“Spent our WEDDING NIGHT here, but MAKE SURE you...”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #62 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The management was very friendly. They first gave us a room that wasn't made up! OOPS! But, that's ok, they quickly gave us the next room over.

It's an Econolodge, not Hampton. It was very cheap, and there were some reasons why. Everything was clean, but not totally updated. Teensy bit musty. Cheap paint job (very noticeable in the bathroom, where it was splattered on here and there.)

BUT, there was one really nice thing: the Breakfast was surprisingly large. Cereal, waffles, milk, coffee, the works. BUT, here's the thing: There are VERY FEW SEATS in the breakfast area. Like 7. So, the "Make sure you..." in the title is this: Make sure you get up, go get your breakfast, and take it back to the room! You'll be able to eat in peace and not have people stepping over you.

Room Tip: He was hesitant to give me a room in the back building, in case I was afraid. It's Crafton, for...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I recall these types of motel rooms as being "the good rooms" from road trips with my family as a child. So, yes, it is a little dated but our room was very clean and comfortable. We had a king sized bed with a couch and coffee table, so lots of room. The breakfast was what you'd expect for a motel breakfast: lots of sugar and caffeine, however they did offer some fruit and there was a waffle machine. If you'd rather some protein in your diet, you can walk to the family diner right next door. The motel is about a 15 minute drive from downtown Pittsburgh and Monday morning traffic can be a pain (we were delayed an additional 15 minutes). If you are passing through on I-79, heading to the airport or traveling on a weekend/holiday, the traffic should not a problem (at least in the morning). I'd certainly give this establishment another go!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

during our trip to Pittsburgh we had a very hard time finding a hotel due to everything being booked. we ended up finding the econo lodge. The room was very clean. a little dated but clean. The beds were comfortable and it is the most quiet place I have ever stayed. A very good hotel for well under 100 a night. Kings restaurant is right next door for a great breakfast in the morning. we would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here during my vacation in Pittsburgh. It was very easy to find as soon as I got off I-79 (even though I didn't follow the directions Google Maps gave me). I was warmly greeted by the owner when I arrived and was promptly processed even though it was apparent he was training a new employee. When I got to my room I found it clean, spacious and new looking. I would have liked if the AC had been turned on prior to my arrival since it was quite hot.

My bed was nice and firm and had clean sheets. I would have liked a blanket, but the bedspread worked well enough. There was a new coat of paint on the wall and while it wasn't super neat or the color I would have chosen it was nice to see they care about the upkeep of their property. The sink and vanity was separate from the commode and shower and all four were very well cleaned with not a single hint of hair or scum.

Perhaps the only downside was that breakfast ceased at 9 a.m. Even McDonald's gives you until 10:30 a.m. Even though it was late June, the outdoor pool was drained and closed and didn't look like it would be opened any time soon. This was really no bummer for me, as I had not planned on using it. Families, though, may be disappointed by this. Overall this hotel was a clear four out of five rating.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JokerBill
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights with a friend from college while visiting Pittsburg to see a couple pirates games. Place was about what we expected for what you pay. Old, smelly, and showed wear. The room right next to the lobby we assumed was storage bc there were bugs crawling all over the window. Our room however was ok. No major issues or cleanliness problems. Would I ever bring my family here. No not a chance. Would I ever stay here again....ehh probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid if possible unless your are on really tight budget.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dan Z
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Badly needs updating, smells bad, sketchy area- spend more money for a better room- you'll sleep better! Wish I hadn't listened to the other reviewers. Easy access to the highway, clean & a free breakfast (my teenage son passed on) ...that's as positive as I can get. Poor value.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KChac
Reviewed April 27, 2013

All I was looking for was an "average" room for the night. Our room was not even close to that. The carpeting was totally shot. The caulk around the sink and shower was broken with pieces missing. The free WiFi was so slow that it was practically useless. It just appeared to me that even small upgrades would make a huge difference. I think some other posts mentioned recently renovated rooms. Maybe they're working on it and it was just the luck of the draw that we ended up in an old room. My wife called the room "sketchy" and I think that is even a little generous. It was so bad that if it wouldn't have been so late when we checked in, we would probably have gone elsewhere.

Room Tip: ask for renovated rooms, if there are any.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
4 mi away
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#39 of 72 in Pittsburgh
Comfort Inn  - Pittsburgh / Steubenville Pike

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!