“All good things”
Review of Legume

Legume
Reserve with OpenTable
Legume is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 2,178 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bayard
Transit: The 71C, 71A, 54 and 93 all stop at the intersection of N. Craig and Bayard. Additional buses stop at N. Craig and Fifth Ave., approximately 1 and 1/2 blocks south of Legume.
Latrobe, PA
“All good things”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just returned home from a wonderful dinner at Legume. The entire staff was great: polite, refined yet warm and friendly. Our server, Justin, was pleasant, helpful with suggestions and explanations of the offerings of the day, and attentive to our needs. Who could ask for more?? We are not people who know cocktails, but their menu of choices included explanations that helped us pick two yummy options. The food. Oh the food was delicious. We started with the crostini with goat cheese and pepper jelly (because we had seen positive comments about it here), and it did not disappoint. Small, but delicious, and just enough to enjoy crunching with our cocktails. The grilled escarole salad was a plate full of goodness. I couldn't remember what all the ingredients were, but I trusted in the chef and dug in. Every morsel was wonderful. Hubby and I chose two different entrees, with full intentions of switching mid-meal. Having a hard time deciding between Wild Striped Bass and Yukon River Sockeye Salmon, I discussed the options with Justin. He was able to elaborate on the preparation, sides and sauces, and helped me choose the salmon. Oh boy ... that sauce was incredible!! My husband suggested he could eat his shoe if that sauce was on it. Hubby went with Beef Rib Loin with Barley and Red Wine Sauce. Also ... extremely delicious, though we both preferred the salmon. We accepted the chef's suggestion of medium rare for both entrees (I'm usually more of a "medium" girl myself), and the chef was right. Pure perfection. For dessert, we chose the Banana Chocolate Chunk Cake (also because of reviews I had seen online), and the Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Espresso Soaked Turkish Figs and Espresso Meringue (at the suggestion of an assistant server at the restaurant). I'm not sure I really tasted the espresso so much, but the Panna Cotta was really something special. The buttermilk taste added that little sourness the was the perfect offset from the sweet figs. The meringue melted immediately on the tongue. The banana cake was topped with salted caramel ice cream which was a yummy, though very sweet combo. Perfect for a sweet tooth, but a little too much for me.

This was a very special meal. I will reiterate a comment I saw by another online reviewer: Don't worry about some of the ingredients in the salads or sides that may be unfamiliar to you. Trust in the chef. There are talented people in this kitchen, and they put a spectacular meal on your table. Sit back and enjoy, and try not to lick the plate.

1 Thank Cathy S

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Amazing Food”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

It is unfortunate that when writing this review, the human part of the experience takes away from the overall dining experience. The restaurant is actually 2 separate dining experiences. It shares a kitchen between Legume, and it's bar/casual dining location next door, Butterjoint. The atmosphere is nice and the overall ambience provides for a nice atmosphere for whatever occasion. We were having a nice intimate date night and there were 2 birthdays being celebrated as well and the noise level still provided for the enjoyment of our conversation without yelling across the table at each other. The service was where we had an issue. It started as excellent service with a waitress who seemed quite knowledgeable and attentive. That changed around 9pm. I am not sure what takes place at that time or if her shift was coming to an end, but she was rarely seen after we received the appetizers and bread. She did not bring a knife to cut the meat and also forgot to bring out the sides for our entrees. She actually asked if she could bring them out when she came to take our plates after the meal was finished, which we both thought was odd. There were additional faux pas, but do not want to take away from the rest of the experience. As for the food, it was amazing. They have a decent wine selection which probably includes something for everyone's liking. The bread was incredible and just came out of the oven. The menu is compact, and offers a choice from all groups (meat, chicken or seafood). The menu is created each day with some slight changes, so the options seem limitless. The 6 oz Filet almost didn't need a knife to cut it was so melt in your mouth delicious. Prepared perfectly. I do not have any difficulty recommending this restaurant if you enjoy fine dining. The service issues were unfortunate but have to give the young lady the benefit of the doubt as to what changed during the service since she started off so well.

Adelaide, Australia
“Lovely restaurant”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The place is well set up, the food is great and the staff are terrific. We only wanted a light supper so shared the blue Finn pate, delicious and the main vegetarian dish, spring explosion (?). And it was a wonderfully tasty dish. The wine list seems to have no local wines, but my French Pinot noir was just right.

Monroe, New Jersey
“You must go to Legume if you are in or near Pittsburgh”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

An unbelievable experience. Just to name one thing...smoked bluefish pate. I don't like bluefish smoked or otherwise but my husband said we should try it....so we order it along with another pate..pork, beef, and pistachio. The bluefish pate was awesome...so smooth and creamy and was served with thin, toasted slices of baguette that were soaked in butter. Wow!! Obviously not for every day, but as a special vacation treat..YES. The restaurant offers things that you don't see on menus...anywhere. We also had a dandelion green salad. It was delicious. Special corn, and the meats were really done well. We enjoyed Legume so much...and so wish we lived in the area so we could go back...but maybe that is a bad wish as I would be as big as a house if I ate there often. If you are anywhere near Pittsburgh...you must go...you will not be sorry. Oohhhhh I forgot the dessert. Just as memorable as the appetizers and entrees. Wonderful meal.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Deemer5
Charlottesville, Virginia
“One of the Best Ever”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Dinner at Legume in Pittsburgh was one of our wisest recent decisions. We went early, at 5:30, and by 6:30 it was packed. As soon as we walked in the door, the aromas convinced us we had found a special spot. The food is local if possible. Extraordinary attention is paid to detail and healthy eating, using all fresh ingredients without GMO's, and with no sacrifice of flavor. There are great menu choices, depending on the market, which included wild-caught Copper Canyon salmon, and several steaks. The atmosphere is modern, upbeat, informal, with a touch of earthiness. Reception & service were superb. We won't miss another opportunity to return.

• Visited May 2014