“Excellent Value”

Ranked #38 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
New York
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Very convenient location. Friendly staff. Clean and in very good repair. Very good value.
TripAdvisor Member Elmira NY

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 3, 2007

Like the reviewer below, we took advantage of our Choice rewards and booked a weekend getaway here. The staff were friendly and helpful, and our room - a queen, non-smoking - was more than adequate. It was clean, comfortable and quiet. The Continental Breakfast was better than average - fruit, yogurt, bagels, sweet rolls, cereal, sausage gravy and biscuits.

It's a bit of a drive from downtown, but close to restaurants and shopping, We recommend the Bocktown Beer and Grill nearby.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I am a bit surprised by all the bad reviews. I use Choice Hotels for business, so I had some bonus points to cash in, and selected this for a weekend trip to Pittsburgh for recreation.

As far as suites go, I thought the room was a tad bit small for a suite, but other than that everything was pretty nice. Slightly larger than an average hotel room, our room had two double beds, a couch and chair sitting area, a small kitchen area. Interior corridors, pretty average looking inside.

Everything was clean, the staff that I interacted with were nice and polite.

The location is a bit odd, you need to be careful when looking for it. There is a very large mall complex the next exit up, only about a mile. Tons of shopping, and restaurants there. While I did not need to use the airport on this trip, it is very close by.

It is about 20 -30 minutes to downtown. Since I was there over the weekend, I would guess the drive time on a week day would be more.

All this considered, it was a pretty nice stay, and I would not hesitate one bit to use this hotel on my next trip to Pittsburgh.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Lot's of restaurants nearby, but not real close to center city
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Philosophyguru
Western NY
Reviewed April 9, 2007

My wife and kids were going to Florida to visit the inlaws and booking the flight fell on me. I found that if I was willing to drive
a 6 hour round trip I could save what looked like about $200.00. It seemed a good Idea especially when I factored in that I had hotel points to use on my choice privleges credit card so a stay would be free.

Now the Hotel. We checked in at 10:30 PM. The staff was friendly and helpful. I had reserved a room with a queen bed and a pull out sofa as this place is all efficiencies. She saw we had our two daughters so she changed it to two double beds. That was a mistake as room 232 (I think) is over the lobby and also over their boiler. When it kicked on it seemed like a giant vibrating bed. it shook the room and you couldn't hear. A quick call to the desk secured a room and an
apology. The next room with the queen and pullout was not nearly as large but quite nice as well. Everything was in decent shape and we were quite satisfied. We awoke at 4:40 AM to go to the airport for their flight so our sleep there was short and we missed the continental breakfast but it looked to be fairly decent. Disregard other reviews that claim it is dirty as we found it in fine shape. We did however need additional pillows and a blanket. There was no shampoo in the shower and the pillows were small. Otherwise all was well. I do want to say the room was apointed with a stove, frige , microwave, and sink. plates and silverware. frying pans and pots too.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Proximity to Pittsburgh Airport.
  • Disliked — Room 232 when the boiler kicks on. Definitely a business Hotel.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2007

Okay, maybe I'm a little DISSAPOINTED because I was supposed to stay at the Residence Inn down the road, which I was delighted to have gotten on Priceline for $38....

But when I arrived from the airport after midnight on a freezing icy night, the Res Inn front desk lady informed me that they had overbooked and I was to be sent down the road to this MainStay Suites. Of course that was a bummer, but she was gracious and I'm thankful I only had to drive a block or two...BUUUT the Mainstay Suites certainly are a downgrade from the wonderful Residence Inn!

My only real problem with the MainStay Suites is that everything in my room seems slighty spattered and in need of a good cleaning....
The chairs, table surfaces, lampshades, refrigerator, ect, all have been visibly dripped and spewed on.

The carpet has a mysterious, big ol circular burn mark of some kind in it, what would make such a mark? A coffee can set aflame by someone unclear on the coffee brewing proccess?

The lamp by the bed didn't work, the switch was twisted off.

The room is also just kind of institutional and blah looking, appearing to have been furnished courtesy of GoodWill. Except for the beds!- the spreads are quite new looking and cheery, with tons of pillows! And we are here only just to sleep really, aren't we?

There is a small full kitchen area, equipped with a couple of plates and spoons, and the lid for a cooking pot, but the pot or pan it went to is nowhere to be found. Most likely this missing vessel was responsible for the circular carpet burn and then flung out the window to hide the evidence. If the burn don't fit you must acquit!

• Liked — The cheerful comfy beds
  • Disliked — needs to be hosed down and re-furnished
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank coando
Hermitage PA
Reviewed December 16, 2006

We stayed At Mainstay Suites Pittsburgh for one night in November. We were flying out of Pittsburgh airport the next day and were able to leave our car in the parking lot while we were gone (six days). EVERYTHING about the hotel was great. Check in was easy and the front desk staff was very helpful. We hadn't eaten dinner yet and they directed us to an area with alot of resturants. The room was very clean and well equiped. We had a one bedroom suite with a queen bed. Our flight was very early and the breakfast was not set up yet but when they found out we would be gone about 1/2 before breakfast, they set it up early so we could eat before we left. If you were planning and extended stay this is without a doubt the place to stay. The suites have small refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, toaster, oven, small cook top stove, and sink in the kitchen. There is a sitting area with a reclining chair and a rather big eating/work area bar. Also has the internet conection. Also for the extended stay they have an evening reception hour each night 5:00-6:00 with hot appetizers provided by local resturants with soda, water and beer. House keeping is daily. Also offer laundry, valet and grocery shopping services. Complimentary shuttle service to airport as well as local resturants and shopping areas. We will be staying here everytime we fly out of Pittsburgh airport.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grammasadie5
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed July 21, 2005

We have stayed several times and have never had rude service. The rooms are cute little suites..clean and comfy..The breakfast was no better or worse than other free continental breakfasts in similar hotels..For the money, in my opinion, you can't go wrong!

We didn't have any trouble finding it ,either!..:)

• Stayed April 2005