“Food quality is excellent, as always”
Review of Capital Grille

Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Capital Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Wood Street
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.
Pittsburgh
“Food quality is excellent, as always”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I had just gone to the Capital Grille in NYC last week, so I thought comparing the two locations within the week would be interesting.

On ambiance, the NYC location felt nicer. I was in front of the kitchen in both places (did I look tolerant or inquisitive?) but the Pittsburgh location's kitchen is brighter and more into the dining room. For those who want to be in the kitchen action, it is a great option. It wasn't my preference, but it didn't bother me either. You definitely are in the action of the wait staff. Lots of traffic.

Food-wise and wait staff wise, Pittsburgh was much better overall. The NYC staff (3 men) sequencing of who is waiting on us, and who is on the "team" led to confusion regarding getting the meal in a timely and accurate manner. In Pittsburgh, one very competent female managed the meal order with great accuracy and managed to get me that spinach salad I never got in NYC. It was excellent by the way. Just excellent.

The food quality was very good. I had the spinach salad with a petite fillet lunch special with the creamed spinach followed by the creme brulee with berries. My lunch partner had the lobster bisque with a salmon fillet with a salad which looked (and tasted) excellent. We both felt the food quality was excellent. Lunch total was over a hundred with tea and coffee, but we both felt it has been a great lunch. The NYC tab was more, and I am not sure why, other than paying more for the sides in NYC when the lunch in Pittsburgh included them.

I did have difficulty making the reservation online that morning. It wouldn't go through on my phone and it was very frustrating. I actually poked my head in the door on the way to my morning meeting, found someone working there and made the reservation in Pittsburgh that way. In NYC, we didn't have a reservation and the place filled up quickly after we got there.

Both places were packed.

I highly recommend the filet I had. It has been years since I had a cut of meat prepared so well. Very well done. Or, rather, medium please.

• Visited January 2012

Venetia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good, try the lobster mac and cheese!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We have been here a number of times. Estelle, our server, is great. We always enjoy it. The pineapple stoly doley martini is excellent.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Menu!”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The service at Capital Grille was fantastic and so was the food! They made my birthday so special - they even put confetti on the table and gave me a free dessert! They were so accommodating and they certainly exceeded my expectations. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Visited December 2011
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“One of Pittsburgh's best!”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Tucked away on 5th Avenue, away from the rush, the Capital Grille is a nearly hidden jewel. This is not a typical Darden restaurant. Just a short walk from the cultural district you will feel like you just entered your own private club. The atmosphere is set by the deep wood paneling and the artwork.
But all of that pales next to the service and food. Our server treated us like we were our only table. She and her crew made sure that our every want was met. The menu was sumptuous, and our party tried several different steak options. The quality of the meat was superb and all were cooked as requested. A great wine selection added to the evening. We were fortunate to be seated in one of the side rooms which enhanced our experience. Seating in the main room is a little close, but the side rooms are a bit more private and quiet. All in all a great experience!

1 Thank RichLP
Bonn, Germany
“unforgettable”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Do you know this feeling of tasting something great and knowing you will never forget this experience? Thinking of the most memorable culinary experiences I had over the last years, the steak I had at capital grill during our stay in Pittsburgh ranges No. 1. If you are non-vegetarian and ever visit the area, I strongly recommend dining at this place. If you are vegetarian, have only one bite and you will sure be converted.

• Visited December 2010