

I stayed in a King Suite. It was decorated very modern with nice color schemes. The living room area was comfortable and the tv a good size. The bed was comfortable and the a/c heater worked good. However, when it is not running, you can hear large trucks crossing the bridge if your room faces the river. I could also hear some drunks past midnight hanging out by the fire pit. I wanted to open my window and tell them to stuff it but they don't open. I could have called the front desk but that is not my style so I used the sound machine on my I-phone. Also, for what they charge here it would be nice to have a couple bottles of water in the room.

The breakfast was mediocre. For me, it all revolves around the scrambled eggs. Their eggs had no flavor. I'm sure they are the cheapest powdered you can get. Also, the coffee was okay but no half and half which is a must. They had the little coffee mates but that is not the same. The muffins were tasty.

Overall, a nice place. They could just do a few more of the little things to close the deal.

funpauly,
Thank you for writing a review. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority so we appreciate your feedback on ways we can enhance our guest experience. These details definitely do make a trip, and we regret we were unable to exceed your expectations during your stay. We're glad you liked our hotel overall, and we hope you'll return for another visit in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have been involved in a business deal on Neville Island and have stayed 15 nights at the Fairfield off & on over the past several months. The rooms are always nice & clean and priced reasonable compared to other choices in the area. They have a nice sitting area out back with a fire pit and the morning breakfast is adequate for my needs. The property is in good shape and most of the time the staff is friendly and accommodating. The hotel is 100% smoke free and the suites are very nice. The last few visits the morning staff at the desk are the most unfriendly people I have ever met. Not sure what’s going on. My other issue is that you don’t get anything for being a Marriot Gold member. Maybe an occasional upgrade or a bottle of water would be a nice touch. Although the hotel is very convenient for my needs, I have started staying at some other locations lately.

2  Thank Ohio2
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Ohio2,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Fairfield Inn & Suites Neville Island. We value you as our guest and greatly appreciate your positive feedback on our accommodations and amenities, as well as opportunities for improving our guest satisfaction. I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the exceptional service you've come to expect from us on your recent visits. This is definitely not up to our high standards and excellence in service. Please know your comments have been addressed with our staff and additional steps will be taken to assure we're providing a more positive experience. We hope to win you over with our improvements and become your number one choice hotel on Neville Island. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We booked a weekend at the Neville Island location in Pittsburgh, PA from 10/11/13 - 10/13/13. I have to say that we were very impressed with the cleanliness of our King room. Upon entering, you could just see and smell how clean the bedding was as well as the spotless bathroom. Huge fluffy towels were another pleasant surprise - not like those scratchy stiff small squares that a lot of hotel chains offer. Bedding was soft and comfortable and considering the hotel was crammed with what looked like kids and families attending a hockey camp, the rooms were quiet and we did not have any noise issues.

Breakfast was buffet style and had an assortment of fruit, cereal, as well as hot foods such as scrambled eggs, sausage, make your own waffles, etc. Also plenty of juices and yogurt to choose from. We did not go hungry there! Swimming pool and exercise room were great. A back patio that faced the river had a large beautiful fire pit for evening enjoyment.

Our only complaint was an incident that happened on Saturday evening. We were reviewing the pay-per-view movies on tv and my husband accidentally hit a button on the remote that ordered one. We immediately called the front desk to have it removed and the person staffing the front desk (male) said "hold on and let me make sure you aren't lying" and put us on hold to confirm. The movie was removed from our bill but we were quite taken aback by his rude comment and insult.

Would we stay at this hotel again? Absolutely! A small lesson in manners to the night staff but other than that, it was a wonderful stay and I would highly recommend this location without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gokartchik

gokartchik,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Neville Island. I'm pleased to hear that the comfort and cleanliness of our accommodations exceeded your expectations, and you found our amenities well suited for your travels. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had with the front desk regarding the pay-per-view movie. We sincerely apologize for the manner this was handled, as we would never want to leave you with a poor impression. I assure you this has been addressed with our staff. We're glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and we hope you'll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing and sharing your high recommendations of our great hotel.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Rooms are large and clean and the hotel and its staff are first class. As good if than better than any marriott property (or other hotel) in the entire pittsburgh market.

The only real negative is the location. It is quite close to the highway depending on where you are in the hotel you may hear some traffic and truck horns. Also, in terms of dining, there are really no decent restaurants within 15 minutes of the hotel, not a big deal by the closest business space is about 20 minutes away at The Pointe by Robinson

MarkJMinneapolis,
We're happy to hear from you, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Fairfield Inn & Suites Neville Island. We appreciate your complimentary feedback on our spacious and clean accommodations, as well as our hospitable staff. Please plan to visit us the next time you travel to the area. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

The hospitality at the front desk was quite nice, and everything else about my stay was exactly what you'd expect from a Fairfield. It is a newer hotel, which is always nice, too.
The only downside is location. It's just... blah. It might be a mile or two closer to the office I visit for business, but in the future, I'll go out of my way to stay somewhere more interesting. Business trips are already tough, and having something--anything--interesting to see or do in the evening makes a big difference.
So, no slight against the proprietor, staff, or anything else with the hotel, but I cannot recommend it unless it's literally on your way from place to place.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor, east side and didn't notice any highway noise. You may want to ask if...

Chris S,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Neville Island. It's great to receive your kind comments about our friendly staff, and we're glad you found our hotel and amenities to meet your expectations. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment in our location and hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is a newer property and very well maintained. The hotel patio is on the Ohio River and has a great gas fire pit area on the patio. It is a great place to relax and enjoy the view especially after using the indoor pool which is next to the patio. The hotel room and bathroom were both spacious and very clean. Breakfast was good and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: The nearby freeway adds some noise but the views of the river from my room were ver nice.

andy k,
We appreciate you choosing Fairfield Inn & Suites Neville Island, and we thank you for writing a review about your experience. It's great to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing stay and found our clean accommodations, friendly service, and variety of amenities well suited for your travels. We hope to welcome you back as our guest again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.