“Eco-friendly fun!”
Review of Legume

Legume
Reserve with OpenTable
Legume is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 2,204 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bayard
Transit: The 71C, 71A, 54 and 93 all stop at the intersection of N. Craig and Bayard. Additional buses stop at N. Craig and Fifth Ave., approximately 1 and 1/2 blocks south of Legume.
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our group of five friends entered LEGUME with high expectations and were not disappointed. From the moment we walked in, the staff, especially Becky, was attentive and energetic.She explained the farm to table concept with great expertise. The menu, though limited, has an appropriately diverse listing from vegetarian to lamb and short ribs. Appetizers and entrees included a lot of farm fresh veggies and fruits. I especially enjoyed the ricotta ravioli with tiny golden tomatoes. Another favorite at our table was the corn soup. Diners just had to share with those of use who chose other appetizers. We all shared our lovely, rich desserts of pannacotta (sp?) and a rich dark chocolate confection. Can't wait for a return visit.

1  Thank colleen C

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The place is just a block away from where we stay, we decided to go there for a casual dinner in a rainy evening not knowing it's gonna make our day.. Local food is the restaurant's staple, and we tried their lamb steak from local farm - it is really good, a delicate balance of the freshness of ingredients and the flavor of cooking - tender, juicy and tasty. Complemented with the unique flavor of golden rice, it really makes a mouth watering dish. The serving size is HUGE, we actually had to wrap almost half back.. We also had their salmon, not bad too, but not so exceptional as the lamb steak I'd say..

The servers are attentive, the dishes took some time to come, and they seemed terribly sorry for that. The atmosphere is better than average, clean, simple, good enough for a even formal gathering..

1  Thank xyangt
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Went there July 5 with a group of 5 of us. The food selection was unique and the servers knew there stuff. They explained the dishes in detail. The food was fantastic and the servie was jsut the right level -- not over-bearing, but there when you needed them. The atmosphere was modern and chic -- skewed towards a minimalist style, but warm and inviting. It was also nice in that the noise level was good such that we didn't have to scream over music or our fellow dinners to be heard. Great restuarant to experience good farm to table products integrated in a wonderful way to delivery a fresh take on food. Good wine list, as well. Definitely one of the top restaurants we've been to in the Pittsburgh area.

Note: Valet parking is actually across the street, not right in front of the restuarant -- so you need to be on the lookout when arriving. Also, be sure to get your ticked stamped at restaurant for reduced price.

3  Thank Changeforapenny
Reviewed June 25, 2012

What a wonderful restaurant! They are known for local ingredients, farm to table, and they do it right! I had an amazing tile fish on a lovely bed of grains, surrounded by sugar peas. Probably one of the best dishes I've ever had (and we do eat out a lot!). Very fresh, burst in your mouth taste, light and delicious. The steak tartare appetizer was also yummy. The wine recommendations were spot on. We had a crisp Austrian white which they recommended, and I had a merlo-malbec blend that was very good. I would love to go back to Legume -- very, very good!

1  Thank caddyChicago
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I generally don't stay in the Oakland district of Pittsburgh, but hotel room shortages put me in the Residence Inn University/Medical Center for several days. A night alone found me in the bar of Legume, an American Bistro that recently relocated from downtown. Friendly bartenders, excellent service and great food. I had a Pork Ravioli that was not only very favorful, but the perfect size for a comfortable meal at the bar. If I stay in Oakland again, I will definitely visit Legume.

1  Thank BozemanMike