“long stay”

Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #46 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The first time we stayed here was for 9 days, it was great, manager was super nice and let us check in early, even called me when the room was ready! We went away for christmas break and came back for long term stay, this time it wasn't so GREAT, first off, the room was pretty dirty, really dusty and had old food on the backsplash of the kitchen, also had dirty/greasy hand prints on the bathroom door. We went down to get some milk, the exp date was still good, but when I poured it in the glass it was CHUNKY! GROSS!!!! so we called down to the front desk to notify them that their milk was sour, we had gotten 2 of them. The lady at the front desk just chuckled and said "ok" not anything like O do you want your money back?? Nope !!! Next we pulled the sheets down to get in bed, and there were MULTIPLE little black hairs in the sheets, GROSS!! I stripped the bed and asked for some more sheets, same thing, got some more sheets, even the matress pad had little black hairs in it!! That is horrible in my opinion, I do not want to be sleeping in someone elses pubs!!! The person who stayed here before must of had a pull up bar, which left black marks on the door frame, took me 2 min to wipe it off, pretty easy but I guess the cleaning people didn't seem to think so.... the room was sooo dusty you could write your name in the dust like someone stated earlier... THE next item made me want to leave.... when I went to take the trash bag out of the bathroom trash can, Ilifted up the liner, and there was a needle and a bloody band-aid in the bottom of the trash can!!! How can you explain that one??? We put it out in the hall way and requested a new one, it wasn't the front desk's fault and the guy was very nice and apologetic about it but obiously the cleaning people saw it and just thew a bag in on top of it! That is totally unacceptable!!!! did a manager call and acknowledge the problem? NO and still haven't heard from one..... If I was a manager of a hotel and my guest found a needle... I would be having a talk with the cleaning staff because they do not do a good job, then the towels we had in the room also had little black hairs in them, so I went to ross and bought some of my own so I wont have that problem, the fake wood floors are also very dirty, I also had to vacume when we first got here because NO JOKE there was a half an inch of dust and dirt along the baseline of the floor!!!! someone needs to be checking these rooms because this one slipped through the crack! On the other hand I like that the laundry is free, and have dvd players in the room and dvd check outs, nice little work out center, and the front desk is always friendly and nice. I just wish they had a restaurant or something!! O one last thing, THERE IS NO KING SIZE BEDS!!! only queen :( and the walls are very very thin in here, you can hear everything your neighbors are saying and doing, you can hear people coming down the hallway from the elevator

Room Tip: get a 3rd floor room so you can't hear everything the people above you are doing
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Casey H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Casey H,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We attend numerous conventions in the winter months and Candlewood Suites is typically my first choice. I love the setup, i.e., the kitchens, big desk by the TV, large bathrooms with shelves to store your toiletries’. I especially LOVE that fact that you can open the windows for fresh air. We stayed her for a convention in downtown Pittsburgh and it was only short drive. The past two years we had stayed in The Hampton Inn Greentree however they continued to increase in price annually and this year went up to $120.00 a night so Candlewood at $77.00 per night was a great deal. I love that fact that they still offer smoking rooms for those of us that don’t want to stand outside in freezing weather. I will drive the extra miles to find a smoking room, another reason why I love the ability to open the window. This was a very clean and nicely maintained hotel and I will definitely stay here again when returning to Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
WesternPATexan, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments and recommendation to others. We hope you will return to us next year when back in the area for your conventions. We currently have a dozen smoking rooms with most of them located on the third floor (for the consideration of other guests).

Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel because of bad weather, and I was nervous because I've never stayed at a Candlewood Suites before. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. He even gave me free toiletries which I had forgotten. The room was nice. Large bathroom. Freshly remodeled living area. Huge desk. The kitchen was equipped with a full sized fridge, oven, microwave, sink, and supplies.

Even though the hotel seemed booked (there were school buses parked in the lot), i couldn't hear anyone at night. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Shamu2975

We are happy to hear of your positive experience with us earlier this year! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. There are around 300 Candlewood Suites across the country. We hope you will consider staying with us again and at our sister properties in the future. We offer a great option for travelers seeking their own space while traveling.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Arrived quite late and left very early. This was a stopover at the begining of a seven thousand kilometer long trip. Room was well equiped and in good repair. We did find, however, the room was not the cleanest.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Our apologies for your recent experience at the Candlewood Suites Pittsburgh. We appreciate your frank feedback, and are taking steps to mediate the situation. Our property has a new General Manager who has already implemented brand standards and making positive changes! We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you when traveling through our area.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked this hotel based on the location and the number of good reviews posted on the website. Unfortunately, we had a very different experience. We found our room to be very dusty (write your name in the dust dusty), food splatters from the stove on the side of the refrigerator, food remaining in the refrigerator from prior guest, and the final straw was the stink bug climbing up the wall. We did not stay the night. The young lady at the desk was apologetic and arranged a refund for our pre-paid room. We asked for a manager, but there was no manager on-duty. We went back twice the next day to speak with the manager, but he was never there (despite being on-duty). I will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sodinpit
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I will absolutely be booking with this hotel the next time I am in the area.

VERY affordable. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was a spacious and VERY clean suite. Full kitchen, comfy bed with nice sheets, and a clean bathroom.

I have stayed in many different hotels in the Pgh area and I think this one was by far my favorite.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience. We are glad you found our hotel and plan to return on future trips to the area.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just went out to see the STEELERS crush Jets, ha! This place was perfect for going to the game and as any girls knows...Gotta shop for something to take home too! THis location had it ALL! Plus, dog friendly...Took my dog and the girl at the desk walked him at half-time(for a nice tip) But, REALLY, does it get ANY more perfect? NOT.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WeddingCakeBaker

Thank you for sharing your positive experience from your stay this past fall. Yes, we are pet friendly and welcome you and your dog back anytime. We are hopeful next year our football season will have a better ending!