“Best Hotel Deal in Pittsburgh Airport Area”

Hyatt Place Pittsburgh/Airport
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My wife and I live in the Pittsburgh area and decided to get away for an evening. We were wonderfully rewarded at this newly renovated Hyatt. We got the $89 deal and it was worth every penny -- clean and sparkling room, fabulous 42" LG LCD screen, kitchen, exceedingly comfortable king bed. Breakfast was excellent as well. They also have a pool. For the money, there is not a better deal in the Pittsburgh Airport area. (By the way, you get all the amenities of the Hyatt at the Airport except the in-house restaurant and $20 parking fee.)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Pittsburgh/Airport

Reviewed April 25, 2009

Wonderful stay. Quiet hotel. Comfortable rooms, wonderful bedding and linens. Extremely clean. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. Check-in and check-out was extremely fast.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2009

I was exceptionally pleased with this hotel and hope to stay there on future visits to Pittsburgh. I stayed at this hotel for two nights, and I had never heard of the brand, though obviously I was familiar with Hyatt. I had a quick and efficient check-in with extremely helpful staff. Lobby is new and nicely decorated with cash counter service for drinks, snacks, and sweets (as well as other food during certain times) -- the cookies are fantastic!

Anyway, I walked into my room, and I think I actually said, "Wow!" VERY nicely decorated, very clean, very large, and...a 42" plasma TV. I was shocked as I have been wondering when the hotel chains would start placing flat screen TVs in rooms because I have been staying at otherwise nice hotels that have been recently remodeled, and they have all had the old CRT TVs. Not only did this hotel have the big TV, but they also have a built-in panel with various connections (computer, A/V) so if you have the capability to connect a DVD player or computer, you can enjoy the big screen with it. The room had a separate bar sink with a mini-fridge underneath. Both that countertop and the bathroom one were granite -- nice touch.

The bed was large and comfy with five pillows. The bath area (toilet and shower) was clean but otherwise unremarkable. Shower was strong and hot -- you could turn it up so it was scalding, which should probably be addressed if you have young children. Lights were everywhere and were bright -- with everything on, you could probably do surgery! Fortunately, there were many options to adjust the light to a good level. There was a LARGE sectional sofa which could seat about six and apparently had a pullout bed, which I did not use. There's also a sizeable desk with convenient power outlets for a computer -- wireless was easy to set up and quick.

The morning breakfast was good, and the best part is that it starts at 6am. There was fresh fruit (apples, oranges and bananas as well as large bowls of cut up melons and grapefruit), various cereals including oatmeal, yogurt, toast & bagels, juices, and coffee & tea (Starbuck's? don't recall). There were other hot items available for an additional charge, but I was happy with the free items.

While it is slightly difficult to find the hotel since it's tucked behind a shopping center, there is very convenient access to a whole host of restaurants in the area as well as the grocery store which is in walking distance. If you don't have a car, it would be problematic for restaurants, but so would nearly all of the hotels in the airport area. It is located within 1-2 miles of most of the other "airport" hotels. I've now stayed at five airport hotels, and this one is the best so far. I guess that it's 1 mile further than most of the others, but the time to the airport is nearly the same because it's easy to get on the road that leads to the airport.

The staff was great during my time there, and I was very pleased with their professionalism and helpfulness. The only downside was when I thought I left something at the hotel and, despite telling the front desk person that I was leaving town immediately, I could not get anyone from housekeeping on the phone to see if they had found it (the one person available was "on the floor" and could not be reached, which I find hard to believe). I believe that the poor service on that occasion was an individual issue and not endemic to the hotel. Otherwise, I was pleased with the staff.

Parking was adequate. Elevator was a little slow, but there were two. I used the stairs mostly since I was only on the third floor. I did not use the pool or the fitness area. HVAC was little odd (too hot unless turned down to 68 or so) but fine. The only small complaint I have is that mini-fridge made the strangest noise, a metallic clinking or snapping. It wasn't loud nor constant, but it kept me awake a bit the first night until I got used to it. Probably specific to the room I was in and unlikely to be hotel-wide. Didn't bother me enough to complain.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank AndrewinMD
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Consistency seems to be the byword of the hotel industry now days. Whether you stay at a Hyatt Place in Denver, Houston, Detroit, or Pittsburgh, there is one thing that you can be sure of... You will never get lost in a Hyatt Place. That means, rankings will need to be based on condition, noise, neighborhood, and how problems are handled.

While the Hyatt Place Pittsburgh Airport has "Airport" in its name, it isn't what I would call next to the airport. It is about 10 miles away in a fast food / commercial suburban district. I hope you like fast food because there isn't much of quality in the area. Moe's Southwest Grill ("Welcome to Moe's!"), Subway, Chipotle, Outback, and Beppa di Buca are probably your best bets. On my first night in I usually walk over to the Giant Eagle supermarket (the hotel is right behind the Giant Eagle) and pick up fruit, drinks, and snack food for the week. Your room has a fridge, so make use of it.

With electronic check-in / check-out, you never need to deign contact with the locals. This is a shame, for as with the Denver Hyatt Place, the staff is very friendly and they go out of their way to be sure your stay is "wonderful"... or at least acceptable, given it is suburban Pittsburgh. "South" facing rooms, the ones to the back of the hotel, the even numbered rooms, are quieter.

On the positive side, this Hyatt Place is less expensive than any of the 3 Marriotts within a mile (yes, their "airport" hotels aren't near the airport either).

On the down side, be careful about which room you get. They are in the process... a very slow process... of upgrading their HVAC units. Many rooms have the older roaring units that may wake you up several times a night. Newer units are much much quieter.

The excercise room is fairly small but appropriate with 2 treadmills, a bike, and a stairmaster. The treadmills have a TV in them and the hotel provides headphones and clean earcovers. They also have a pool, which looks good though small.

They have a shuttle (no it doesn't go to the airport... that would be too far away) to take you to the local office buildings, but I strongly recommend renting a car at the airport (cheaper places such as Thrifty and Payless have good cars) as you do plan on eating right?

All-in-all, it is acceptable. It is no vacation hotel, but it is no vacation destination, especially at -8 degrees F as it was last week. It is predictable, mostly clean, and a good location if you have to work temporarily in one of the nearby offices.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank GeoMedic
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I was in Pittsburgh for the first time last week for business and picked the Hyatt Place for my stay. I was definitely not disappointed! From the moment I checked in to the day I left I had a very enjoyable stay. One of the morning employees Fred really stood out. Each morning he offered his advice from where to eat around town to what he can do to make my stay more enjoyable and had great life stories. The staff also allowed me and my colleague to use there tables all morning in the front lobby area to do our business training. The front desk was very always helpful answering my many questions and having the shuttle take me wherever I needed to go promptly even back to the airport! They also allowed me to do an extra long extended check out to the early evening which is unheard of to accommodate my late flight home. Their business center featured two computers w/printer that were hardly ever occupied and came with high speed internet. I only ate breakfast there which featured a great complimentary breakfast as well as a Kiosk menu where you can order other breakfast items. The food was fresh and delicious everyday! For a avid person gym rat who likes to lift weights and do cardio ask the front desk to take you to Extreme Fitness which is less than a mile away. It's a full real gym and they have a weekly and daily membership for hotel guests. The rooms were large and clean. I had one full size comfortable bed which I think they should get down comforters for. The room featured a large living room area with bar/sink, small refrige, l shaped couch and desk. The room was always nice and clean and didn't smell! The best part was there 42inch LG TV which was awesome and a great touch! This hotel is in the middle b/t Airport and downtown so it's a great location and has many named brand stores and restaurants within a mile of it. This hotel from the staff, rooms and food was great and I definitely recommend it for all.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank NickGNewJersey
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My title maybe a little deceiving. The Hyatt Place Pittsburgh Airport is an amazing hotel. It's nice, clean and the employees were great. But, the hotel is a little hard to find (its behind the Giant Eagle grocery store. You can go through grocery parking lot to get there.) The breakfast has a little to be desired. It is very close to shopping of all kinds and an Ikea. We would definitely stay there again especially for the $129 price-tag.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kenleys2016
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Travelling to Pittsburgh for work on a consistent basis lately, I've had the opportunity to stay at several different hotels in the area. Among these, the Hyatt Place Pittsburgh Airport has become one of my favorites. I have stayed there on three different occasions over the past three months, and each stay has been great.
Not travelling with a car, one of the great things about the Hyatt Place is that they offer two free shuttle services. The first free shuttle is an Airport Express that will pick you up at the airport and drive you to the hotel - just use the Hyatt Place courtesy phone in the airport located near Baggage Claim or call the hotel directly (please note that even though this hotel is called the Pittsburgh Airport Hyatt Place, it is about a 15 minute drive to the hotel from the airport). The second free shuttle will drive you and pick you up anywhere within a five-mile radius from the hotel. The shuttle driver, Fred, is very nice and will accommodate all reasonable transportation needs.
The location of this hotel worked great for my needs but it may not work for everyone - it's in between the airport and downtown region, so it's not particularly close to either. There are a lot of restaurants across the street from the hotel in the Robinson Mall area (mainly chains like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Chili's, TGI Friday's, Bahama Breeze, but also the new Ditka's Restaurant, which was great). There is also a Giant Eagle grocery store directly next to the hotel. If you need to go downtown, you can call for a taxi, but you may have to wait for a while, and it'll cost about $25 each way.
The hotel offers a great complementary self-serve breakfast. This consists of bagels, toast, fruit, oatmeal, cereals, yogurt, coffee, and juices. The rooms have 42" flat screen TVs. Free Internet/Computer/Printer use is offered in a mini-business center on the first floor. Free USA Today is delivered each weekday.
To sum it up, this hotel is a great place to stay, but check the location to make sure it will be convenient for you.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank PhilsPhan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Coraopolis
Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport

Been to Hyatt Place Pittsburgh/Airport? Share your experiences!