“Not as good as your average Capital Grille”
Review of Capital Grille

Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Capital Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 2,178 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Wood Street
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not as good as your average Capital Grille”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

All Capital Grilles are not the same, it is part of their charm. This one is by far not as good as the DC or NY ones. Food is OK, nothing out of this world, service is pretty mediocre, and the place was pretty dead on a Saturday night.

• Visited January 2013

Houston
“Overpriced, overated”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I dined at the Capital Grille in Pittsburgh over Christmas. The restaurant was not busy. The waitress approached reasonably soon after we were seated, was pretty attentive during dinner, but disappeared toward the end of dinner, requiring us to wait some time for our check.

The food was not very good. My wife's relatives (two) ordered a certain steak they liked, and were happy with it. My wife and I....not so much. We started with oysters, which were quite good (how do you screw up oysters?). She then ordered a special dish....shrimp stuffed with crab, and I ordered a dry-aged sirloin with a porcini rub. I also ordered roasted creminini/portabella/shitake mushrooms, and the relatives ordered the au gratin potatoes. The potatoes were undercooked, and removed per everyone's request. The mushrooms were simply bland, almost no taste at all. My wife's shrimp/crab was likewise.....no one at the table like the dish. My steak was dry, a bit tough, and had little flavor added by the rub. Frankly, any steak I cook would beat this expensive steak hands down!

To their credit, they did not charge for the shrimp or potatoes. We did not complain about the mushrooms or steak, as, my guess, they were served as they were meant to be.

Overall, this was a very poor, but expensive, dining experience. We will not return.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank WoodlandsDoc
Pittsburgh
“WOW! WELL WORTH THE MONEY”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My Husband and I & 6 others ate at the Capital Grille on Christmas Eve. I had the tomato mozzarella, very different way of it being served, but very good. My husband had the french onion soup which is out of this world. I had the surf & turf and the lobster was very tasty. Service was fantastic! I wish I could eat there once a month. Everyone of us loved our dinners.

• Visited December 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great place for a client dinner”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We took a group to dinner consisting of our group and our client's for a team-building dinner. Excellent venue to share good wine, great food and healthy conversation. The steaks were made to perfection, the lobster bisque incredibly was tasty and the side dishes were delicious. The only slight negative was the portrait of Mr. Rogers on the wall. While everyone recognizes his celebrity, our clients were from out of town and didn't quite appreciate this Pittsburgh treasure joining us during our dinner.

Pa
“Wonderful food, terrible hostess.”
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

The decor was elegant. The calamari blew us away. Hot chilies mixed amongst tender fried calamari. One of the best I ever had. Don't order chopped salad, because it is not. So why pay for it? Redeemed itself with the perfectly cooked rare filet. Very near perfect. Coconut dessert was delectable. However, evening ended on a downer with the disdainful front hostess. Because the valet was half a block away, I asked where the valet was to get my card. She was most rude with both her tone and attitude. "Right out front, duh." We'll, dud, it wasn't when I arrived. Too bad it left a bad taste in my mouth after a delicious meal.