“Don't Judge a Book by it's cover.”

MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #38 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Delaware
“Don't Judge a Book by it's cover.”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The hotel was beautiful on the outside, but we were extremely disappointed with the entire experience once we stepped inside. The staff was friendly and checked us in & we went up to our room. We walked in and it was a complete mess...food everywhere, beds unmade, bathroom disgusting. We went back downstairs and were given a different room. This room smelled horrible and if you have read any of my other posts, the smell of a place is important to me. It smelled like an old sock. My husband was excited to see that they had a half size basketball court but when they gave us the ball to play it was flat...Also the parking lot was being paved and they had a shuttle come pick us up in a business parking lot 5 minutes away. We should have walked as it took over 20 minutes for the shuttle to come pick us up. Breakfast was also not up to par...very disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thanks jlpusey04 for your candid review. We appreciate hearing from you and taking the time to share your comments. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I will be looking into this further. Your business is important to us and we hope to see you again.

Doug Martin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I booked on-line with ChoiceHotels.com. The website made a mistake and booked me three rooms instead of one. It took well over an hour to get ChoiceHotels to fix the problem. They wanted to charge me for all three. The guy on their 800 number told me I should "never book a hotel at choicehotels.com, but that I should phone them. The gal at the front desk was amazing. She took well over an hour to make the proper contact with the right people at choice hotels to fix the problem.
The hotel will be my first choice when I fly through Pittsburgh. Economical, comfortable, and includes breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thanks GoYeGuy for your review and recommendation! We appreciate you choosing the Mainstay Suites Pittsburgh for your business needs and would like to apologize for the online booking issues. I will follow up with Choice Hotels regarding this problem.

We greatly appreciate your patronage and are so pleased we’re your 1st choice when flying through Pittsburgh! We look forward to being of service the next time you are in the area!

Yours truly,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Hotwire rates this hotel at 2.5 stars. That in and of itself colors a review because it holds certain expectations. The hotel is accurately described by Monica D. The vanity is worn and made of particle board and the interior doors are cheap hollow core doors. Decor is a combination of Dollar Store and Big Lots with rough kleenex. I feel sorry for the maid because it cannot be easy cleaning these worn surfaces. She looked downright depressed.

To me the hotel seemed "joyless' as employees and guests seemed to merely get through the day. Matters weren't helped by this big dead bug in the kitchen that greeted us as we arrived. For whatever reason, we were placed in a handicapped room. The room was located two long hallways from the elevator near a basketball court. That did not make sense because if there was an emergency, I would have expected handicap accessible rooms to be located closer to employees on duty. I appreciated the hotel info binder with menus of nearby restaurants. Unfortunately about a third of the 'available" television stations were not.

My favorite Pittsburgh hotel is a 3 star closer to the city, with lots of amenities and employees and guests who seem to be glad they are there. I could not book that hotel for the date that I wanted. Mainstays Pittsburgh Airport is definitely not a 2.5 star. In cheaping it out, they also cheap out the experience. But then you have to blame Hotwire as well. Every other booking site says this hotel is 2 star. I think the facility struggles even with a 2 star rating.
If you come in late at night and leave early the next morning and get it at a good price then perhaps this is the place for you. But then that defeats the purpose of having a kitchenette.
Me, I did not even take the shampoo and the bar of soap and that is a first!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the basketball court. Since this is an extended stay hotel with families with childr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our hotel, I regret that you did not have a good experience with us and sincerely apologize for all of the above. Our team is receiving a refresher on our Choice standards and will be held accountable. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences and again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share yours.
Sincerely yours,
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have stayed here for 2 nights and would probably not go back. This hotel is exactly what it's rated....2 star.
First, I will start with the positives...1) breakfast was adequate, 2) bed was comfortable, 3) location is good
Now for the negatives...1) service is poor -staff didn't seem to care about the quality of your stay. During both mornings, we had to find someone during breakfast to ask for more utensils, coffee, etc., 2) Not very clean - stains all over carpeting, walls dirty, room was dirty (looks like they didn't clean the tub, found a pubic hair in my washcloth that I used to clean my face), 3) Odor in the hotel was very profound - mixture of pet, smoke, and Indian food smell., 4) bad air flow- air conditioning wasn't on in the hallways, stairwells, exercising room, etc., although air conditioning in room was very good. 5) no maid service, 6) cheap on the toiletries (only soap and one small bottle of shampoo)

You may ask yourself...for less than $100 per night, what do you expect? Lets just put it this way, I have stayed at the Embassy Suites just down the road for only $10 more dollars per night and received outstanding service and the hotel was impeccable. I don't expect much, but the cleanliness was just horrid. This could be a good hotel, but they don't seem to care...I guess they are content with their 2 star rating?

To sum this all up, it would be a good place to stay if you have a pet as they are one of the few pet-friendly hotels in the area. Also, if you are just looking for a bed to sleep in, this is the place for you. But, personally, for a few extra dollars more, I would stay at the Embassy Suites just down the road, where you will find much better quality.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the level of service you received when trying to resolve the situation. I truly regret that we fell short of meeting the high standards we strive to achieve, and that every guest deserves. Please know I have will work with housekeeping to ensure corrective actions are being taken. I’m pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and had a good night’s sleep while staying. I hope you’ll give us another try when visiting Pittsburgh.

Warmest regards,

State College, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We had a horrible experience with a staff member at the front desk on the night of April 24th. We arrived an hour late into the airport because of a maintenance problem. I called Mainstay and asked if a shuttle could be sent to pick us up since we were spending the night there and my car was in their parking lot. The lady said it'll be right up in 10 minutes. We waited nearly half hour with no shuttle and no contact from the hotel. I called back and a new lady at the reception said that there are no shuttles available after 11 PM and we're on our own to get to the hotel. They never contacted me, called me, or anything to let us know we had to find a taxi. She was very rude about it and when I asked if they would reimburse a taxi ride, she sighed and said only this time because we were originally promised a shuttle, then she hung up on me. When we arrived she was very rude and shoved us off when I tried to explain what happened. We will never stay at that Mainstay again after they nearly left us at the airport with no transportation

Room Tip: Beds are very very hard.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian E
dundee, ny
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is in a great location, near the highway and lots of shopping and restaurants. We chose it because of the location and because one review said the beds were comfortable. We found the bed to be fine, but the room itself in need of an update, old cabinetry and plastic with fiberboard for a dresser. The bathroom was a very tight space to get ready for the wedding we came to town to attend. The walls in the room had drip marks (possibly a coffee spill) that would wipe right off if anyone had ever tried to clean them. We stayed for three nights and never received clean towels or a bed turndown or even a clean trash bag. When we spoke to the hotel we were told we were considered "extended stay" because our visit was longer than 2 days. No one mentioned the lack of fresh towels or that we needed to request a clean up when we checked in. If you are spending very little time in the room, it may be a deal for you, just don't expect too much

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear monica d,

I’m disappointed to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, please accept my personal apologies for each of your concerns. I appreciate your business and hope this experience won’t sway you away from choosing to stay in a MainStay Suites in the future.

portage
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Mainstay suites several times that we have flown out of pittsburgh. The last time we stayed we had our chihuahua with us. I was concerned about having to find a hotel that was pet friendly, well, no worries here. I called and there was no problem what so ever about bringing our pet. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. And the best thing is when you go to check in there is a hotel cat to greet you when you arrive. Wonderful place.

Room Tip: there are non smoking rooms and smoking rooms so be sure to specify
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family