“Excellent experience”
Review of Legume

Legume
Reserve with OpenTable
Legume is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 2,167 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bayard
Transit: The 71C, 71A, 54 and 93 all stop at the intersection of N. Craig and Bayard. Additional buses stop at N. Craig and Fifth Ave., approximately 1 and 1/2 blocks south of Legume.
Edinburgh
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had a lovely evening meal in Legume. Very strong service, interesting and delicate flavoured food, unusual combinations of ingredients. Overall we would strongly recommend and will return to try the taster menu. Recommend the duck confit and the bread pudding.

Ruth and John

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food and service on restaurant side. Don't waste your time on bar side”
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Showed up an hour early for reservation and went to the bar side to have a few drinks. Took 10-15 minutes before I even ordered and was at a seat at the bar - not even 2 deep. Employee TOLD my girlfriend and her friend they had to move from a table they were sitting at - not even kindly asked. Very rude. As for the actual dinner experience, complete 180 on restaurant side. Service was great and friendly. Food was great. Portions were smaller than expected for price. No sides served either with entrees.

Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States
“A Different Kind of Restaurant from Pittsburgh Style”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My first impression was that I was in NYC not Pittsburgh after looking at the menu. Many of the items on the menu were unique but good. I had Butternut Squash soup which was very good followed by Ravioli that had greens on top. This was a first for me. I guess "Legume" is the clue to that recipe. I personally would have preferred the greens served alone. Parking is not a problem as there is a garage directly across the street. All in all I will return at some time in the future as I understand the menu changes quite frequently.

• Visited November 2013
Montreal, QC
“excellent experience”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at legume. We selected the "just cooking" option, which is a tasting menu, with wine pairing. Most of the dishes were very imaginative, used excellent ingredients, and were well executed. The opening appetizer was a selection of pickled vegetables, which made for a very nice and savory start to the meal. This was paired with a brut rosé for the Loire, one of my favorite sparkling wines, and a good match with the pickled vegetables. Next came a grilled radicchio salad with an excellent mustard vinaigrette. Again, like the first dish, this was very tangy and delicious. The wine was a sauvignon blanc, also from the Loire. It was a wonderful wine, with a long finish, and even though it's hard to match such a tangy salad, the match worked well. The third course was a lamb ragout with pasta, paired with a syrah from Washington State. After the sharp complexity of the first dishes, the pasta seemed rather bland, and the wine was the kind of oaky New World wine that I don't tend to like anyway. Why not pair this with an Italian wine, like a Ripasso, or even a Chianti? The next dish, the yellowfin tuna, was another winner, seared on the outside, but tender and rare otherwise, and it came with kalamata olives, capers and pickled yellow beans, returning us to the savory world of the first two dishes. This dish was paired with a Pinot Noir from the Languedoc. I couldn't really taste this wine after the preceding dish/wine combo, which was a shame. We sampled five desserts. I'm not really a fan of rich, creamy desserts, a category that could describe four of the five. The poached pear was my favorite. I've noticed that other nights that have more fruit-based desserts, which I prefer, so I guess I had bad luck on that account. The service was wonderful, and the ambiance of the restaurant was warm and convivial. I will definitely return, esp. if I don't have to take a taxi home (what's up with the taxis in Pittsburgh, anyway?) This place is very reasonably priced, and a real winner.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank ferdtelvin
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Impressive Service”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Location is a little concerning as area isn't the safest. However, parking in parking garage across the street for two dollars. Food is excellent as is the service.Our waiter was attentive and very informed regarding menu offerings. Menu varies by day and is sure to not disappoint. Chef will make vegetarian dishes when requested. Wouldn't recommend dessert as it's not as impressive as the food. Prices are that of a good restaurant and main courses are worth the price. Would suggest not taking young children as menu might not be to their liking. Will visit again but will go earlier in the evening due to the neighborhood. Recommend you make reservations.

• Visited September 2013